Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Robots and Self driving vehicles are coming!
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th August 2017, 08:48 PM   #11
5th element is offline 5th element  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Obviously fully automated driving is a few years off but it's in its infancy.

Yes, autonomous systems can detect people and can actually tell what the people are doing, waving at the car etc. There are prototype and development systems that can, pretty much, do city centre driving without a problem. It just isn't mainstream yet.

And to the diversion signs etc? Of course the vehicle will know/notice. Sat navs already know about these things ahead of time. So will the car. And even if not perfect, as of today, things will change by the time it's needed.

Yeah robots are going to replace humans in lots of menial jobs. I cannot see this as anything but a good thing.

The trouble with society these days is our greed and dependence on money/wealth as a driving force for making life go on. It's a massive hindrance.

We can't do this because there isn't enough money, we can't do that quickly enough because we're not being given enough funding by the government etc. Do we have the planetary resources though. Of course we do. So just make it happen.

Menial jobs should be handled by robots. Humans should do things that interest them and that could also be productive for society. That could just be cultivating peace of mind and overall happiness, or learning about what interests them.

People design/build and 'do' because it's interesting. Even if money wasn't a thing, we'd still have plenty of engineers, researchers, doctors etc, wanting to 'do' because they have no choice but to 'do'. It's part of who they are. Much like musicians writing music and artists painting pictures.

Lots of robots, more people painting pictures and less focus on money. Yes please. People living for living, rather than living for the grind.
Old 7th August 2017, 09:21 PM   #12
planet10 is online now planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th element View Post
The trouble with society these days is our greed and dependence on money/wealth as a driving force for making life go on. It's a massive hindrance.

Menial jobs should be handled by robots. Humans should do things that interest them and that could also be productive for society. That could just be cultivating peace of mind and overall happiness, or learning about what interests them.
+1

Money is not a good measure of value. Something like respect is more useful. Corprations adding respect for the environment, respect of workers etc, instead of a dash for cash each quarter is a good direction.

dave
Old 7th August 2017, 09:34 PM   #13
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

What a wonderful utopian picture you paint. Who do you propose is in charge of the distribution of the wealth generated by the robots, or do we not have money anymore? The robots just do stuff that needs to be done and everything is free?
Old 7th August 2017, 09:53 PM   #14
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjoplin View Post
What a wonderful utopian picture you paint. Who do you propose is in charge of the distribution of the wealth generated by the robots, or do we not have money anymore? The robots just do stuff that needs to be done and everything is free?
"Voyage from Yesteryear" by James P Hogan paints a viable picture.

dave
Old 7th August 2017, 10:14 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Looks interesting.......
Old 8th August 2017, 12:10 AM   #16
simon7000 is offline simon7000  United States
diyAudio Member

I have been sharing the road with driverless cars now for 30 years. They started driving in a park near where I used to live. At one time the snow was so heavy I couldn't see the road, the robot did just fine.

They now go in much heavier traffic and are so common I forget about them until a visitor traveling with me gets excited.

Next step is the divide between the wealthy and the minimum income group. Expect at some point for governments to provide a minimum income, as the economics will make it cheaper than jailing all the impoverished unemployed.
Old 8th August 2017, 12:14 AM   #17
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon7000 View Post
Expect at some point for governments to provide a minimum income, as the economics will make it cheaper than jailing all the impoverished unemployed.
We are likely at or near that now.

dave
Old 8th August 2017, 09:15 AM   #18
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th element
And to the diversion signs etc? Of course the vehicle will know/notice. Sat navs already know about these things ahead of time.
I don't use satnav so I didn't know it had become so sophisticated. I can put a sign by the road and satnavs will already know ahead of time that I am about to do it? Very impressive!

Quote:
For some people the choice will be eating and watching daytime TV until they get heart failure or diabetes. Everyone else will then have to pay for their health care. In a world run by robots would it be necessary to insist that all humans have a healthy hobby and eat sensibly? 'Failure to eat greens' could be a criminal offence? Others, of course, will prefer to get their exercise by burgling houses etc.
Old 8th August 2017, 11:36 AM   #19
TheGimp is offline TheGimp  United States
diyAudio Member

Governments do not create wealth, they consume it. For the government to provide a minimum income, they have to tax some entity in order to redistribute the wealth.

If one taxes robots at a rate sufficient to redistribute the tax as a minimum sustainability income, there is no incentive for manufacturers to use the robots in the first place. And, there is no tax on robots in any country I am aware of to date. I just don't see this happening.

I do see Kiosks being rolled out in the USA where the minimum wage has been rolled up as a populous response in the last election (California and Colorado), with a net result of more people losing their minimum wage jobs.

I just don't see a Utopian world evolving from a Capitalist society. There are too many powerful companies buying off the government.
Old 8th August 2017, 05:46 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Finnish citizens given universal basic income report lower stress levels and greater incentive to work | The Independent

Robots and Self driving vehicles are coming!Hide this!Advertise here!