Stop Your PC updating to W10

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
GWX Control Panel (formerly GWX Stopper)

This is a free tool that can remove and disable the 'Get Windows 10' notification area icon on Windows 7 and Windows 8. Newer versions can also disable 'Upgrade to Windows 10' behavior in the Windows Update control panel. See the user guide at the Ultimate Outsider blog. You can still download GWX Control Panel as a standalone executable if you don't like installers. Please see the "GWX CONTROL PANEL RELEASE NOTES" section at the user guide for MD5 and SHA-1 checksums of all official releases.

Version: 1.6.0.1
Date: November 24, 2015
Platform: PC 32/64
* Download Installer * -or- * Download Stand-alone *

Ultimate Outsider - Software Downloads

GWX Control Panel Troubleshooting Guide
Here you'll find solutions or explanations for some commonly reported problems with GWX Control Panel. If you can't find the answer you're looking for, have a look at the GWX Control Panel user guide or the GWX Control Panel Frequently Asked Questions.

Ultimate Outsider: original software

The GWX Control Panel FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
This post answers a number of questions I've received about GWX Control Panel, the program that helps protect Windows 7 and Windows 8 users from unwanted Windows 10-related notifications and upgrades.

Ultimate Outsider: The GWX Control Panel FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)

Everyone is taking your data.

This is true, and Google seems to be the worst offender. MS, Apple, and Amazon are right up there too. W10 may collect and transmit more data than previous versions of Windows, but I find that far more than I want is collected and processed quickly from this W7 machine.

Test it out. Use Google to search for something unusual. I often search for an old song, unusual or obsolete electronic components and vacuum tubes, or data on an IC that I used 20 or 30 years ago. Within minutes I will get a pop up ad that offers to sell me whatever I searched for...or something that Google thinks is what I was looking for. Sometimes they get really wrong, especially when you search partial lyrics from an old song you heard on the radio......

Note that a search for odd electronics parts on Google or Amazon will bring up ads from other companies in other countries.....how quickly does your quest spread around the world?

Search up an old song on Youtube and look at what they "suggest" based on your "viewing habits." I do watch a lot of 60's and 70's music, contemporary musicians playing that music, and acoustic guitar music. Why then do they continuously try to stuff Justin Bieber down my Ethernet wire???? I searched for Justin Hayward. Are they that stupid, or can you spell Payola?

:yikes:I switched my phone over to the Windows 10 Insider Preview a few days ago. Woke up this morning and it was sitting there on the nightstand running Night Stand Clock as usual... but something felt different. I'm pretty sure it was watching me! My wife claims I talk in my sleep. Now MS will know every word I mumble at night. As WWOTW would say, "Oh what a world, what a world!" :eek:

I'm pretty sure it was watching me!

How many people have a Kinect attached to their Xbox??? It IS watching you, and listening! Remember all those funny pictures of you it played at the end of your last game? Guess who is at the other end of that Xbox Live account.....and we complain about W10?

Unplug the USB cable whenever not playing a Kinect game. Be aware of what you do and what's in view DURING a game.......

I can't believe this is still an issue ??

Below - buy a VPN account ... downloads through a Russian proxy ,
browsing through a Canadian one.

"Ublock" on either Chrome or firefox will give you a 20'th century ad-free
experience with 21'st century content.

It is/was this Win10 thing that got me "gung-ho" with even W7 "chatting".

So , here I sit with a unique W7 .... no modern irritations.
I have a W10 box ... I can not find ANY metric where it even comes
close to what I'm using.

PS - I allow some tracking .... I get targeted ads for Russian Vodka.:D

OS

Attachments

• HELLO.jpg
    HELLO.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 130
Are you sure you've got nothing to hide??? Never purchased something via your computer and paid with CC?? In which case Microsoft has your complete CC data... which you agreed they can use or distribute feely... ;)

no, nothing to hide... if you're living in a cardboard box perhaps.:scratch:

And , if you use M$ "onedrive" , win 10 will upload your bitlocker key to their
servers by default. What is the purpose of encryption if a 3'rd party has
the key ?
If you DID have something to hide , it would not be hidden for long.
OS

GWX Control Panel ?

I installed it. It just forestalls the inevitable on a win 7/8 installation.

Do you think "the man" will let you keep W7/8 after uploading >6gig in
W10 files ?

GWX saw my W7 as a "lost cause" (there is no update service).
Any windows updated after 4/2013 will have this 6gig "cache" (W8 by default).

Microsoft does not want there to be any "refuseniks" with W10. No 70%
of people remaining on the last OS , like in the XP to vista/W7 transition.
All they have to do is "flip a switch" and all those W7/8 machines will
be W10 units in the morning.

OS

I installed it. It just forestalls the inevitable on a win 7/8 installation.

Do you think "the man" will let you keep W7/8 after uploading >6gig in
W10 files ?

GWX saw my W7 as a "lost cause" (there is no update service).
Any windows updated after 4/2013 will have this 6gig "cache" (W8 by default).

Microsoft does not want there to be any "refuseniks" with W10. No 70%
of people remaining on the last OS , like in the XP to vista/W7 transition.
All they have to do is "flip a switch" and all those W7/8 machines will
be W10 units in the morning.

OS
not on my W7 system ;)

I'm total and utter Refusnik...:D

Why then do they continuously try to stuff Justin Bieber down my Ethernet wire????
Because "they" don't want you to listen to music that's meant as an expression of emotions. "They" want you to buy whatever new sh** "they" bring out. Do not question "them". Think different. Get an iPhone. :smash:
Why the hell are you searching for obsolete, old stuff anyway? Just get the newest gadget and you'll never have to repair anything again.
What great times we live in. Our grandchildren shure will be proud of all the deserts, famines and poisons our lifestyle and economy is blessing them with.

Got a tool to remove Mac OS 10.11.2 ????

How any system can be sold which is patently unfit for purpose is beyond my comprehension. I have newly installed top quality pro photography [Phase one, Capture 9 Pro) just installed. It worked fine in OS10.11.1 but since updating works fine for five - ten minutes then freezes an iMac (late 2014) 27" Retina, so that a restart is the only option!

To issue this stuff when not even fit for beta testing is a total con. Photoshop is also buggy and unstable with this system which seems to get worse as the updates are installed.

Time seems to a be a big factor in software development.
Time costs money and companies want software out as soon as possible.

Microsoft send out OS to testers first to let them debug Windows for them.

I write and sell software myself but always test it to death to make sure it is as bug free as possible before it is sent out.

With Windows they are just about getting it right when they bring out a new version that isn't ready ! Its a vicious circle.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.