Looks like MP3s might be starting to not be so popular

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I didn't follow the tour this year - but asked a video engineer at work who did. He watched it on NBC Sorts here in the U.S. He said no problems overall, and that the aerial shots where "stunning". Only problems he saw we loss of signal from the motorcycle cams in the mountains.

So maybe Eurosport, or someone downstream from there, is re-compressing the signal to make it fit in a tight bandwidth. Seems it looked great here.

I saw no issues on Eurosport HD on my LED TV except the signal loss from the motorbike cameras at times you've mentioned.

I have noticed though that they use less audio (level) compression on HD channels than on the regular channels. Every time I switch from a HD channel to a non-HD one I have to adjust the volume too.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
So maybe it is TV based, the artifacts?
Same problem here with analog SD audio vs HD digital. Always louder on the SD. I suspect it's done at the cable head end when modulating into RF. The digital HD channels are at about the same level as my BluRay player audio.

It does a better impression of grass on an SD broadcast than any HD TV I've seen on an SD broadcast
As strange a sentence as that is, I understand exactly what you mean - and agree. :D

Pano said:
As for grass on the football pitch, could you really see it in standard def? Or did you just imagine that you saw it?
You can see a bandwidth-limited representation of grass on analogue TV, whether the camera is moving or not. Digital TV gives slightly better grass when the camera is stationary, but no grass when the camera is moving. During football the camera is almost always moving.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Thanks, I understand what you mean, and yes, that's the biggest downfall of digital compression. It was talked about a lot leading up the digital conversion, and why sports channels are meant to get a lot of bandwidth. For most image the compression works quite well, but for moving images with high detail - well... something has to go.

Would have to do the math, but I think that broadcast HD video is far more compressed than typical audio MP3s.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.