— subliminal audio processing

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there,

Most of the sound in our audio systems, we will never hear in our lifetime

The most aurally perceptive people on earth are very likely at the edge of schizophrenic

I'm interested in what other users here think about this

______

Pre-attentive auditory processing in ultra-high-risk for schizophrenia

Pre-attentive auditory processing in ul - PubMed Mobile

No harsh comments plz

:snowman2:

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Hi there,

Most of the sound in our audio systems, we will never hear in our lifetime

The most aurally perceptive people on earth are very likely at the edge of schizophrenic

I'm interested in what other users here think about this

______

Pre-attentive auditory processing in ultra-high-risk for schizophrenia

Pre-attentive auditory processing in ul - PubMed Mobile

No harsh comments plz

:snowman2:

Schizophrenia is a serious mental disorder.... which can be controlled thru medication. I do not know if the auditory processing would be affected... before and after medication.

-RM

It is usually associated with the hallucinative perception of sounds which don't exist.

However, in some cases they are quite simply hearing sound which really exists, sound which we are efficiently designed not to hear, since it's very distracting or unnecessary.

There is a significant amount of sound around us which we can't hear, but what is it? What does it sound like? That I don't know, but perhaps a few others in this forum have some insight or conjecture.

Peace.

It is usually associated with the hallucinative perception of sounds which don't exist.

However, in some cases they are quite simply hearing sound which really exists, sound which we are efficiently designed not to hear, since it's very distracting or unnecessary.

There is a significant amount of sound around us which we can't hear, but what is it? What does it sound like? That I don't know, but perhaps a few others in this forum have some insight or conjecture.

Peace.

And how long have you been hearing these voices?

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
The article you linked to simply said, (quoting last sentence in the abstract): "The MMNm dipole moment might reflect the functional decline at the prodromal stage of schizophrenia."

In other words, people at ultra high risk for schizophrenia might be deficient in processing sounds from an early stage. The article didn't mention anything about them being able to hear sounds that normal people cannot. Unless you think that normal processing blocks some sounds from getting through, which the article did not mention. I admit I'm not familiar with "dipole moments". I know dipole loudspeakers, lol, but it doesn't seem to applicable here.

Last edited:
You're right, it didn't say that.

Although it says

"Pre-attentive auditory deficits, which represent a core feature of schizophrenia,"

Pre-attentive auditory processing blocks a lot of sound.

From Wikipedia

"The reasons are unclear as to why certain information proceeds from pre-attentive to attentive processing while other information does not"

Pre-attentive processing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Note that "attentional processing" is involved in the auditory as well, my understanding is attentional pre-conscious processing works like in this picture

Wikipedia-spotlight.jpg

Schizophrenia is associated with certain changes in brain chemistry.

Nobody knows, however, whether the changes cause the schizophrenia, or whether the schizophrenia causes the changes.

You need to calm down. You're over-thinking things. Try to relax. Try to focus less on technical issues, and appreciate the beauty of nature.

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
Well, you don't have to be a genius to know that most people only get a little part of what's happening. Sometimes we get more and sometimes we get less. Sometimes we get this, and sometimes we get that. The whole story? No, we will never get it. A piece here and a piece there and if you're not happy with that...

And better leave mental disorder alone, for, if we go deep into this we might discover unpleasant surprises - like the fact that we're all crazy, which is not very flattering.

"Patricia Sluming and colleagues [14], of Liverpool, UK, published a paper in which they reported anatomical differences in Broca’s area between musicians and non-musicians. In particular, the authors reported increased grey matter in Broca’s area in the left inferior frontal gyrus in musicians. In addition, they observed significant age-related volume reductions in cerebral hemispheres, dorsolateral prefrontal cortex bilaterally, and grey matter density in the left inferior frontal gyrus in controls but not in musicians! In other words, musicians showed no or a smaller decrease in grey matter density in the frontal cortex compared with non-musicians with increasing age. (This is very important for aging research since the volume of the frontal cortex has been shown to correlate negatively with age [15,16].) This anatomical study suggests that orchestral musical performance might promote use-dependent retention, and possibly expansion, of grey matter within Broca’s area (a brain area that is responsible for speech production, language processing, and language comprehension as well as controlling facial neurons; it is named after Pierre Paul Broca, who discovered the area after studying the postmortem brain of a patient with a speech impairment). In addition, this study emphasises the significant point that shared neural networks (within Broca’s area) are involved in the control of language and music. In a more recent study, the same group showed that Broca’s area is also involved in the control of mental rotation, but only in musicians [17]. They relate this extraordinary finding to the sight-reading skills of musicians. In sight reading, visuospatial cognition is related to some kind of language decoding. Broca’s area might be involved in the control of this specific inter-relationship"

In other words, sight-reading keeps your mind young.

Noteworthy.

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Well, you don't have to be a genius to know that most people only get a little part of what's happening. Sometimes we get more and sometimes we get less. Sometimes we get this, and sometimes we get that. The whole story? No, we will never get it. A piece here and a piece there and if you're not happy with that...

And better leave mental disorder alone, for, if we go deep into this we might discover unpleasant surprises - like the fact that we're all crazy, which is not very flattering.

There are well respected theories regarding this.

The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind by Julian Jaynes | Julian Jaynes Society

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.