Robots and Self driving vehicles are coming!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
People that are long unemployed receive above 1000 euro here I believe, with conditions attached. Some cities will start trial with unconditional basic income next year, I believe around 1500 euro a month is considered reasonable. I have been in Helsinki, I don't think life is cheaper there than here, so the Finnish 560 euro seems low to me.

Yeah robots are going to replace humans in lots of menial jobs. I cannot see this as anything but a good thing.
Menial jobs should be handled by robots. Humans should do things that interest them and that could also be productive for society. That could just be cultivating peace of mind and overall happiness, or learning about what interests them.
What about simple people who are only capable of menial jobs and want to work? Will they have to compete with robots?

Autonomous cars won't be on the market, for everybody to purchase, before 50 years, if ever. There are huge moral and liability issues the auto manufacturers don't like to speak much about. Would you buy a car that may potentially decide to kill you? The software guys are saying "we are taking care of it, if it happens, it means we screwed it" which is far from good enough for any commercial deployment.

https://arxiv.org/pdf/1510.03346.pdf

Also see the wealth of literature about the "trolley dilemma". IMO the solution is adapting the transportation infrastructure, anything else will never be safe enough, one way or another.

What about simple people who are only capable of menial jobs and want to work? Will they have to compete with robots?

If the world exists where money is obsolete then the fact a robot can do a job cheaper than a human shouldn't be a problem either. Apart from the fact that a robot might do the job better than the human, if someone wants to do something menial then I can't see a good reason for them not to be able to do it.

Buy let's say said person has an interest in gardening, walking dogs, baking cakes, etc. They could just do those instead. People like nice gardens, dogs like being walked and most people like cake. There's no worry about whether or not such activities would create enough money to put food on the table, said person could just go find people who want what they would like to give and boom, said person has something to do.

Mostly people have things they like doing, things that can actually benefit others, even if it's not profitable in today's society. So change society and they'd be able to do them.

Some people want to just laze around all day long and get fat, but for the most part people actually like being productive and doing things.

I don't use satnav so I didn't know it had become so sophisticated. I can put a sign by the road and satnavs will already know ahead of time that I am about to do it? Very impressive!

I was referring to general roadworks and traffic delays/problems for whatever reason. But yes, autonomous vehicles will be able to recognise a hazard or warning sign and be able to act accordingly, changing their route to one that isn't obstructed.

For some people the choice will be eating and watching daytime TV until they get heart failure or diabetes. Everyone else will then have to pay for their health care. In a world run by robots would it be necessary to insist that all humans have a healthy hobby and eat sensibly? 'Failure to eat greens' could be a criminal offence? Others, of course, will prefer to get their exercise by burgling houses etc.

Well there's no money for a start so no welfare to pay and most people get mighty bored just sat in front of the TV. They'd be able to call up a car, have it take them to a bowling alley, a museum, a beach, a park, etc. I think most people would rather do other things than the TV. Or if they were interested the car could take them to a place of learning where they could just enroll in a short course that takes their interest.

Perhaps look on a plethora of new apps that have people listed as being capable and interested in discussing certain areas of education. Find someone local who wants to teach about it, contact them, call up an autonomous car and meet them in a coffee shop for some one on one learning.

There's no reason to burgle a house. What would you want to steal? If you want something just go get it. You like the look of that Uber cool and somewhat unique hfi system in that dudes house? Well guess what there are loads of guys out there who love building and designing these things. You don't need to burgle him for it ask him about a custom design just for you!

Ferrari builds a Ferrari free for everyone that wants one?
Assuming its the robots designing and building them, what about the resources needed to build these massive numbers?
A lot of planetary resources are not infinite.
And people have no expectation of rewards and differentiation for being gifted, creative etc compared to others?

Joined 2016
Paid Member
Autonomous cars won't be on the market, for everybody to purchase, before 50 years, if ever. There are huge moral and liability issues the auto manufacturers don't like to speak much about. Would you buy a car that may potentially decide to kill you? The software guys are saying "we are taking care of it, if it happens, it means we screwed it" which is far from good enough for any commercial deployment.

What we probably will see sooner rather than later is autonomous road trains on motorways. It's a much simpler problem, and would allow for an increase in the capacity of the roads (closer vehicles, and bottlenecking removed - both serious limiters to capacity). And, it's the most boring part of driving, so no-one would miss it! :)

5th element said:
I think most people would rather do other things than the TV.
They already have those choices and choose not to use them.

Or if they were interested the car could take them to a place of learning where they could just enroll in a short course that takes their interest.
Their level of literacy and numeracy puts most courses beyond them. In any case, they showed no interest in learning when in school so why should they change the habit of a lifetime?

There's no reason to burgle a house. What would you want to steal?
Because it is less work than all the other methods for acquiring stuff?

If you want something just go get it.
That is what they do!

You seem to have an amusingly (or frighteningly!) positive view of human nature.

https://arxiv.org/pdf/1510.03346.pdf

Also see the wealth of literature about the "trolley dilemma". IMO the solution is adapting the transportation infrastructure, anything else will never be safe enough, one way or another.

I think the algorithms should be modified to include an evaluation of whether the pedestrians are in violation of some regulation and bias the decision with this information as well.

For example, if 20 people cross a road against the light, and the car has to make a decision whether to hit them or a barrier which will result in the passenger(s) dying , the pedestrians should be sacrificed.

As to adoption of AVs, I believe ultimately the government will force it much sooner than 50 years whether people want to adopt them or not. 10 years is probably a likely timeline.

Last edited:
As to adoption of AVs, I believe ultimately the government will force it much sooner than 50 years whether people want to adopt them or not. 10 years is probably a likely timeline.

Huh, and how exactly is the govt. going to force me to buy an AV?

The funny part is, AAs (Autonomous Airplanes) are already here, I saw with my own eyes, after a smooth landing, the pilot getting off the washroom, and somehow I don't think it was the (usually rookie) co-pilot that landed the jet. Take off, cruise and landing are already 95% on software, and we have drone technology. Though, a recent poll showed that 86% of potential passengers would not board a human pilot less plane, at any cost, even for free. AV prospective adoption numbers are much better, hovering around 60%, however that's before the first major incidents have occurred. Can you imagine the law suits, class actions, bad PR media, recalls, etc... occurring after each major crash where AVs made their life and death decisions?

A. 21/2030

To be honest I believe this time around many jobs will disappear indefinitely only to create a very few new types of jobs where humans would probably mostly take part in some type of surveillance and maintenance of the robots.

I believe the ratio between the work robots are replacing relative to the new jobs created for humans will be an order of magnitude in difference, and therefore it's quite telling when UBI (Universal Basic Income) has been one on the hot discussion topics during the recent years Bilderberg, CFR, Davos and other think-tank meetings, that there's an awareness UBI is an inevitable measure to stifle potential mass unrest due to mass unemployment for many years to come, which is already today very high in particular among young people.

The whole Western world in particular is currently going through a massive transformation probably on the scale and scope of Stalins and Maos The Great Leap, and as it looks like right now it will take many years to complete, hopefully not as lethal and inhumane.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.