3 tire tread seperations since January

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have 1 HTR enhance L/X and 2 HTR A/S P01 tires that have tread separation that I am trying to get replaced under warranty I bought these tires at TireRack and they informed me that I could go to any Sumitomo Dealer with a copy of the original invoices and I would be taken care of.. I called Tire Kingdom at the Searstown Mall Titusville, FL(321) 268-5772 and talked to the manager Eddie.He said that he would not replace my tires under warranty but to talk to TireRack.
Attached Sumitomo Warranty section regarding where to get your tires serviced.
( under owner obligations)
This is getting old, all three tires have less than 10,000 miles on them.
Sending them back to TireRack will cost $15.00 each and another $15.00 for them to ship a new tire.
How do I get the local Sumitomo dealership to honor the warranty that my attachment says to take to any authorized dealer?
I E-mailed Sumitomo at info@sumitomotire.com and got this response

We are in receipt of your inquiry.
We are a wholesale tire distributor of a variety of brands of tires including Sumitomo, not a tire manufacturer. For the Sumitomo of tires, the tire dealer that sold the tires would be the one to assist you with any tire issues.
The tire dealer is responsible for inspecting the tire to determine what the issue is, and confirming that the issue and the tire are covered under any warranty. If so, the tire dealer then will execute the warranty and process any adjustments.
We suggest you talk to TireRack for next steps, since they are ultimately responsible for assisting you in this process.

Thank you,

I can't seem to find anyway to contact Sumitomo Tire directly.

Any suggestions on what I should do next?

Letters to and from TireRack

Good afternoon, Thank you for your email. I'm sorry to hear you are having issues with your tires. Are you referring to all 4 tire on both order having tread separation? The tires would need to be returned to us for warranty inspection and credit. As long as the tires are not down to 2/32 of tread and have true tread separation, the tire would be warranted for full credit less any shipping costs to return. Are you seeing the actual tread separating from the tire? The tire can also be taken to an authorized dealer in your area for a hands on inspection and they would handle the warranty claim for you. We thank you for your business. If you need further assistance or have any other questions, please contact our Customer Service Department and we'll be happy to assist you. We are available at 1-888-541-1777, extension 4360. Tamara Rafalski | Customer Service Representative __________________________________________________________ Tire Rack 7101 Vorden Parkway South Bend, IN 46628 O: 888 981 3953 ext. 4166 O: 574 287 2345 ext. 4166 F: 574 236 7707 tamara@tirerack.com Tire Rack - Your performance experts for tires and wheels -----Original Message----- From: custsvc@tirerack.com [mailto:custsvc@tirerack.com] Sent: Monday, July 17, 2017 12:28 PM To: Customer Service <custsvc@tirerack.com> Subject: Question for Customer Service From www.tirerack.com Below is the result of your feedback form. It was submitted by bobjmoran@netzero.net on Mon Jul 17 11:28:08 CDT 2017, tr-app14 User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:54.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/54.0.0.1 Waterfox/54.0.0.1 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Name: Bob Moran Order Number: P399180 Message: Order numbers V858147,P399180 I have 2 HTR A/S P01 that I bought from you (P399180 HTR A/S P01 (H- or V-Speed Rated) (Qty:2) 06/17/2014 $142.06 Shipped) that have tread separation that are covered by Sumitomo Warranty http://www.sumitomotire.
com/assets/products/performance/AS%20PO1_%20Limited%20Waranty.pdf
For tires purchased before Aug 1 2014 Which states under exceptions, "Any HTR ZIII, HTR A/S P01, HTR T4 or LS T/H/V that becomes unserviceable due to a defect in workmanship and materials during the life of the original useable tread will be replaced free of charge." I also have 1 Sumitomo HTR Enhance L/X (V858147 195/60R-15 Sumitomo HTR Enhance L/X (H-, V-, or W-Speed Rate (Qty:2) 08/01/2015 $149.08 Shipped) that has tread separation that are covered by Sumitomo Warranty http://www.sumitomotire.c
om/assets/products/light%20truck/3609_TBCB_WARRANTY_Sumitomo%20Passenger-LT%20Limited%20Wa
rranty%20%E2%80%93%200616LoRes.pdf
Which states under exceptions, "Any HTR A/S P02, HTR ENHANCE LX/CX, HTR ZIII, HTR T4, TOURING LS T/H/V, TOURING LX or ENCOUNTER HT that becomes unserviceable due to a defect in workmanship and materials during the life of the original useable tread will be replaced free of charge." How can I return these tires to you for replacement?
Last message to TireRack awaiting reply.

