What one does with autistic, gifted children

Status
Not open for further replies.
A number of people out here have found quite good results with this "Tomatis Sound Therapy" that I myself use to get rid of my tinnitus and CPS (Cocktail Party Syndrome)

Curiously, that 'all natural' enzyme supplement called "Wobenzym" that's been around for years and is usually recommended for inflammation reduction, joint aches, etc is also quite useful, without side effects, apparently.

"...I thought her school would be able to help..."

Yeah, in a way, like all other similar schools I guess. I always felt that more could be done but don't know how !

I'm not sure the school is sufficiently helpful. Unfortunately she has been 16. This kind of problem should be addressed very early since they are babies.

I have seen many parents make the same mistake. Starting with cannot accept/admit that their kid has problem (thinking they are gifted instead) then do not do what is necessary to fix the problem.

The main idea is to help them to become self dependent. They shouldnt be allowed to develop "by themselves", tey have to be trained. Many animals can be trained to do smart things. Autistic children, no matter severe, are better than animals. They should be able to wash themselves, pee in toilet, eat or wear shirts.

I found many autistic kids difficult to handle. That's one parents mistake. They should be trained since babies to follow order, to behave like normal people. Parents should be discipline (and patient to promote it) instead of pitying the kid and allow them to do whatever they want (and let them become useless adults). Here parents should have dominant or choleric personality. Or if not, find a suitable "teacher".

After becoming teenagers, I believe the main idea still the same, they have to be trained to become self dependent. Find out their interest and talent and develop them so they can become productive.

The most difficult problem IMO is emotional problem. With normal people this is problematic, with autistic would be worse. This is to be addressed very early by parents or teacher who understand psychology. I have seen an autistic kid who was patient when bullied by his friends. But I have seen other who has a tendency for suicide because of emotional weakness.

psychic - The Skeptic's Dictionary - Skepdic.com
Are you really claiming this girl can see the future or dead people? If so, please ask her for next Saturday's lotto numbers?

autism and thimerosal - Skeptimedia - The Skeptic's Dictionary - Skepdic.com

All this rain man and other nonsense has clouded a GENETIC problem for a long time. Yes, do some research. Parents (or grandparents) with autism spectrum disorder have kids with the same condition.
Gee, who would have thought that sort of of problem has a genetic basis? (Sorry, it was a rhetorical question because parents will never attribute their own kids problems to the genes they gave them.)

Abs

genetics is more complex than we give credit . genes can turn on or off or forever stay dormant .

a women with the breast cancer gene is less likely to get breast cancer but if she does its more likely to be aggressive .

heart attacks started killing people around 100 years ago , cancer in children started around 50 years ago . many diseases have a beginning in our history .
the history of most diseases will clearly show no genetic link . although every choice one makes is in someway genetically influenced . so genes will always play some part .

modern diseases have a modern cause . its all well documented .

the medical profession spend billions on researching the effects of diseases on the human body and not on how the disease happened in the first place .

Hippocrates said:
It is far more important to know what person the disease has than what disease the person has.

the richest countries are the sickest countries , because the money in treatment and research far outweighs the money for the cure .

disease then in the main is a personal choice , probably one which you was unaware of .

you have to sign for treatment and thus all results are voluntary , so if you die from a vaccine it is classed as a voluntary suicide . as is dying from a skin cream , its all part of the ICD10 , which are the codes used by many countries on your death certificates .

ICD10-x64 covers suicide by vaccine .

Yes, Absconditus,

Here in Oz, the Tomatis Therapy is available via a number of "Wellness Centres" (Alternative Health Centres) and under other names all around the world - it was developed about 60 years ago in Europe and is very well tested indeed - it's just not 'mainstream medicine' and unheard of by our 'normal' medical institutions.

Wobenzym have been around for about 40 years and is also very well documented, for all sorts of ailments and happily it seems to be useful with people suffering from Autism too - it's classed as a health food by the FDA so is readily available in the US and isn't at all expensive.

As Mikie indicated above, there is so much money invested in trying to keep us 'healthy' via 'the medical/hospital system' that alternative methods are slow to be tried/used particularly if there is little financial return for the pharmaceutical companies, etc

Just wanted to say where's the like button!! :) I think probably the best suggestion on the thread :)

+100!

