What engineer said vs what they actually mean.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Taken from this Link
http://gineersnow.com/…/what-engineers-say-versus-what-engi…

What Engineers Say: Developed after years of intensive research.
What Engineers Mean: It was discovered by accident.

What Engineer Say: The design will be finalized in the next reporting period.
What Engineers Mean: We haven’t started this job yet, but we’ve got to say something.

What Engineers Say: A number of different approaches are being tried.
What Engineers Mean: We don’t know where we’re going, but we’re moving.

What Engineers Say: Project slightly behind schedule due to unforeseen difficulties.
What Engineers Mean: We are working on something else.

What Engineers Say: Close project coordination.
What Engineers Mean: We should have asked someone else or let’s spread the responsibility for this.

What Engineers Say: Extensive report is being prepared on a fresh approach to the problem.
What Engineers Mean: We just hired three guys, we’ll let them kick it around for a while.

What Engineers Say: Major technical breakthrough.
What Engineers Mean: Back to the drawing board.

What Engineers Say: Customer satisfaction is believed to be assured.
What Engineers Mean: We were so far behind schedule that the customer was happy to get anything at all from us.

What Engineers Say: Preliminary operation tests were inconclusive.
What Engineers Mean: The darn thing blew up when we threw the switch.

What Engineers Say: Tests were extremely gratifying.
What Engineers Mean: It works and boy are we surprised.

What Engineers Say: The entire concept will have to be abandoned.
What Engineers Mean: The only guy who understood the thing quit.

What Engineers Say: Modifications are underway to correct certain minor difficulties.
What Engineers Mean: We threw the whole thing out and are starting from scratch.

I'd love to go more personal about this but then my post will be automatically moved to the snake oil theories post ...

--Scientists dream about doing grate things ,,,,engineers DO them

NVA designer thinks that the screws on the enclosure of the amplifier thinks that do bad in the sound of the amplifier ...he uses a variety of glue for the enclosure to mount everything ...

anyone knows what is duo beta circuit ?
sigma drive may be ?
Does new class A has anything to do with class A bias ?
What can be a LAB input in a UK made amplifier ?
What Yamaha means with the NS logo ? Natural sound ?

World of HIFI is full with phrases like that which is the exact same thing ...one thing told and an other one meant

Kind regards
Sakis

yes most of the earlier sound like words management put in the engineers mouth as excuses for management's not having listened to what the engineers were really saying about the project in the 1st place

I have seldom seen a "honest" planning meeting - the manager usually comes in with budget and schedule, browbeats everyone to signing on despite misgivings or real uncertainties

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
yes most of the earlier sound like words management put in the engineers mouth as excuses for management's not having listened to what the engineers were really saying about the project in the 1st place

I have seldom seen a "honest" planning meeting - the manager usually comes in with budget and schedule, browbeats everyone to signing on despite misgivings or real uncertainties

You're describing my life at the moment.. lol

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Related.
I remember a Japanese product line, possibly Sony, from the 80-ies with a logo and a moto: 'Extremely Standard'. I though that was funny. There might have been issues in translation; then again, maybe they wanted to get a step up from 'Reference Standard'

Jan

You must mean Sony ES, LOL. I have several products from the line, they're not "extremely standard"... very fortunately..

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Ahh yes - I remember being through development meetings every week. 3-4 hours long. Lots of stories.

One of the biggest issues the R&D team had was getting time to run their experiments in the fab. The production guys didn't give a ****. I told them 'but without new products and improvements to spec, we won't have a business in 2 years' - still did not help. I hated them, and they hated me. I am quite sure that we had trial lots in the fab sabotaged at times so they could hit a production target (and get their bonus).

I had a word for them - but I cant repeat it here because I will get banned, but I can tell you it starts with a c and ends with s (plural, you understand) and has three letters in between.

Lots of battles . . .

This is turning into a " Sony appreciation thread " :) so i'll add to it.
I have a Sony CDP XB 720 E QS i plcked up for peanuts on E Bay. Mint condition circa 1998 and supposedly " tuned for the U.K. market " .
With the odd exception most audiophiles dismiss Sony kit as nothing special and admittedly i've never been a great fan but the sound and overall build of this budget player could certainly take on many of the more modern equivalents and show them how its done.
The thing i like most is the variable digital filter which allows enough variance in the overall sound to fine tune it enabling it's use with many amp/speaker combos.
It 'll be a sad day indeed when it eventually dies .

Let me try to steer it back to topic :D

What Engineers Say: Major technological breakthrough!
What Engineers Mean: It works OK; but looks very hi-tech!

What Engineers Say: It is in process.
What Engineers Mean: It is so wrapped in red tape that the situation is completely hopeless.

What Engineers Say: We will look into it.
What Engineers Mean: Forget it! We have enough problems already.

What Engineers Say: Give us the benefit of your thinking.
What Engineers Mean: We’ll listen to what you have to say as long as it doesn’t interfere with what we have already done or with what we are going to do.

What Engineers Say: Give us your interpretation.
What Engineers Mean: We can’t wait to hear your bull.

What Engineers Say: See me or let’s discuss.
What Engineers Mean: Come to my office, I’ve screwed up again.

What Engineers Say: All new.
What Engineers Mean: Parts are not interchangeable with previous design.

What Engineers Say: Rugged.
What Engineers Mean: Don’t plan to lift it without major equipment.

What Engineers Say: Robust!
What Engineers Mean: Rugged, but more so

What Engineers Say: Light weight.
What Engineers Mean: Slightly lighter than rugged.

What Engineers Say: Years of development.
What Engineers Mean: One finally worked.

What Engineers Say: Energy saving.
What Engineers Mean: Achieved when the power switch is off.

What Engineers Say: No maintenance.
What Engineers Mean: Impossible to fix.

What Engineers Say: Low maintenance.
What Engineers Mean: Nearly impossible to fix.

What Engineers Say: Fax me the data.
What Engineers Mean: I’m too lazy to write it down.

What Engineers Say: We are following the standard!
What Engineers Mean: That’s the way we have always done it!

What Engineers Say: I didn’t get your e-mail.
What Engineers Mean: I haven’t checked my e-mail for days.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.