Biggest obstacle to portable electronics: battery

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am perhaps the younger generations of diyaudio members but i did experience NiCad.. then NiMH.. then the latest one is Li-Ion. Li-Ion no longer suffers the memory effect of the previous two but still i feel that it's losing the race to improve portable electronics. The reduction of size of portable devices for the last two decades have been amazing but what's the point of having quad-core processor, blazing fast graphic chips, multiple connectivities and high RAM on your phone if it lasts only for two hours?

I would pay more for bulky smart phones that last two days than fancy thin ones that need charging every two hours. I am even considering on carrying motorcycle dry battery in my backpack for those long commutes :D

What will be the next improvement of portable device battery? Are we close to mass production?

I would pay more for bulky smart phones that last two days than fancy thin ones that need charging every two hours. I am even considering on carrying motorcycle dry battery in my backpack for those long commutes :D

What will be the next improvement of portable device battery? Are we close to mass production?

Material science/engineering is the main technology in the world that is advancing and acts as the main driver/catalyst for improvements in (other) commercial sectors. The other factor is of course what the consumers is willing to pay...

The (material) science and (electronics) technology is already there. Sometimes, it has to wait for the market to decide on which direction it should advance.

Today we have advancement in solid state and wireless technology. In the future it might be like cars who have gas stations everywhere. It is just that the charging can be done wirelessly and remotely.

LiPoFe4 seems to be one of he several improvements seen today ! But, layers, markett, lobbies, chips designers, etc ! All is about voltage !

But I don't care, being older, I go back from cells to the old good wires and sofa ! In Indonesia you have one of the best system everywhere for energy transformation : clorophyl.... and far nicer than cells on the sand ! Lucky you !

Last edited:
Good points, all. If we can find a way to reduce power consumption to 50%, it would be like having twice the battery capacity, then improving the battery life becomes lesser priority.. As Jay mentioned, it's a matter of finding the right material combination, be it for longer battery life or better power efficiency. Sigh.. both could not come any sooner.

How about peeing on your cellphone to charge it :D
Urine-powered battery offers cheap energy source

Some of the best french research in our 7 billions world : picture one !

From the same engineering team in 25 years (9 billions people, we heated the empty cells) : picture 2 !

Attachments

• hamster-300x225.jpg
    hamster-300x225.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 139
  • hamster-wheel-standing-desk-14196.jpg
    hamster-wheel-standing-desk-14196.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 133
Good points, all. If we can find a way to reduce power consumption to 50%, it would be like having twice the battery capacity, [/url]

easy, how about staring at a silly screen half as much and interact with 'real life'. sheesh smart phones...:nownow:
or put a blanket over yer head and turn down the LCD backlight.:D
I'm pretty sure battery storage Whr densities have improved massively over NiCd in the same 2 decades of compute power.
AFAIK LG has a newer model selling with a modular battery pack so there's your 'double wish' right there.

Last edited:
NiMH has no memory effect. Another benefit of NiMH over NiCd is that cells don't short out and die. Li-ion is nice and light, but has a capacity degradation over time (a cell with 500 cycles might have 50% the capacity of a new one) that seems more than the others.

I have one of these that I use to charge my phone every day or two and it lasts for weeks. https://www.amazon.com/EasyAcc-1500...ry/dp/B014ZVV56M?ie=UTF8&ref_=dp_ob_image_wld

About the same size as my phone and ~3x as thick

I haven't been there. Is there any swimming pools there? (Anybody as old as Eldam need a regular exercise! :p)

Absolutely : a little swimm between Flores and Komodo is good for health, if you escape the sharcs, the bats, then the varangs, that's you have a good cardio training !

When I look for a job people asks me why I'm not on twiteer, Facebook, LinkedIn, whatshap mother, etc? This is just because I have no time :D... how you can work and spend the day on it !

To go back to the topic, there are some nice cells for DAC & Pre if you want zero noise injection and low ESR at the same time (then after volor the sound with the caps an LDO regs shematic you like) : Iancanada had nice result with 123 cells (beware to counterfacts) : the ESR is so low than if you have a charger for balance the loads you can use it in serie ! He uses like some for the clocks ! But Frankly why not also for the 3.3V of an ESS dac chip (it will be closetr to a 3.2V with such cell but it should doesn't hurt!)

selamat tingall

Pretty much every portable device we make uses a different custom LiPo pack. There's no cost disadvantage, you can buy what you want. It makes for better products.

No you don´t.

You are *forced* to buy the "original" one or a close clone for anything they want to charge you, even if it´s crummy and expensive, because a better cheaper generic unbranded one won´t physically fit, even if electrically the same.

And after a couple of years if neither original nor clone are available you must junk a perfectly working product because of lack of battery or must pay one of the few remaining ones it´s own weight in gold.

Planned obsolescence of the worst kind, applies specially for notebooks but also to tons other devices.

Joined 2016
Paid Member
No you don´t.

You are *forced* to buy the "original" one or a close clone for anything they want to charge you, even if it´s crummy and expensive, because a better cheaper generic unbranded one won´t physically fit, even if electrically the same.

And after a couple of years if neither original nor clone are available you must junk a perfectly working product because of lack of battery or must pay one of the few remaining ones it´s own weight in gold.

Planned obsolescence of the worst kind, applies specially for notebooks but also to tons other devices.

We buy from China, and can get a battery pack any size or shape, cost is not affected by customised size. No probs.
That's a manufacturer's point of view.
Never had a problem getting a decent low cost replacement for a laptop either, they last a good few years. Just put a second new one in a 10 year old HP laptop.
The only problem is with phones that don't have replaceable batteries... But then I'd never buy one.

Last edited:
Japoneese teen dressed in Transformer car suit with a smartphone and a battery truc on her back ! ET voilà, simple !

Btw, lead battery is a little heavy, but how is the ESR of these portable smartphone external cells you get for less 20 euros ?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.