The death of the home stereo system

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The same "victory of convenience" has reduced quality in nearly every aspect of our lives. Just look at what the masses call "food" these days.

Quality takes time, care, effort...

Lack of quality results in dis-satisfaction, dis-ease...

Lack of quality is back-filled with quantity, via convenience. Quantity leads to repeated and inevitable dis-satisfaction, dis-ease.

This applies universally; appliances, electronics, media/information, clothing, food, politics, conversation, friendship, sex ....

I sometimes wonder why anyone still takes time , care, effort at all...when even the finest and most expensive product has such a short expected lifespan on the market .

Joined 2011
Paid Member
I talk with my kids about the stereo system all the time. They are polite enough to listen to me go on about it, and only pretend to understand most of it. Yet, much more of it has rubbed off on them than I expected. On top of that, they both have excellent ears and can (for example) easily distinguish subtle differences between DACs in blind tests. They truly do appreciate high quality audio and seem to understand why I put so much emphasis on it. They'll still listen to crap audio from their phone or tablet if convenience is the more important factor for a given situation, but in doing so they do understand that it sounds horrible.

Just yesterday I was showing one of my daughters my "new" EQ. At first she was captivated by the pretty lights, and suggested that all the lights should be blue, not red. Then I went on to demonstrate how it works and she thought it was pretty cool.

I refuse to let my offspring be party to the death of the home stereo system. If/when they leave home, I'll be sending an amp and a pair of speakers along with them.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.