For every ailment there are people who will tell you there is a diet to cure it. In some cases diet may exacerbate symptoms, but I wouldn't go looking for diet to improve autism/aspergers. Remember, these "health food" or "supplement" nuts are the same ones who recommend drinking colloidal silver or hydrogen peroxide or any other snake oil as cures to what ails you. One of the oldest scams in the world.

I once knew a high functioning savant who could communicate reasonably well and even read and write. He always wanted to know you and your parents' names and birthdays, and if you had a pet and its name. He would remember these for as long as I knew him. He could calculate day of week for any date in a split second, yet he could not tell you what 2+2 was. He lived by rituals and would tend to get upset when the ritual was disrupted, but was able to calm himself down if you noticed and asked him if he would like a time-out.
He worked as a dishwasher running items through on racks and putting them away - and it took him about a year to get it all down such that he could perform it with little supervision and take direction from others if they needed more of a particular item.

I would say the main thing is to love her and try to help her function in the world as independently as possible. Your family will need professional advice on how to do that properly.

heart attacks started killing people around 100 years ago , cancer in children started around 50 years ago . many diseases have a beginning in our history .
Mikie, if you mean by "starting" that a disease has been identified, I think you are correct. If you mean that the diseases really started, you are wrong.

Medical science and knowledge has evolved over decades, and we still are scratching the surface especially concerning the brain and the human mind.
modern diseases have a modern cause . its all well documented .
That's true. Most symptoms defining disease have been documented, their causes are still under investigation, as you describe:
the medical profession spend billions on researching the effects of diseases on the human body and not on how the disease happened in the first place .

the richest countries are the sickest countries , because the money in treatment and research far outweighs the money for the cure .
I don't fully agree. The reasons are usually our life-style, pollution and our food. Our entire society is sick and so we are more likely to get sick. Don't trust the food-industry, nor the pharmaceutic industry and chairs, for they are the main threats to our health...
disease then in the main is a personal choice , probably one which you was unaware of .
Rather harsh statement imho.... Our choices increase the chances of developing certain diseases. Genetic factors contribute to that chance.

On Autism:
The history of Autism Spectrum Disorders is very recent. It is not ONE disorder, it is a Spectrum of related disorders. At first only diagnosed in children, later ('70ies and on) also in adults. The impact can be huge, also in the mildest cases. Treatment is mainly a form of Behavioral Therapy and diet. Fish and vegetables are usually advised.
Also the social environment has a lot of impact on the autistic patient(bad term). Understanding the limitations (e.g. emotions, relations, communication) the patient faces, and how to deal with them, can make a lot of difference for the patient. So not only the patient has to undergo therapy, but his or her environment also ought to.

Yes, I suffer from one of the many mild forms...

Last edited:
Since autism is genetically determined to a large degree, and since autism sufferers suffer great difficulty cooordinating will and action, suffer from disproportional input from senses compared to folk more on the middle of the bell curve, and have emotions as strong as anyone else's, it's not surprising there is a great deal of misunderstanding of their situation.

I think it is only sensible under such circumstances to pay close attention to those autistic people that can communicate. Description can sometimes be far more useful than theory.

Ido In Autismland

Here in Oz, the Tomatis Therapy is available via a number of "Wellness Centres" (Alternative Health Centres) and under other names all around the world - it was developed about 60 years ago in Europe and is very well tested indeed - it's just not 'mainstream medicine' and unheard of by our 'normal' medical institutions.

Wobenzym have been around for about 40 years and is also very well documented, for all sorts of ailments and happily it seems to be useful with people suffering from Autism too - it's classed as a health food by the FDA so is readily available in the US and isn't at all expensive.

As Mikie indicated above, there is so much money invested in trying to keep us 'healthy' via 'the medical/hospital system' that alternative methods are slow to be tried/used particularly if there is little financial return for the pharmaceutical companies, etc

There is only one "medicine"; the one that is tested and you refer to as "conventional". It is conventional in that it is subject to rigorous conventions that require it to be tested before it is released on the public. The other so-called "complementary medicine" is a mishmash of anecdotes and "inventions" that have never been subject to real scrutiny.

