REV33: Here's some snake oil for you to sink your teeth into

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If it's been allowed, that means the application has been published and the file wrapper is available.

Using AppFT at uspto.gov, I find nothing relevant to the REV33 with Dennis as an inventor, nor anything with REVx Technologies as the assignee. I found four applications with Dennis as an inventor while at Texas Instruments, but again, nothing related to the REV33.

Why does this make me think of the Synergistic Research HOT deal you sent me for analysis?

:D

se

This is what I replied on Facebook.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    568 KB · Views: 221
Im one of the biggest sceptics on this site, but I'm waiting for more info. Most of this thread is about patents. Seems a waste of time. If they were real snake oil sellers why limit them selfs to such a small market, gigging musicians. And such a specific problem. Do any of you gig with In ear monitors? Then you'll never be able to test this thing yourself. I would imagine the main problem is level. Ever stand 4' in front of a drum kit? Anyway to reduce the spl at the ear will make a difference. Maybe a simple filter will do it I don't know. And if they really used the audiology department at the Uof Texas they have gone at least one step further than most snake oil makers. And it's harder to fool pros that use there ears to make a living than most "audiophiles" especially with a tool they use all the time. My ears are still open on this one.

Im one of the biggest sceptics on this site, but I'm waiting for more info.

Which doesn't seem to be forthcoming from anyone at REVx.

Most of this thread is about patents. Seems a waste of time.

No less a waste of time than trying to get any information off their website.

If they were real snake oil sellers why limit them selfs to such a small market, gigging musicians.

They're targeting everyone who uses earbuds, IEMs and headphones:

Utilizing over 50 years of combined experience in the tech industry, co-founders, Dr. Dennis Rauschmayer and Brett Butler, began work on a solution for the universal problem plaguing musicians and casual listeners alike – unwanted noise and distortion caused by in-ear monitors and headphones.

That's a pretty damn big market. And getting endorsed by "the pros" is great marketing fodder for "casual listeners." And in the past years everybody and their brother has been jumping into this market because unlike the traditional high end audio market, it is youthful and growing.

And such a specific problem. Do any of you gig with In ear monitors? Then you'll never be able to test this thing yourself.

Nonsense. We can test their claims as to what the device supposedly does.

I would imagine the main problem is level. Ever stand 4' in front of a drum kit? Anyway to reduce the spl at the ear will make a difference. Maybe a simple filter will do it I don't know.

That may be what the actual problem is, but it's not the problem that they identify and supposedly cure.

The main "problems," as Dennis related to me on the phone and which they identify on their website is one, that the earbud/IEM/headphone's impedance changes with driver displacement, i.e. the impedance at the driver's equilibrium point changes as it approaches its peak displacement. Therefore the amplifier will deliver a different amount of current depending on the driver's position.

The second "problem" is that the earbud/IEM/headphone drivers also act as microphones and produce currents which add constructively and destructively with the current being sent by the amplifier.

And finally, ultrasonic noise getting into the drivers and producing intermodulation products in the audio band.

So no, their solution for ear fatigue has nothing to do with levels.

And if they really used the audiology department at the Uof Texas they have gone at least one step further than most snake oil makers.

Perhaps. But appeals to authority do not a rational argument make.

And it's harder to fool pros that use there ears to make a living than most "audiophiles" especially with a tool they use all the time.

Have a cite for that? The pros are humans same as everyone else.

se

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.