I always wanted..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
what have you always to buy or build that may or may not be silly, pointless, or asked other idea that gets the ol' "why would you bother? " or "what a waste of time!" response from most.

I've been thinking for a while how hilarious, awesome and pointless it would be to build a pure class D valve amp. all the style and beauty of a valve amp, with efficiency of class D, counteracted by the power hungry valve, with the additional of lowered Fidelity of the class D.

all you would really need to do is remove the output filter network from an existing class D amp and connect the output to the valve. if you had an audio output transformer in there too, it would likely filter out the "carrier wave" or whatever you want to call it, and help with back emf.

point is, it would be uber cool.

what are yours?

"Lowered fidelity of class D". Hmmm A year ago I would have agreed. DIfferent for sure. Having only heard the Rotel, I kind of liken it to the difference of a digital vs film picture. Once digital got over 16 Meg, they surpassed ASA 200 35mm film in resolution. But they are different. Is it the sensitivity to IR? Different color rendering? Don't know but different. The Rotel was quiet. Seemed clean and detailed. It did not make me feel comfortable. Maybe I expected the older soft Rotel sound from the 9's and 10's.

Why not use the tubes as switches and actually build a class D amp? An RF output tube should be fast enough. LC output coupling and filter in one. You may need an RF bandwidth tube driver stage to get the voltage swing.

It's probably been done, but I always wanted to build a power amp that was roughly like a Quad 404, but the low-current part made from an output-transformerless tube amp, and MOSFET current dumpers. No reason, just always thought it would be cool. (Not "temperature cool" but just cool.)

I always wanted a Reel to Reel, finally 3 years ago the timing was perfect and I have a Teac 3340s reel to reel.
Bought a dozen tapes off ebay. Made some great recordings, then promptly switched to digital.
Now the R2R just sits there.

Did you grab one of their Dolby units or a DBX to use with it? I have fond memories of mine. Of course, I went digital as soon as the Sony Beta worked as a PCM audio deck.

No, my system has plenty of head room so tapes sound surprisingly good.
Dumping a digital file to the tape my ears could not hear the difference between the 2 files. Way easier to just click on the file then to mess with the tape. :)

Did you grab one of their Dolby units or a DBX to use with it? I have fond memories of mine. Of course, I went digital as soon as the Sony Beta worked as a PCM audio deck.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.