ears alone?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
See BBC News - Sight dominates sound in music competition judging. Nice to know that it is not just audio journalists that judge sound with their eyes!

PS The link text above somehow picked up the page title, which did not appear to be in the URL string - how did that happen?
Saved me some typing , so I'm not complaining. Did this website pop over to the BBC and pick up the page title from there?

Last edited:
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
They do, they do. :)

"It's all about the music" they say - at the huge light, video and sound shows that pass as concerts these days. Really, it's all about the show.

True. But in order to get these expensive stage shows, they first have to get a record company to pick them up and back the tour. So talent does figure into it at the beginning of the process.

As far as rap goes, I'm not in the target audience so I'm in no position to judge who's talented and who isn't.

Amplifier sounds better if it looks good

We always knew people buy based on how things look rather than perform but perhaps it also affects our perception of how good it sounds ?

"The research, published in the PNAS journal, found that people shown silent videos of piano competitions could pick out the winners more often than those who could also hear the music."

BBC News - Sight dominates sound in music competition judging

I wonder how we, us here, might be susceptible but, like everyone else, not be aware of it?

I try to remember that music is a social endeavour. It is necessarily part of a show. I wonder sometimes if, sitting at home making stuff and listening to it on my own so much, I've lost the plot? If I'm not part of a tribe, who am I to judge quality of performance?

Sometimes, impressed or otherwise by the picture on my oscilloscope, I feel silly.

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
I wonder how we, us here, might be susceptible but, like everyone else, not be aware of it?

I try to remember that music is a social endeavour. It is necessarily part of a show. I wonder sometimes if, sitting at home making stuff and listening to it on my own so much, I've lost the plot? If I'm not part of a tribe, who am I to judge quality of performance?

Isn't DIYaudio a tribe?

Birds of a feather flock together!
However, why does music make you want to tap your feet or dance?
Why does it have a physical impact on your body.

Visual cues disco lights come to mind or concert light shows. (Yes all rock), no think about fireworks at a classical concert. Aren't cannons also used!

The amount of times the Planet suite has been used to add excitement to war films. Emotional content!
Drums in the deep. Tolkien.

Chaplin silent movies, remove the music?

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.