Employee titles

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi folks....
I work for a company with international clients and visitors. For the n'th time in my 38 year career with this company, there is a profile change again, involving logos etc etc , and this time also the name of the main company.

We are a rather diverse bunch of people, about 60 in total, ranging from no particular education except general high school to BSC's, MSc's and a few PhD's.....
Some of our employee titles are OK in norwegian, but sounds downright silly in english, be it US or british. Hoping you folks might have some better suggestions... In general, a lot of us have rather a good selection of different hats for diffrent situations......

We have group of carpenters, painters, mechanics etc, with trade certificates. Some do work of a typical janitor, but all do assist or perform special tasks when necesseary. Which common name would be suitable for this group of people?

W also have a small hotel at our premises, but the cleaners ( some also certified) also assist in other work, - reception, in our canteen on occations when there's lots of people on the premises., - and so on and so forth........

I am responsible for electric power installations, communications systems and a fair selection of more or less strange electronic equipment, and a staff of four, BSc by education. By traditional standards, I'd be senior engineer, but because of budgets, economics and planning, as well as work management and organisation, they call me 'manager', - and there's two more of us with different responsibilities....
At 61, I don't really care as long as the paycheck is acceptable.... but anyone have any better suggestions...???

TIA

for 'handyman' and 'whatever it takes' type jobs,
their future employment possibilities might be aided
if they had a title like 'customer service' or 'technical assistance',

titles don't mean as much if you have a college degree
and can elucidate just what you did on a job (and it checks out).

but for people who really take care of a lot of **** and don't have an advanced degree,
a job title can mean a lot, and being trusted to be the "face" of the company helps.

if management gets "pithy" (that is, pi**y) about it, remind the big-shots that they're
'not paying them any more than they were before'.

Call everyone "associate". Including management level. Its like comrade, but without the rouge-tinged implications.

You would be an Engineering Associate. The cleaners and fixers would be Maintenance Associates. Staff in the Hotel - Accommodation or Hospitality Associates.

High level managers just get an abbreviation. ***. should do it nicely. ;-)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
We have group of carpenters, painters, mechanics etc, with trade certificates. Some do work of a typical janitor, but all do assist or perform special tasks when necesseary. Which common name would be suitable for this group of people?
In large hotels these jobs are commonly called Maintenance and/or Engineering. They might be called Millwright in a factory, but that is a more specific term. Millwrights usually build, repair and modify machinery.

On my first trip to Tokyo, I asked one of the sales folks in the office to have some biz cards printed up before I arrived. They had them engraved, no thermoset. I should have saved them for they managed to turn out the heads of several leasing companies who seemed to be expecting royalty! And all we wanted to do was piano bar. To this day I have no idea what they put on the card as my title, but I am certain it was highly exalted above my lowly state.

. . . I'd be senior engineer, but . . . they call me 'manager' . . .
I'd consider the "manager" title an insult. How about Lead Engineer - Engineering Team Leader - Technical Facilitator?

Call everyone "associate". Including management level. Its like comrade, but without the rouge-tinged implications . . . .
I'd actually prefer "comrade". Calling everybody an "Associate" was real trendy a few years back and has not died out yet. At best it's meaningless verbiage just taking up space - kind of the 23-yr old MBA's equivalent of littering every sentence with "Ya know?". When I've looked closer at titles containing "Associate", it's a transparent, disingenuous, attempt to imply a degree of equality and authority that simply does not exist. It would be more accurate to include simply "Employee" or "Worker" in every job title.

"Maintenance" and "Housekeeping"
Yeah, let's eschew obfuscation. Perhaps "Facilities Support" and "Guest Accommodations" might work.

Some other brainstorm ideas that may inspire a descriptive title for your workers:

• For a long time I fantasized about being a design engineer, or at least doing engineering work. I passed out business cards (see atch) showing the title "Analog Artisan". (It was tempting, but I never listed my firm as "Amalgamated Feces Design", with the motto, "We have it together.".)
  • During one of my (several) stints with a local job-search club, I headed the committee that did set-up and tear-down of tables and chairs; secured and set up whatever A-V equipment, marker boards, etc, requested by our guest speakers, and reproduced handouts they wanted to distribute; monitored parking lot traffic and directed attendees to parking spots that wouldn't annoy the neighbors; made and served the coffee, and purchased kitchen supplies as needed. I was called the "Arrangements Coordinator".
Dale

Attachments

• Bus_Card01.jpg
    Bus_Card01.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 86
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.