The treatments you mention may have many supporters but so too do witch doctors in less advanced cultures. Support means nothing unless it is by research studies. For example, homeopathy has many supporters but, since it fails both the tests of logic (its claims are preposterous to say the least) and chemistry (for one, it blithely ignores Avogadro's Number entirely), it is nothing but pure quackery.

Anyway, back directly to topic; advocating a treatment that gives false hope is not what I regard as ethical or moral.

Abs

advocating a treatment that gives false hope is not what I regard as ethical or moral.

Especially if the false hope is commercial. People mostly will do anything to be cured. In this instance, most doctors and the associate pharma industry are criminals.

Autism is a modern thing. Doctors, psychologists, they don't "know" ANYTHING about it. Those who know better are the ones that have hands-on experience with autistic people. They can be parents of autistic children, or those who are specialized to help disable people (autistic or not). These teachers graduate from specialized university to educated people with disability. They know how to teach Braille and other skills. They have the hands on experience and the suitable methodology to teach. These are the best people to be hired to assist autistic children. Putting the kids with the other disabled in the special school is imo not a good solution, unless you don't have the money to hire the teacher.

There are many kinds of "therapy" for autistic kids. Some are expensive, useless and dangerous. It is good to find out the good one from the experience of parents (who have gone a lot of therapies and have found one that work wonder). Not many can be found in Internet, and always be critical when there's commerciality involved.

But nothing will help more than teaching/training the kids to be able to perform like normal people. Any normal kids need good teaching, autistic kids need a thousand more. This is currently imho the best "news" regarding how to "cure" autism (but is mostly forgotten or ignored).

when, you have cancer, will you exercise the opinion you have given so very strongly; don't consult a doctor?

Of course I will consult whoever i think have the expertise in the field, which are doctors. But I will not trust everything they say. There are "moments" where I know better.

I know drug life cycle, and the processes associated with it. In us, pharmaceutical is probably the "biggest" industry. Medical doctor is a profession I have the least respect for. Of course not all is that bad. But it is a job. You need to prescribe as many drug as possible to be financially successful. It is a critical profession so imagine what happen when money is more important than morality.

Stuart,
(What is IOW, please?)

I don't profess to be any expert about this and no doubt there are all sorts of controlled studies that would question the benefits of this European based Tomatis system of medical practice - I didn't know DrTomatis supported AIT at all, so something learned here.

If you have an autistic family member, some of the alternative health techniques/options are at least worth looking at, particularly if the 'established institutions' are unable to provide assistance, techniques, improvements, methods or other benefits.

This is what happened to me with the tinnitus and this particular technique was quite unconventional indeed - however, it worked like a charm, and still does.

Some other people have tried the same/similar method and obtained improvements with autistism - it is well known in Europe and Canada and becoming more 'mainstream' in the US.

The treatments you mention may have many supporters but so too do witch doctors in less advanced cultures

From this comment, it's pretty obvious you don't agree, but why do you feel it's necessary to be so abusive about my 'so-called' unethical and immoral advocacy of a false hope treatment?

There is only one "medicine"; the one that is tested and you refer to as "conventional". It is conventional in that it is subject to rigorous conventions that require it to be tested before it is released on the public

Yeah, Right - good luck with that, especially if you happen to develop cancer in this country.

They'll apply this 'rigorously tested conventions' that'll cut, burn and poison your body in some vain hope of extending your life longer than a couple of years with an accelerated decline in the quality of your shortened life at a ridiculous cost to the community that only really benefits the 'health care' professionals/doctors/system and the pharmaceutical companies.

But, pardon me for offering some information about a possible method that MAY offer benefits that aren't double tested or achieve critical acclaim via the traditional medicine testing protocols.

As another posted: love them.

My step son is autistic. Very good at math and spelling, but verbally and socially challenged, which is a great frustration to him, and leads to aggression. He is lovely, but can flip in an instant. Its difficult to be an example sometimes. He is opposite to the OP case, we told him its a whole year to next Xmas and he still believes its only next week.

He has a worker at school who helps him in class.

This is great, but a double edged sword. He needs extra support, but in treatment in this way, he is made to appear different to the other children.

That is something with which i fundamentally disagree: often these kids already feel like outsiders and different.

Unfortunately, sometimes the treatment is far from ideal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.