Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Flat Earthers
Flat Earthers
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th April 2017, 01:30 PM   #21
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Flat Earthers
The Flat Earth has been a subject of study for me for almost 20 years. I've done research at the library of congress and the British library. I have been to the site of some of the most famous experiments in England and reproduced some of them there. I was actually kicked out of the Flat Earth Society (but not for reasons you might think). There was also a Hollow Earth belief. I've been to those sites and seen the experimental apparatus, too.

It's surprising to me to see all the new interest in the Flat Earth. Until recently it was hardly ever talked about, at least not in technical terms. But now it's all over the Interwebs, especially YouTube.

One of the most fascinating parts of this over the years is how strongly held are Globular beliefs, with no direct evidence. By that I mean that the vast majority of people believe that the Earth is a globe, with no direct experience of it being so. Very few people, maybe 150 or so, have ever actually seen the curvature of the Earth. To the rest of us, it appears flat as a pancake. No, you can't see the curvature from a commercial airliner at 37,000 feet or the top of a high mountain (I've checked many times.) Yet we believe not our own eyes, our own experience, but what we've been taught - and without question. Fascinating.
Old 25th April 2017, 01:34 PM   #22
billshurv is online now billshurv  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Flat Earthers
Pano: How do you deal with the fact that sailors experience things appearing/disappearing over the horizon. Surely millions of people have experienced this?
Old 25th April 2017, 01:36 PM   #23
scott wurcer is online now scott wurcer  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
Yet we believe not our own eyes, our own experience, but what we've been taught - and without question. Fascinating.
Anyone can observe Jupiter rotate and see the parallax of surface features. I believe this is a poor example to make a point of believing something without question.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izRld2t-Xw8

Last edited by scott wurcer; 25th April 2017 at 01:40 PM.
Old 25th April 2017, 01:42 PM   #24
Tubelab_com is offline Tubelab_com  United States
diyAudio Member

No need for a Concorde, which hasn't flown in years because of the flaming disaster on one flight, and the cost of fuel for a flight.

The curvature can be plainly observed on a high altitude (long distance) flight on any modern jetliner.

I personally have circumnavigated the globe on one very long flight involving a few 747's and visited the other side. Flying over that ice ledge and hanging that abrupt U-turn without flying off into deep space was rough, but the Singapore Airlines pilot had it together. Most of the passengers slept right through it. The earth isn't completely flat, but bent like a potato chip. That explains the curvature seen in these pictures taken on an Alaska Airlines flight somewhere over northern Montana according to the GPS in my Android tablet......

Oh , wait a minute......GPS requires a bunch of low earth orbit satellites.....How do satellites orbit over the potato chip.......I guess they are all drones being flown by NASA.

Our network TV signals get to the individual TV stations the same way that Dish, DirecTV and others get to us, by satellites orbiting in a geosynchronous orbit over a round object...... No that can't be true since it wad dreamed up by the same guy who gave us 2001, A Space Odyssey.....it's ALL science fiction.

Here are a few pictures I took on a flight from Florida to Seattle. Note, I did not have a camera on the trip to Singapore so I don't have any pictures from the other side

The 4th picture is focused to reveal that the fuzziness growing on the right side of the airplane window are ice crystals......we got too close to the ice wall!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000030_x.jpg (635.8 KB, 364 views)
File Type: jpg P1000032_x.jpg (528.8 KB, 352 views)
File Type: jpg P1000036_x.jpg (790.9 KB, 358 views)
File Type: jpg P1000040_x.jpg (508.9 KB, 274 views)
Old 25th April 2017, 01:46 PM   #25
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

There was a global march for science the other day.......now I know what that was for...
Old 25th April 2017, 01:52 PM   #26
Charles Darwin is offline Charles Darwin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubelab_com View Post
No need for a Concorde, which hasn't flown in years because of the flaming disaster on one flight, and the cost of fuel for a flight.
To be fair to Concorde it was not the disaster that stopped it flying.
As an aluminium framed plane it came to the end of its serviceable life.
The only way to keep it flying safely would be to build new ones.
Old 25th April 2017, 02:01 PM   #27
Bas Horneman is online now Bas Horneman  Netherlands
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
No, you can't see the curvature from a commercial airliner at 37,000 feet or the top of a high mountain (I've checked many times.)
Stop trolling please.
Old 25th April 2017, 02:04 PM   #28
diyAudio Moderator

Flat Earthers
Quote:
Originally Posted by billshurv View Post
Pano: How do you deal with the fact that sailors experience things appearing/disappearing over the horizon. Surely millions of people have experienced this?
"Ship Down" is a well known phenomenon and usually the first cited as proof of a globular earth. The Planists have always had an explanation for that, it will be found just about anywhere. It is explained as perspective, that the ship blends into the horizon as it get farther and farther away. The Planists claim that looking at the ship will a telescope will bring it "back up" above the horizon. I have been able to verify this to some extent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
Anyone can observe Jupiter rotate and see the parallax of surface features. I believe this is a poor example to make a point of believing something without question.
Sure, anyone can. But how many have? And if they did, would they know what they are looking at? Of the hundreds of people I've discussed this with, you are the first to mention observing Jupiter as a proof of the Earth's globularity. How does that make my example poor?
Old 25th April 2017, 02:14 PM   #29
diyAudio Moderator

Flat Earthers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bas Horneman View Post
Stop trolling please.
That is not trolling. I've done the observations, you can not see it. Yes, you can take photos with a wide angle lens that curves all straight lines and point to those. Many amateur high altitude balloon flights do just that. They show the curvature of the earth from aloft. Oddly they also show the curvature of the parking lot where they were launched. It's a shame they don't use non-distorting lens, because then they could actually point to some nice evidence.

You can also do online research that tells you that the curvature of the Earth becomes visible starting at about 70K feet above the surface. I have not visited that altitude to confirm it. Very few people have.

FWIW, I took a photo taken on the Bedford canal in England that is the only photo I know of to show the curvature of the Earth from ground level. Maybe.
Old 25th April 2017, 02:15 PM   #30
Bas Horneman is online now Bas Horneman  Netherlands
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

How is it that this thread is allowed here? Raising money for a bogus project?

Flat EarthersHide this!Advertise here!