Looks like MP3s might be starting to not be so popular

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I didn't measure the noises. They are almost as loud as the program material on some mp3 files. Granted they were most likely because someone didn't burn the file properly. I have heard the same thing on many mp3 recordings.

The noises are like whistles, echos, and pops. On some of the "better ones" it is faint but painfully obvious to me.

I have heard some mp3 files that did not exhibit these characteristics. They sounded quite acceptable to me.

I've never owned an mp3 player and most likely never will. Even some CDs sound awful to me, but it's the same reason that LPs sound bad- it's in the mix.

well, looks like that's what I described in a post above: you can never know what encoder was used, some used to be crappy and I'm talking from direct experience. but I really doubt the same would happen with LAME or another good encoder.

On the other side of the delivery chain, MP3s can't be directly edited, forcing content providers to perform format conversions and pay pointless codec licensing fees. Content stored in compressed format limits generational uses. Everywhere in my industry it's being removed for the sake of fidelity and efficiency.
Like horses, compressed audio will survive in niche applications. Everyone else will take the highway.
I don't view it like that at all. perceptual coding is a good thing, be it for video or audio use, if we're viewing it in the context of broadcast. not using perceptual coding for serious music listening is another, unrelated thing.
everyone seems to forget that one minute of uncompressed HD video would need ~6G of space (700G for a 2-hour movie) and as of 2013 we don't have infinite storage space/bandwidth for free.

Last edited:
I've heard some mp3 files that sounded pretty good on the mid-fi sound system I have hooked up to my computer. I've never heard an mp3 file that sounded even close to good on my real sound system.

The vast majority of mp3 files sound absolutly awful to me. First, I find excessive compression quite objectionable; it is a personal prejudice of mine. Second, the distortion on many mp3s is only 20 dB below
the signal; some are only 7 to 10 dB below the signal! How this sounds "good" to anybody is something I don't understand.

My nephews always claim that "mp3 is perfect." To prove it they played their ipod (how awful those contraptions are) through my hi fi system and gloated. Then I took out a CD of the same track and played it. The difference should have been apparent to a doorknob, but they interpreted the reduced compression (still way too much for me of course) and lack of snaps, ringing, wierd echos, and static as inferior!

The first "hi-fi" I listened to as a kid was a big old tube console. For all its warts, the distortion it produced did not clash with the music like mp3 distortion does. I always find myself totally distracted by the awful noises produced by mp3 that are often just a few dB below the program material.

You confuse data compression with dynamic range compression.

Complexity of actual data limits how far it can be packed. Yes, many mp3's are ghastly, others are indistinguishable by ear.

It is very similar to image compression. jpeg when pushed, looks like crap.

...as of 2013 we don't have infinite storage space/bandwidth for free.

That's the point. Storage per dollar is exploding. Every old timer has stories of paying $1500/gigabyte. Fibre is already the transport of choice for national broadcasters and is appearing in the home, the most recent tests we did on a wireless Internet modem exceeded 30 meg bidirectional speeds. Transport protocols limited to compressed speeds - satellite for example - will remain but become increasingly niche.
With 4K coming on line the pressure to up the game will really start. 2013 is irrelevant.

Complexity of actual data limits how far it can be packed. Yes, many mp3's are ghastly, others are indistinguishable by ear.

actually, with MP3 there's the psychoacoustic model that comes into play. AFAIK, JPEG simply applies a similar algorithm (Huffman coding of the DCT-transformed data) but w/o any perceptual processing/analysis (anyone correct me if I'm wrong).
with MP3 I believe it's the psychoacoustic model and the implementation that counts the most.

DAB is similar. Put it through a decent Hi-Fi and the difference between DAB and FM is truly amazing. I only use MP3 to ascertain if I like a particular recording (just for taste purposes). I then always buy the CD. If we had SACD in the UK, I would probably err for that too.

I appreciate the argument that uncompressed recordings are still available for those who want them, so the ubiquity of MP3's doesn't do us any harm. However, it would be nice if I could enjoy the convenience that listeners of MP3's enjoy. HD tracks is great, but they really only offer a small fraction of what is available on MP3. As several posters have pointed out, memory of portable devices has increased enough that we could all easily move to a less compressed format. If this happened, I wouldn't have to get all of my music on CD. Sadly, as other posters have pointed out, there seems to not be enough demand for better sound to cause this to happen.

You know I have a lot to learn about this stuff. I'm an analog guy. If I could control digital data as precisely as I do my analog stuff, I'd happily roll my own. But I have a long way to go in this arena.

I do certainly understand your JPEG analogy.

actually, with MP3 there's the psychoacoustic model that comes into play. AFAIK, JPEG simply applies a similar algorithm (Huffman coding of the DCT-transformed data) but w/o any perceptual processing/analysis (anyone correct me if I'm wrong).
with MP3 I believe it's the psychoacoustic model and the implementation that counts the most.

Interesting. I need to know more about this.

I do certainly understand psychoacoustics in an old school way.

You know I have a lot to learn about this stuff. I'm an analog guy. If I could control digital data as precisely as I do my analog stuff, I'd happily roll my own. But I have a long way to go in this arena.
Errrr.... I think you are wrong in your concept. Digital data is far more controllable and predictable, invariable, don't affected by interferences, than analog stuff. That's the main point of it. You have almost no control on what happens to any analog signal.

You can struggle to shield it from external factors, but in the end, that's something digital signals are by nature inmune to.

I understand everything you are saying.

My wording is misleading I guess. I'm really sharp with analog circuits. I understand their caveats vs digital circuits. I know how to juggle the shortcomings of analog circuits, and how to mitigate issues with them, to get the result I desire. I have no such ability with digital circuits. I understand the basics, but I need to come up to speed.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
everyone seems to forget that one minute of uncompressed HD video would need ~6G of space
True, but I often record in Adobe ProRes format that needs about 1GB per minute at 720P 60fps. It's compressed, but you can't tell by looking at it. It's visually superb. So much better than broadcast.

Compression can work well, especially as a final delivery format.

True, but I often record in Adobe ProRes format that needs about 1GB per minute at 720P 60fps. It's compressed, but you can't tell by looking at it. It's visually superb. So much better than broadcast.

Compression can work well, especially as a final delivery format.
Compression can look well (look at Bluray as an example) if not bad implementing. Problem with DVB-T is that in order to fit 4 channels per band they apply a hell of a compression.

BTW, from what sources do you get 60fps video?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I get it from my Sony Pro cameras, uncompressed. As it's not practical to store uncompressed video, we use the ProRes format. It is compressed, but not badly. It's very difficult to see any artifacts.

If the compression down to Blu-Ray, WMV9 or H.264 is done right, it does look pretty darn good and allows a much easier transport and storage. The trade-offs are well worth it.

while not being familiar with the digital TV transmission protocol, one thing I do know is that it depends on the TV.
if you're watching non-HD channels, the TV is doing the resampling. and, even with models which are more than decent at HD, this resampling is very poor. it's a rather common issue and I would guess the first thing where cost-saving is done.
but if it happens with HD...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.