Pussy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just curious (like a cat) - are these wire biting cats living in the house only? Do they go outside often?

In my case, indoor only. Then during his second summer when he was fully grown I found out he had a talent for escapology that would shame Harry Houdini. He learned how to open sliding doors, those which you push to open and kitchen cupboards where the bottom of the door protrudes. Jumping out of high windows became a real speciality :superman: :blackcat:

So I just gave up, and he is now free to roam. Interestingly, his overall demeanour has improved markedly, and I must admit his propensity for chewing things has declined.:)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Ah, thanks guys.

I know a number of neurotic cats, all of them indoor only cats. Maybe wire chewing is part of the neurosis? One of our cats was a holy terror when he lived with my step-son. The cat was a pure apartment dweller, never been outside. We were really apprehensive when Jr. moved to another town and left the crazy cat with us. But once the cat got over his fear of the great outdoors, he became Mr. Mellow. No mischief, as lovely a cat as you could want. He loves being outside - it's really changed him.

Yes, it looks like he's just finished one. Mmm...

You left out the obvious....

Yes, it looks like he's just finished one. Mmm...tastes like chicken.

Fat Cat loved human attention, and would do anything to get it. He would even let my daughter dress him up in doll clothes and push him around in a doll stroller. He also would get in on the action when the humans were engaged in the consumption of some.....uh.....controlled substances. The female preferred to watch from under the couch or on top of my 7 foot guitar amp stack.

Unfortunately Fat Cat had little fear of anything, and at the time we got 4,000 cars a day down the street in front of my house. Fat Cat could become Flat Cat rather easily if he got out.

We had a third cat for a short time. I was cruising down I-95 one evening in my 1968 Camaro and I saw some SICK F*** throwing kittens off an overpass onto I-95. This caused an accident, and at least 2 dead cats. I grabbed a red and white kitten, and someone else got another. Someone went after the cat killer threatening to throw him into traffic. Someone else went for the cops. Cell phones weren't invented yet. I chose to leave...quickly.

That cat was never right in the head, and didn't get along with the other two. Even though it was smaller and younger it would keep the others from eating. I had an old car (1949 Plymouth) in the garage. The cat would get inside it through a hole in the firewall and not come out until she heard the cat food box. We named her "crazy" but eventually gave her away.

Well, the same stuff (I think it was called "Thum") used to keep kids from biting fingernails can be used to keep cats from chewing cables - it's cayenne extract, and they don't like that one bit. Rubbing the cables down with Nature's Orange might also help - I've heard they don't like orange oil at all.

Well, the same stuff (I think it was called "Thum") used to keep kids from biting fingernails can be used to keep cats from chewing cables - it's cayenne extract, and they don't like that one bit.

My cat is very partial to small cans of chilli tuna and has no problems disposing of steak remains that had been smothered in Tabasco. :blackcat: :redhot:

I trained both cats as kittens not to come into this room. Wife and kids too. There are all sorts of ways to break things or get fried in here. How? Cat Repellent! I used an ordinary spray bottle set for a stream filled with water. When a kitten would try to sneak in, zap, a blast of water in the face would convince them to go away. It took Fat Cat about a year to learn, but he would sit by the door and watch....until I plugged in a guitar....then both cats are under the couch in the other end of the house.

Hey George. You must have a very tolerant wife. My better half would go NUTS if I sprayed her in the face with a spray bottle !!

Every time I ate cat, it tasted like cat.

Are you trying to get a visit from the PETA police????

PETA = People for the Eating of Tasty Animals :)

You must have a very tolerant wife. My better half would go NUTS if I sprayed her in the face with a spray bottle !!

Wife and kid learned real quick the night I embedded parts of an electrolytic cap in the ceiling. After over 30 years some of it is still there. They never wanted to come in here.

Lesson Learned:

Never jump the fuse in an IBM PC power supply and plug it in. Use a 100 watt light bulb with clip leads attached.

If they can sense electricity then the newest cat-toy fad might look like this:

I used to have a photographic darkroom, and we used one of these Staticmaster brushes to clean negatives before popping them into the enlarger. I found out that they work wonders for cleaning records before playing. I usually kept it under the turntable dust cover, but I forgot one day, and Fat Cat chewed it up. It didn't seem to neutralize him, and after leaving it in the sun to dry out, the Staticmaster survived. These things are nuclear.....

Company Seven | Staticmaster™ Cleaning & Ionizing Brush

I remember reading a claim on a forum (I think this one) that cat's can detect high voltage fields through their whiskers. Does anyone have any evidence to suggest this claim is factually based or mere myth. Reference to any published scientific papers would be most appreciated.

The main reason that I ask is that my friendly feline delights in taunting me :darkside: by chewing through cables with various degrees of success; however they are always ones which carry low voltages - to date, two ipad charger outputs, one laptop charger output, two interconnects and a speaker cable.

To date he hasn't touched a live 240 AC cable, even if relatively thin and flimsy.

Thoughts?

Careful, Pussy usually get 50% of all voltages ...... :drink:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.