Complete newbie question regarding tube sound

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps a small illustration of a small 'blind' test to prove something often overlooked?

Four friends and myself did such a test - particularls later. During a great many 'events', one person was correct as many as 6 out of 6 times consecutively, on two occasions. 5 out of 5 consecutively occurred a number of times. In the end some 150 tests were done. (How long did all this take?!)

Well, it was not an audio test, it was the tossing of a simple coin. As expected, the end result was within >74 - <76.

Point: If those intervals of 5 or 6 correct out of 5-6 were to have occurred right at the beginning and the experiment terminated after such, what could be more positive proof of dead certainty? Yet the truth was that the correct result was 50-50.

The moral is obvious. A single test or even several cannot render a result of any statistical value, only chance. Even after 150 events our results were not exactly 75-75. Statistics as I recall, and depending rather much on the nature of a test, is frowned on if not at least 10 tests are done, preferably quite more.

South Africa may be not the best place for such tests.

One friend once took us to horse racing. There was a flea market nearby, so we went there, and I paid 159 Rands for a couple of speakers for a used car that I bought recently for 10.5 thousand Rands.
There I could guess 4 horses who come first, and write down the order in the form. Another option was, just to guess 3 first horses, no order. When going there, I was thinking of numbers. I am not a gambler, so I did not care, but selected 4 numbers, I do not know why.
I put 3 numbers and won exactly 159 Rands. But if I put all 4 in the order that I "got them in my head", I would get 10.5 thousand Rands.
So, your tests don't count; wrong place! :D

So does everyone.
I have an anecdote.

I am not sure of the etiquette on this forum yet. Posting the story I did on a certain other forum without empirical proof, logs, written testimony, etc. and without calling it an anecdote would result in being ripped a new one.

What is conditioning cable?

By conditioning cable I mean one that tries - by voodoo or any scientific method - to reduce mains supply noise.

Last edited:
Going back to my original question, I found something on Wikipedia (don't laugh!) that is relevant.
On the Beam Tetrode page, it says:
"Even-harmonic distortion is automatically cancelled in a push-pull design"

Is this true?
If it is, it means that even-order harmonics can not be responsible for the "thicker air" effect in a PP design.

My crystal ball is away for repair at the moment so I can't look inside your head and determine what you don't know about PSU design.

Perhaps I could help you manage without it?

No. Textbooks should always be read critically, aiming for understanding rather than mere reproduction. However, most textbooks are correct in most of what they say. Textbooks cannot, of course, correct all possible misunderstandings;

Experiments give raw data. To convert that data into useful information you need to apply correct theory. Get that wrong and you will deduce a false idea from the raw data. People 'measure' all sorts of things and 'prove' all sorts of ideas.

I agree with you, although sometimes I use raw data together with the textbook theory to make sure that it is correct.

Would you like to share some of your theoretical analysis in the audio domain?

I'm mostly fond of empirical analysis, sometimes both. The theory always comes to me in handy in tube amplifiers when designing amplifying stages, gain and types of noise, approximating the THD of the amplifying stages, output and power transformer design, magnetic core properties, passive power supply specifics such as ripple, Fres and quality factor, grounding schematic. End results matter to me.

Why 24 hours? Why not 24 minutes or 24 seconds?

What kind of listening test setup did you use?

By my humble experience, 24 hours is a good minimum for a component to start showing its true sound quality.

This experience is based on different kinds of hi-fi audio systems, including the one I have at home. The later has a SE amplifier driving TL speakers and a computer based NOS DAC, the one at work is made from an SS hybrid amplifier driving MTM TL speakers, Arcam Delta TDA1541 CD player.

Last edited:
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2011
On the Beam Tetrode page, it says:
"Even-harmonic distortion is automatically cancelled in a push-pull design"

Is this true?
Yes.

If it is, it means that even-order harmonics can not be responsible for the "thicker air" effect in a PP design.
No one knows what you mean by "thicker air".

Perhaps you should read some books and articles and come back with some legitimate questions...

:cop: The thread is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.