Battery for state power grid. Really?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Long story short, South Australia's power grid is at its limit and they are not ready to upgrade. Elon Musk comes along and says he'll build the worlds biggest battery and that will solve all of their problems. It looks as if they're falling for it. What's the world coming to?

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Load balancing, sure, but they're already limiting on peaks so I have doubts about the base supply capacity.

There was talk about nuclear power. We've until recently been against this on principle but maybe it's time to reconsider? Anyway, I find the process of lithium mining to be ugly at best.. Still, I might agree with you on solar for this region.

There was talk about nuclear power. We've until recently been against this on principle but maybe it's time to reconsider? Anyway, I find the process of lithium mining to be ugly at best..

Lithium mining vs nuclear waste for many of the next generations to come??? Are you kidding me?? Hopefully you´re not serious. Instead people seriously need to think about not wasting the power they´ve already got, and treat it with respect. (Alternative way of thinking??)

Load balancing, sure, but they're already limiting on peaks so I have doubts about the base supply capacity.

If the average load is equal to or less than the peak power production capacity, minus losses, then the system will work fine.

Musk is working on solutions for present and future needs. Whether he succeeds or not is still to be determined. He has a lot on the line. I don't understand all the naysayers.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
My understanding that the source of at least some of the battery packs intended for use in this application are battery packs no longer suitable for transportation use due to drop in capacity, but also a long way from EOL in terms of usable capacity where the size and weight of the batteries is much less critical. i.e. A second life for retired lithium packs from Tesla cars, I believe in certain applications all new batteries would also be used.. All would eventually be recycled.

I haven't been keeping the closest of tabs on the super-battery factories, but there are other chemistries than Li-ion that may make a lot more sense for industrial scale.

If there's any prayer of intermittant power sources becoming more ubiquitous and a much larger %age of the overall capability, we're going to need storage to bridge the excess to demand time-wise.

I haven't been keeping the closest of tabs on the super-battery factories, but there are other chemistries than Li-ion that may make a lot more sense for industrial scale.

I'm curious to know what else is out there for battery technology.

I think that battery technology, along with solar energy technology, offers a lot if they can be developed further. Fortunately, in the case of batteries, the market supports the necessary research.

I saw a computer power management system that provided "seamless" transition from service power loss to generator power. It used a big room full of lead acid batteries to accomplish this. Cars require big power storage in the lightest package possible.

I hope Mr. Musk is successful in his quest to improve battery technology. We would all win.

I'm curious to know what else is out there for battery technology.

Some of the zinc - air battery tech looks like it has some promise. It's not remotely dense in terms of KJ/m^3, which is less important for installation-type applications (vs consumer electronics/automobiles), but *seems* (we'll see!) a chemistry better suited to low-cost/KJ over its lifetime. Think some folks are looking at building shipping-crate style modules that can be sent to/from a central factory for maintenance/rebuild rather than anything happening on-site.

I don't know where I read it, but I saw a comment that a lot of the excessive power usage in Austrailia for A/C could be solved by proper building codes - requiring adequate insulation, instead of just installing a bigger A/C unit.

Nevertheless - load balancing through batteries, energy efficienciy measures and also solar power can help a lot.

Johan-Kr

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.