I have 1 HTR enhance L/X and 2 HTR A/S P01 tires that have tread separation that I am trying to get replaced under warranty. I called Tire Kingdom at the Searstown Mall Titusville, FL(321) 268-5772 and talked to the manager Eddie.He said that he would inspect the tires but TireRack would have to process the warranty.
What is the next step?

Attachments

• sumitomo.png
    sumitomo.png
    172.7 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
They're defective.

Sorry to hear you bought them from Tire Rack. I don't think you really save any money that way. My mailbox is bombarded with "buy 3 tires, get 4th free" and other similar tire promotions. Every tire store has sales, discounts, promotions, etc constantly. Plus you can ask for a discount, free mount and balance, etc. If they say no, walk. It's a very competitive business.

And next time, buy Yokohama. I bought my first set 15 years ago and I won't buy any other brand now. They're not really more expensive when you consider the value you get. Cheap tires are almost always a complete waste of money.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Or Bridgestone, Continental or Goodyear.. My impression is Sumitomo at best is 2nd tier in the world of tires. I would get a new set of tires locally and send these back asking for a full refund if the warranty terms allow for it, or replacement and then you can resell the new tires.

Good luck..

As an aside I never was able to get a good balance with any Tire Rack's recommended local partners, and had to go to the dealer for a balance. Now I just let the dealer deal with all of it. (And yeah it costs me significantly more, compensated in full by the lack of hassles.)

Bite the bullet. Get four new tires. Send the old ones back. File a claim for the full amount at the local small claims court. Include pictures. Send a copy of the claim to the exact selling dealer. Also copy your credit card company if you used one for the purchase. (They may even handle the entire claim.)

Other option is to keep using bad tires until you get a blowout. Then from your hospital room you can get one of those lawyers that advertise on local TV to get as much money as they can. You will get about 65% of what they collect, assuming you survive.

Third option is to conduct a U tube campaign show how and why not to buy tires. Only briefly mention the make and dealer. Then get a friend to tip them and the local TV consumer advocate to the story.

A newly minted MBA will usually present three options to their superior and hope they pick the reasonable and rational one. Your choice.

How do I get the local Sumitomo dealership to honor the warranty that my
attachment says to take to any authorized dealer? What is the next step?

Life is short, so just get better tires and be glad you weren't in a serious accident.
Consider the tire cost as cheap tuition in the school of life. Remember they said
replacement credit only, no refund. Do you really want more of these tires?

Last edited:
Either the tires are overheating, which would be due to exceeding the speed rating of the tires, or under-inflation in combination with legal speeds, or they are defective.

In any case, when you buy products online you will be paying for any warranty shipping charges. Part of the reason for the price differences in the two retail models is the online reseller is transferring the burden of shipping ... and "shipping" does not mean just the leg to your door ... to the buyer, whereas your local tire dealer pays for shipping (including warranty returns and replacements) and builds that into his price.

You chose Tire Rack, you pay shipping. It's that simple.

It is like a lot of things in purchasing ... you need to be consistent to amortize costs and benefits over a long term. Either you always buy the extended warranty, or you never buy the extended warranty; either you always buy online or you never buy online; either you always buy new, or you always buy used. Any other strategy ... sometimes buying at the dealer, sometimes buying at some mail order store in New York ... will fail. Consistency is the key.

So, in your case, you amortize all your shipping costs on everything you buy online, and that's how you save money. If you look at this transaction as being on an island, you will mis-interpret the value of your strategy and might stop buying tires online. Which results in one expensive online purchase followed by a number of expensive dealer purchases. Tell me how you win that way?

Last edited:

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
This won't help, but--

Read the DOT date-code on the sidewall. TireRack has sold me tires which were quite old when I got them. I assume they buy train-loads and it takes a while to sell them out. I was not happy, but there's not an actual expiration date for tires, and the return shipping is brutal.

Yes, my career has been in the auto-industry since 84, all of the above rings quite true.
I'm leaning towards old-age before you even bought them, poor quality, obscure pressure.
The rated pressure noted on the tires is for meeting the max load, this is measured stone cold (rarely happens), warm to the touch?, you'll get an inaccurate reading. Some dude at a shop with his gauge?, when was the last time it was calibrated?, I bought new gauges each year...to get the most accurate, the rule of thumb was, you physically drop the gauge on the shop floor?, throw it away, it's now out of calibration. The car makers put those stickers on the B-pillars, down low..with the car makers wanting lower pressures for a quiet smooth ride, too bad the sidewalls flex & drive the heat up, breaking down the rubber compounds over time. Throw in some owner negligence "looks OK?"...& the flexing will kill the compound, add a cheap design, lousy compounds & a nice pothole or two & you've got a tire way out of round (runout)...progressing to a complete failure.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------Rick......

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.