Giving blood

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Pint 44 today. Been a bad 18 months or so with donations as got completely out of sync with the nearest location. Slightly depressed that its been exactly 30 years since I started giving blood and my per annum average is very low. I should be in the 80s now. hey ho.

After 500L of plasma "donations " , the pay at 35-50$ could no longer
support the minimum protein level required by the donation center.
To spend half the the pay on fast food would make my plasma too fatty.
In order to eat right to have high protien and low fat plasma would cost
far more that the donation pay.

So , the remaining clients who supported the donation center were getting
free WELFARE food. Those who worked would have to pay to donate
because the food required costs more than the pay.
What a freakin' racket. government /welfare subsidized plasma for rich
Europeans. European medical centers paid 1-2K$ (per bag) for this plasma.

OS

Joined 2014
Paid Member
@OS: No au fait on plasma donation, but are you saying you need a couple of good meals before each donation or an ongoing healthy diet? I can see the annoyance if you have to spend $75 on special foods to get good plasma, but for some might be seen as encouragement to keep up a healthy diet? Nearest plasma centre to be is >1 hour travel so not something I will be doing, but I seem to make up the raw blood easily enough :)

(aside: being a veggie now and having had to deal with low iron in my 3 year old, I am always very happy to see the blood drop in the green gloop).

@OS: No au fait on plasma donation, but are you saying you need a couple of good meals before each donation or an ongoing healthy diet? I can see the annoyance if you have to spend $75 on special foods to get good plasma, but for some might be seen as encouragement to keep up a healthy diet? Nearest plasma centre to be is >1 hour travel so not something I will be doing, but I seem to make up the raw blood easily enough :)

(aside: being a veggie now and having had to deal with low iron in my 3 year old, I am always very happy to see the blood drop in the green gloop).

What i am saying is that working PLUS donating uses more protein than
the paltry reward for the donation can finance.
The typical client in Johnson city , Tennessee is either disabled in public housing or on welfare subsidy. usually slightly overweight.
I did donate after I failed the protein count blood test , but it took a 20$ high
powdered protein mix to get above level. NOT worth it.

OS

I do not donate blood, as remember during HIV peak the us govt published statistics in number of hiv transmitted during blood donation.
I remember it was small number but not zero.

I took a fire dept course on triage, rescue and search etc.
The instructor said hep was running rampant to be extremely cautious where blood is exposed. Apparently not all is made public on hep and hiv. Airborne?

He said blood on for example a sidewalk, auto or toilet seat can host live hiv virus for up to three hours or more. No source given.

I would however give my o-neg blood in a private physician setting where the recipient and donor are known to the families.( ie no blood bank)

Vlad Dracula invents a monster that turned back the Sultan and saved Europe.
"Men don't fear swords. They fear monsters.
They run from them. By putting one village to the stake, I spared ten more. Sometimes the world no longer needs a hero."
A nice semi-accurate film. 'Dracula Untold"
Dracula Untold (2014) - IMDb

Attachments

• dracula_untold_ver4.jpg
    dracula_untold_ver4.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 94
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.