The best sounded cellphone...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok. what is the best sounded cellphone? (for all times)

some weeks ago my friend with old nokia 5610 playing to my house, and I am interested with this phone, so I am buying one and the sound is really better than many newer cellphones.

Is there some other good sounded cellphones with at least little impressed you with the sound? Please not comparing cellphone with hifi, only cellphones.

I believe that you don't use Nokia for hand-phone? It's my favorite brand since the old days of big handphones. I think so because imo the ExpressMusic is quite terrible. Only the earphone is "designed" for music (and of course the software features).

Sony-Ericsson is well known for music, and now continued by Sony (cheapest is around $170). But Nokia is surprisingly very good with music too, even the cheap ones. I guess this is because of the simplicity of the design that may suit those who prefer "zen" approach to sound.

Samsung is a brand who will use advanced circuit and parts but imo they don't know about audio. But because of this effort to provide high technology and costly parts, their amplifiers might be preferred by the majority. It's like an amp with full effect control. But that means opamps in the signal path, which for me is terrible, not enjoyable in the long listening.

Nokia 6210 is good. The speaker is very good, and if you record the sound, the recorded sound through the internal speaker is really really good. But I lost the handphone.

Now I use cheaper Nokia (around $35), but I like the simplicity of the sound than some Samsung, Blackberry, Ipod, etc. Problem is there is that terrible "click" after each song ends/starts.

@jay.
Thanks, but is 6210 support mp3? I am using motorolla W series in the past.

@JonSnell
If your phone is capable of playing MP3 files and you plug the headphone output into your amplifier, they are all much the same.
No, they are not same, my nokia 5610 sound is still not good if connected to amplifier, it sounded like bad digital, laptop is still much better. But 5610 has good sound using its loudspeaker while playing.

Hi, jay. 5610 sounded better than some good mp3 players and other phones.

Sure. It's the Nokia, not the 5610. You can compare with other Nokias (I have difficulties in remembering the series).

Headphone amp (in a cellphone) is simple circuit. What important is the quality of the parts and the power supply. Nokia is known for good battery/power supply and durability.

nokia
n91 is too old,
5800 too complex,
5130 too fragile and the sound match with 5610.
new nokia aren't good sounded and more fatiguing.

Sony with ST audio chips is away sounded like new common phones.

Iphone has just mp3 player class sound.

Any more choice?

What's your opinion about HTC's?
Admittedly, I have only a Creative ZEN and a Nomad jukebox ZEN to compare it to, but my HTC Desire HD does give a very good sound (with Sony's XB700 earphones you easily spot distortion and bad quality), tho only time i skipped songs is when the quality of the MP3 is bad...

I never use htc, may be the others could clarify. I ever use some samsung galaxy, but not for playing mp3. HTC desire HD looks like good speed android phone with HD camera. Good phone:). I hope that I listen htc sometimes.

While using a headphone, the headphone itself has big portion to the quality.

Well, I choose my phones not for their sound or gadgets or software etc. I only look at the looks. That's why i've had a V3 razr for years, despite it being horribly impractical; it just looked looked sleek and stylish (all it needs to do was text and call, nowadays i'll want it to play music, have WiFi/internet and whatsapp, but that's basically it).

Anyway, back on track; I don't know how well my HTC's speaker performs compared to other phones, because I firmly believe that all phone speakers aren't good enough to do any music the least bit justice.
It does however have a surprisingly nice audio chip, however, I do have to point out again that I only have quite old MP3 players to compare it to.
I do however listen very carefully to any sound I hear, picking out inconsistencies and imperfections...

[edit]
Come to think of it: It's speaker does sound nice. I just realized I wake up every morning to 3 different songs it plays, since I also use it as an alarm clock... ^_^

Last edited:
Yes you are right, a cellphone sound isn't perfect. Even n91 sound is much worse than my little speaker (2") with my little amp drive it.

But at least some type of cellphone is being mentioned here, including HTC desire HD, it may one of best sounded android phone, also the other specifications is looks good, good choice.:)

Polytron is a local audio company known for their low price hi-fi products. Imo, they really know about audio. That's why I think their cellphones might be very good.

Today I checked their availability in a shop nearby. Around $22. I already have too many players so I thought "may be later".

Nowadays cellphones are getting worse in their sound quality compared to 90's cellphone, some more fatiguing, some more just working playing loud. For who like cellphone to playing mp3 without aditional mp3 player, it is difficult to choose the phone to buy. For example if we need good sounded android phone, we may try HTC.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.