Flat Earthers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The gofund link in the OP'S first post.
Oh that. Good look buying a seat on the Concord. :D Better to raise funds for a balloon and camera with a non-distorting lens.

FWIW, I financed all my research out of my own pocket. I spent the time (a lot) and the money (a little) to understand and perform the experiments. It's not as easy as you might think to make direct observations of the Earth's curvature at the Earth's surface. Sure, it seems simple, until you actually try to do it.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
There's supposedly untold riches of mineral wealth in the South Pole area and the military won't let you go there, and they protect the 'edge of the earth" etc etc..
That's a new one on me. Have never heard that. But there is a wealth of crazy ideas out there. Classic Flat Earth believers claim a ring of ice at the edge, so there would be no South Pole.

It is really not a bogus project. My friend is dead serious with this issue.

As noted by Pano, very few people have actually seen the curvature of the earth themselves. He also knows all the arguments by the flat earthers. For instance the the pictures showing the curve using wide angle lenses, the lens is what causes the curve. The "ship down" over the horizon is a perspective issue that is "explained" by we can only see so far or something. I am telling you he has an answer for everything.

The curvature can be plainly observed on a high altitude (long distance) flight on any modern jetliner.

This is good news if we can just send him on a normal long distance flight to the 'other side'.

I personally have circumnavigated the globe on one very long flight involving a few 747's and visited the other side. Flying over that ice ledge and hanging that abrupt U-turn without flying off into deep space was rough, but the Singapore Airlines pilot had it together. Most of the passengers slept right through it. The earth isn't completely flat, but bent like a potato chip. That explains the curvature seen in these pictures taken on an Alaska Airlines flight somewhere over northern Montana according to the GPS in my Android tablet......

Oh , wait a minute......GPS requires a bunch of low earth orbit satellites.....How do satellites orbit over the potato chip.......I guess they are all drones being flown by NASA.

I couldn't find his quote for this because the thread is so vast but I remember him saying the GPS is all triangulated by the cell phone towers, no satellites involved.

Our network TV signals get to the individual TV stations the same way that Dish, DirecTV and others get to us, by satellites orbiting in a geosynchronous orbit over a round object...... No that can't be true since it wad dreamed up by the same guy who gave us 2001, A Space Odyssey.....it's ALL science fiction.

Here are a few pictures I took on a flight from Florida to Seattle. Note, I did not have a camera on the trip to Singapore so I don't have any pictures from the other side:)

The 4th picture is focused to reveal that the fuzziness growing on the right side of the airplane window are ice crystals......we got too close to the ice wall!

Too close to the ice wall LOL.

I am afraid that if we send him up in a flight around the globe he will still come up with some BS to explain it. Very frustrating but I admire his veracity on the subject.

Last edited:
Yes the 7.6Hz will not prove anything to him. He will just say something like NASA is transmitting that frequency to fool you or something.

The go fund me was a way for instead of him sitting around and researching this from his computer he should get out and see it for himself. As Pano says it is pretty hard to think of an easy way to directly observe the curve. I also figure the best proof would be to get him a tour over the Antarctic. My friend has the same theory as was mentioned in that the conspiracy is that beyond the ice wall is vast resources that the government is keeping to enslave the population. I think the nights watch is just keeping the white walkers beyond the wall where they belong. Winter is coming and you know nothing Jon Snow ;)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I would very much like to see an amateur high altitude balloon flight with a good camera and lens without distortion. So far, I've yet to see one.

I've also done some experiments with lasers. Those show promise, but someone would be sure to explain them away, too. :)

I have seen the laser debate and there is too much math involved for him to believe lol. Refraction and stuff gets confusing which he will dismiss.

i don't know what is involved with a high altitude weather balloon but I will look into it. I will not fund this out of my own pocket for I don't have enough money to live as it is. But if a bunch of people are interested in this, even for just entertainment we can do some experiments and make a documentary if everyone contributes a little. I am not really asking you people so if the mods don't like the link they can remove it, I have plenty of friends on FB that should be able to donate $10 each. 100 people is $1k which should get us to be able to do something. I just know there are some smart cookies on here and I wanted some feedback from them. Thanks.

