Funniest snake oil theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bill in post 9 needs to hang his head in shame..

I'm not a lawyer, just an EE but I have been told using pat. pending when it isn't in order to deliberately mislead can be actionable.

Along the same lines a somewhat prominent guy who sold mics for field recording flogged copycats with his patent even though it was easy to look up that he had let it expire due to nonpayment of maintenance fees.

@kevin Heard of any power outages? My lights keep winking in and out (our whole complex is on a BIG backup generator)?

Last edited:
Perhaps we can't measure everything we hear yet, or we can't measure how we hear yet..........or some such. But we promise to invest some of our exorbitant profits we make from you suckers on research so that we will be able to measure the presently unmeasurable which we will publish for the benefit of the audio community at large

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
@Scott.. Not sure where the power is out, but I observed a quite lot of flickering this morning which is usually an indication that our neighbors further from the local substation are being disconnected.

Power still on here, currently working on the 300V tube power supply for one of the strain gauge pre-amps, there is an uncharacteristic 2mVpp of ripple on the output of this supply and I am coming to the conclusion that I am never going to eradicate it. It was much worse but I think a combination of proximity and high circuit impedances caused all my hair to fall out while tracking down the issue. (Who am I kidding? ;) ) Or maybe the design was never nearly as good as I believed and improved test equipment is allowing me to do better and more damning measurements?

The resulting buzz is below the vinyl noise floor, but not the system or pre-amp noise floor. The solid state supply powered strain gauge is dead quiet.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Especially the fact that the first part has no evidence of any kind to support it. The turn of phrase just sounds like a good slogan.

Yup.. Modern patent nostrum sellers with their pseudo scientific claptrap to justify the fleecing. I think from my experience at shows that some of these guys are drinking their own cool-aide. I have a much bigger problem with the anti-science/anti-vaxer/anti-chemo/anti-gmo crowd.

I do too, Kevin, but the same disordered thinking is generally the root of all of these things.

Not that anyone is exempt from having their odd, refractory, and anti-evidence/science pet theories though. Part of human nature, but definitely a question of how long a leash one gives ourselves.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Exactly what I was getting at DPH, you expressed it better.

Bill, you hit the nail on the head. In my case I think the effect has worn off so far as FB is concerned. Trying to do other things like design & build audio gear, fix my broken designs, get off my butt and do some measurements here and there (I'd prefer to listen). Going to put more time in the mix for reading and watching movies. DTV is ending SDTV digital service soon which is just the excuse I needed to get a modern 4K TV and a BD player. (If I am going to have to pay for HD service I might as well get the benefit and my current Sony set is at least 21 years old)

Status
Not open for further replies.