What one does with autistic, gifted children

Status
Not open for further replies.
We just discovered that my friends autistic child is gifted regarding the calender.
Her cousin reported that the autistic child ( now about 16 or so ) can tell you the day ( Mon to Sun ) for ANY date of ANY year. They tried some 20 odd wildly varying dates and years and she immediately came up with the correct answers ! She made one mistake and when it was pointed out she corrected it immediately ! In normal life you can't have a 'normal' conversation with her and she never looks anyone in the face.She does go to a special school for autistic children. She obviously couldn't have learnt it there.

She also seems psychic. When they go to some shops or buildings she refuses to enter some of them. She panics if forced to enter them ! What does she see in them ? Same way she reacts strangely in the presence of certain people. That characteristic she has had from childhood. She panicked in the presence of certain people. Those people just had to leave ! Very embarrassing for the parents.

No one knows what is going on because you can't have a normal conversation with the child. I couldn't think of anything they could do. Does anyone have any idea ? .

These things just remind one of how little we know of so many things around us !

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
There was something similar shown on TV many years back. A person that could name what day of the week any date in any year fell on. Another could look at a building for a few moments (something like the Houses of Parliament in London) and then go away and draw it showing every detail, every window, all the ornamentation etc.

It does indeed show how little we know.

She also seems psychic
psychic - The Skeptic's Dictionary - Skepdic.com
Are you really claiming this girl can see the future or dead people? If so, please ask her for next Saturday's lotto numbers?

autism and thimerosal - Skeptimedia - The Skeptic's Dictionary - Skepdic.com

All this rain man and other nonsense has clouded a GENETIC problem for a long time. Yes, do some research. Parents (or grandparents) with autism spectrum disorder have kids with the same condition.
Gee, who would have thought that sort of of problem has a genetic basis? (Sorry, it was a rhetorical question because parents will never attribute their own kids problems to the genes they gave them.)

Abs

Thanks for all the information.
Hi Godfrey: she does appear to be a savant. Wonder if such children could hone their skills ? How does one determine what else they are capable of ? Even this one about the 'dates' popped up unexpectedly !
I suggested that they try out some 'unexpected' questions to see if she is really psychic. We will know in a few weeks.
Cheers.
Happy New Year to you all.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Is it possible she hears or smells something that other people ignore? That would be my guess.

no, I would suggest to keep it on a reasonable level

and say that she is probably 'just' exstremely sensitive
and when frustration combines with the hysteric side, that is the the reaction you get

quite 'nomal' I would say, or logical

regarding children with such hysteric reaction, they have found that the best way to calm them down is to try and get their attention by directing their focus towards something they understand ... and keeping them calm and focused is the best way

but it may not be very good to let her have the power to make the rules
until better develloped and educated, spychopathic tendencies may occur

"...I thought her school would be able to help..."

Yeah, in a way, like all other similar schools I guess. I always felt that more could be done but don't know how !

"...their brain and emotional system is under constant stress..."

Well she has no stress from family or others she meets regularly. But I can see that those 'gears ' are running all the time, apparently pretty fast ! Like it 'possibly' takes a lot of effort to respond to things said to her. A pity that no one can see inside her mind........unless maybe a real psychic ?
She loves to cook ! AND has a photographic memory for practically everything. Never forgets someone, even those she met years ago ! Very good with the computer !
The good Lord gave her a lot of capabilities that the average person doesn't have but the 'people interface' got scrambled.
But I'm glad that even with all this she brings a lot of cheer to people.

Having a nice personality helps. My nephew is an autistic adult. When he was a child, you could put all the pieces of a jigsaw puzzle on the table, face down. Without ever looking at the fronts, he'd have the whole thing assembled perfectly in minutes.

The way brains are wired and function is one of the most interesting research areas in science, for sure.

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
I always think,

that these "gifts" such as dates and calendar are very interesting (maths and drawing). The brain can obviously do or is capable of such things. I wonder why it is dormant in other people? What would the world be like if we could all do it?

Along the psychic side I would try to distance her from it. Even if there might seem to be something. The world is difficult enough without falling down the rabbit hole. :)
I remember a film in the past called the cube (scifi) that had a twist with maths calculation. (Just for fun)

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.