I am not looking for your sympathy for I am not the one that believes this so save the condolences for my buddy Chris. I am just interested in the subject and am looking for easy proof for him so I can settle this once and for all. As Pano notes. once you start looking for ways for the laymen to see the curvature it gets difficult. The only thing I could think of was get him up in a plane and shoot him around the world.

They have, Hiten, they have. Many times and in many places. Please do at least a little research before posting. Look up Alfred Russel Wallace, for example. That's the most famous case.

Thank you Pano. Even if you, yourself are not a flat earther I am glad you can understand that there is a real argument going on about this and you are not dismissing any one side.

I myself find this fascinating whether it be from a scientific viewpoint or a psychological viewpoint.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I have seen the laser debate and there is too much math involved for him to believe lol. Refraction and stuff gets confusing which he will dismiss.
Not sure what laser debates you've read, but it really isn't complicated. It's clear and intuitive. And most experienced Planists know all about refraction and take that into account in their experiments.

IMO a project like yours is not worthwhile. It affects only one person. Even if he claims to have seen evidence, he's just one guy. Much better to fund a project that involves more people, along with good photographic and video evidence that is accessible to millions of people. I've done some of that work, but it is not as easy as you might think. That difficulty is a large part of what fuels these debates.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
I

I couldn't find his quote for this because the thread is so vast but I remember him saying the GPS is all triangulated by the cell phone towers, no satellites involved.

Yeah right, so the fact that GPS was first launched when there were no cell towers in place (1979) and was used in the 1990 gulf war when there was definately no cell system anywhere to be seen doesn't matter at all.

I guess next is that anyone who is old enough to have heard sputnik 1 was hearing a global conspiracy of people driving around in vans with transmitters?

Not sure what laser debates you've read, but it really isn't complicated. It's clear and intuitive. And most experienced Planists know all about refraction and take that into account in their experiments.

IMO a project like yours is not worthwhile. It affects only one person. Even if he claims to have seen evidence, he's just one guy. Much better to fund a project that involves more people, along with good photographic and video evidence that is accessible to millions of people. I've done some of that work, but it is not as easy as you might think. That difficulty is a large part of what fuels these debates.

I will look into the lasers some more but I remember in the FB thread he refuted the evidence for some reason.

As for him only being one person, well he is the only friend I know that believes this stuff so if he changes his mind we won't have to hear it anymore. Also, he does know quite a few other flat earthers and maybe they will listen to him. I also plan to fully document whatever we do and make a short film about it. This very well could be a waste of time as you have traveled down this road yourself and seemed to not have been able to walk away with anything concrete. We will see what happens, I am interested in the lasers experiment.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I myself find this fascinating whether it be from a scientific viewpoint or a psychological viewpoint.
That's what got me interested in it all, so many years ago. We all "know" the earth is round, yet the Planists have again shown their own, well constructed proof that it's flat. How could that be possible? I wanted to know, I wanted to duplicate the experiments.

Over the years this lead me to some fascinating, and unexpected, psychological observations. The vast majority of people believe the Earth to be a globe, with no direct experience of it. If challenged as to how they "know" the Earth to be round, they get quite upset. People will believe what they've been taught, and what other people believe, with strong emotional tenacity. Most have no proof and no evidence, yet they accuse anyone who questions their beliefs of being crazy.

Even among fairly scientific people, such as those here on the forum, the responses are much the same, I've heard them over and over thru the years. People aren't thinking, they are just spouting what they believe and have been told. And taking offense at being challenged. I do have to give Scott Wurcer due credit, he came up with two claims I'd never heard before. :up: Usually it's the moon that cited.

FWIW, sir Bedivere knew the Earth to be banana shaped. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.