A tribute to electronics manufacturers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is a long overdue tribute to manufacturers of home entertainment equipment, for sound, video, computing etc.
Everyone who have had a look under the hood of their equipment, may have noticed those nice and colorful Chinese capacitors with exotic names. They are placed there to give us all the best experience and longevity from the products.
Those superior components even come with extra functionality like fully automated circuitboard cleaning with boraxwater and a lot of smell and smoke for additional entertainment.
It is interesting to see how the manufactorers go out of their way to avoid using
European, American and Japanese inferior components, just to give you and me
the best possible experience with their products.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I bought a bunch of "brick" power supplies which were covered UL, CE , etc. symbols. I could just imagine the people in China saying "Those superstitious westerners jus' love these magical runes printed on their products. We'll make them happy by putting on lots of them"

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I remember that Sherwood receiver I had in the 1970s, exploded its output transistors and burned a hole in the driver board of one channel around one of the resistors in the driver stage. All good old American and German parts in it.. I was listening through headphones at the time with speakers turned off.. I fixed it, but never figured out the root cause.

My favorite though (also in the 1970s) was the cross-conducting SGS 2N3055 I kept blowing up in a diy amp, replaced them with someone else's, problem solved.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.