Flat Earthers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Thanks Bill. I've seen some of that footage before, alas it doesn't show a lot, and we don't know about the lens. In some videos like this (maybe in this one) you'll see the horizon curve the other way! Now what does that prove?

That is not what I said. Please reread my post. You're a scientist, Scott, don't jump to conclusions.

Fair enough, just a little sarcasm anyway. What I envisioned was a father taking his son out and showing him with a telescope (does this happen anymore?), simple logic and reason would say you would see the same thing the other way around. In circuit design you use things everyday that you can not directly observe.

As it has been stated before never in history has a flat earth been a prevalent belief. Simple naked eye observations of the sun or moon would create plenty of sceptics. We talked a long time ago about the ancient shadow measurements, how were they refuted again? I thought all that was necessary was that the sun be very far away. In any case you simply would get a wrong answer not refute the original hypothesis that the earth is a sphere of some diameter.

BTW you can make a pinhole projection of the sun and observe sun spots going around and around.

I don't get the hangup on direct observation for belief.

Last edited:
As an aluminium framed plane it came to the end of its serviceable life.

Several of the remaining Concordes were retired with far less than their 45,000 air miles of service life on them. It was the disaster, the 911 terrorist incident, and the price of jet fuel that lowered air traffic considerably in that era. Ultimately it came down to economics. Air France was losing money on the Concorde flights, and British Airways was breaking even after raising the ticket prices, but they figured out that it was ultimately more profitable to fly conventional jets.

When the Concorde was gaining popularity there were regular flights into Miami (Florida) International Airport. There was a move by an airline (I don't remember which one) to establish Concorde service into Ft. Lauderdale. During the Air and Sea Show on Ft. Lauderdale beach that year. They flew the Concorde out of Miami, made a low altitude pass over the beach, flew out west over our house before turning to land at Ft. Lauderdale airport. With the nose down for landing and the aircraft pitched up, we thought the house was coming down as the Concorde passed overhead at a couple thousand feet of altitude.

For instance the the pictures showing the curve using wide angle lenses, the lens is what causes the curve

I'm not here to dispute the flat earth theory.....remember, I've been to the other side of the potato chip!

I noticed the curvature seen in my pictures with my own eyes, hence grabbing the camera to take the pictures. The camera in question is a cheapie Panasonic pocket camera model # DMC-ZS15 that I bought for the Seattle trip about 5 years ago. Note the serial numbers of these pictures, they start with 0030. I still have the camera sitting here on my desk. It has over 8000 pictures on it now. It does not have a wide angle lens it's 50mm (35 mm equiv) at it's widest settings, and after 8000 pictures I can state that there isn't any obvious barrel distortion. Straight things are straight even near the edge of the image.

Whether you can actually see the curvature from 40,000 feet is debated by many, and I don't really care. If the pictures I took don't show the curvature, I would blame diffraction before blaming the camera.

Pictures taken from the space needle (about 600 ft elevation) make the earth look rather flat since the field of view isn't nearly as wide. Ditto sunrise over San Carlos Bay, camera elevation, 7 feet above sea level.

GPS is all triangulated by the cell phone towers, no satellites involved......GPS was first launched when there were no cell towers in place (1979)

I worked at Motorola during the development of the cell phone, and helped develop the cell tower triangulation system. It is currently used to improve "time to first fix" on Assisted GPS (AGPS) enabled phones to supply ephemeris data. The analog, and many early digital cell systems could not be used for triangulation since no time signal is used. CDMA and other 3G and 4G systems were needed for triangulation. These cellular systems get their time and frequency sync FROM GPS!

Attachments

• P1000255_x.jpg
    P1000255_x.jpg
    601.7 KB · Views: 207
  • P1070051_x.jpg
    P1070051_x.jpg
    759.6 KB · Views: 200
if it's a flat spinning disk and the sun is much closer(as per flat earth belief) it's perfectly parallel rays only light up a small portion and then it all disappears on the horizon like ship's do.... take that globe head!
disclaimer: applications of flawed logic can be fun especially when enough scotch is involved!

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The camera in question is a cheapie Panasonic pocket camera model # DMC-ZS15 that I bought for the Seattle trip about 5 years ago.
Yes, I read the EXIF data as soon as you posted them. Shot at wide the setting - 4mm lens. Very likely to have distortion. I do thank you for posting them, good photos. They have the same problem, but to a lesser degree, as so many high altitude photos.

I've done a lot of this observing flying over the Pacific and Atlantic oceans. Yes, sometimes the horizon does appear to have a little bend, but it's very slight, as it would be at that altitude. However, I've often brought along a straight edge to hold up the the window along the line of the horizon. Compare the horizon to a straight edge and you'll be much less convinced that's is curved. It's just too hard to tell.

What do you not get about it? Can you elaborate?

You can't observe holes and electrons do you think the entire semiconductor industry made it up or should conduct research to make the operation of transistors observable to everyone?

If I wanted to pay Mr. Musk a few millions to go up in SpaceX I have no reason to doubt what I would see. I don't get anyone seriously doubting they would either. Far too many refutations of very intelligent experiments descend into absurdity or worse the stupid totally encompassing conspiracy theorys.

If the earth is really flat then there would need to be many thousands of people in various industries in various countries who are all in on the conspiracy and sworn to secrecy. This would include people in aviation (both civil and military), GPS, astronomy, weather.

In addition, those who believe the earth to be flat would all need to avoid entering any of these industries (and doing most science degrees - in particular they must avoid learning about gravity).

There may be occasions when the majority are wrong and a tiny minority are right. I do not believe this to be one of those occasions.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
If the earth is really flat then there would need to be many thousands of people in various industries in various countries who are all in on the conspiracy and sworn to secrecy. This would include people in aviation (both civil and military), GPS, astronomy, weather.
Yes, tho not all those people would have to be in on the secret. The vastness of the cover-up is what I can't get past. Planists don't seem to be bothered by it. Perhaps that goes part and parcel with believing in conspiracies.

Status
Not open for further replies.