Funniest snake oil theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of what has been said in the last few posts is not entirely rational or logical. It's more like a bunch of junior high school bullies ganging up on somebody they don't like.

Some of the items in the long list of points associated with fake products also apply to legitimate products. Taking one item out of context could apply to lots of things incorrectly.

Magical thinking is not a recognized cognitive bias, it is a term to often used denigrate and insult, as it is here. Which, by the way is against rule #1.

In addition, it's not funny. Bullying is never funny.

Max, but you are used to listening to some pretty mediocre stuff yourself, judging from your posts. Car radio's and Aldi receivers is what I remember. So why should this be a problem now?
The only Aldi item in my house would be a can of organic baked beans, I think you mean Onkyo Integra receiver that I have mentioned.
The car radio mention was a particular case, I have also described experiments involving a tractor enclosed cab (car) audio system.
Up until relatively recently my usual staple listening was a pair of Behringer B2031 actives, with some tweaking, very nicely clean, clear and revealing and without embellishment.

But I love your thesis that listening to distorted and noisy music renders you partially deaf, although it is not quite new. It's what my mother told me when I put on Van der Graaf Generator or similar stuff.
Van der Graaf Generator is totally lame in comparison to Scotts top 40.
It doesn't take much system dirt to render the likes of Scott's 'industrial' music as a sorry ear bleeding cacophony....ie feed a slightly dirt prone system the likes of this music which is full of harmonic and intermod distortions and you get a wall of discordant sounds.

The ear is not particularly sensitive to lower order harmonic distortions, but the ear is highly sensitive to musically discordant intermodulation products and higher order harmonic distortion products ie unnatural sounds.
The ear responds with self protection by means of middle ear muscle clamp down, reducing amplitude and bandwidth transmission to the inner ear, iow information loss.

Dan.

Max, Regarding Scott and his system, it may have more to do with how he hears than anything else. Most people do not hear very small distortions. There is some kind of a statistical distribution and most people probably are somewhere around the middle of it. That being the case, we probably don't have to look too much for other explanations as to why he doesn't hear what you do.

Also, you may recall the bias of naive realism, the tendency for humans to believe they perceive reality as it actually is. Most of the people here don't hear the same way you do. To them and to you, each person's experience feels real. If something is not experienced, it's hard to believe it could be there. If something is experienced, its hard to believe others don't experience the same thing. But, human perceptions are not like they seem. They are highly processed and filtered by System 1 processes, and not a highly accurate portrayal of reality. Naive realism (psychology - Wikipedia)

Last edited:
Up until relatively recently my usual staple listening was a pair of Behringer B2031 actives, with some tweaking, very nicely clean, clear and revealing and without embellishment.

That is a pretty good speaker, certainly considering its price. Within its paradigm not much wrong with it. Can remember a report from a shootout against Linkwitz open baffles on this site, where the Behringer was preferred.

I'm just laughing at the idea that anyone seriously thinks Scott spends every evening listening to noise music and this should be used to discredit his findings with a snake oil product.

Okay. But, I think the word discredit may be a little strong. Dan was more likely trying to puzzle out why Scott doesn't hear what Dan hears. Dan's explanatory theory about speakers and music choices is probably wrong, of course, but he didn't know that when he thought it up.

Regarding the Bybees as snake oil, maybe they can have some subtle effect in some limited cases, cases other than those Scott tested. What is snake oil about them primarily seems to be the advertising, which goes further than puffery and fluff. It appears to be blatantly dishonest, IMHO. But, that aside I don't think JC or Dan have any control over the advertising and neither makes any money from the devices. Both feel they do something under some circumstances and they say so. It's still possible they are right. In particular we haven't taken any measurements to test JC's claims of subtle effects when closely coupled.

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Well Dan hasn't tried the magic block as far as I can tell.

What Scott dissected was this Bybee Technologies | Treatment for Rooms, Power and Components

The Bybee – Quantum Signal Enhancer by Bybee Technologies will transform any audio or video component and audio system to a higher level of performance with quantum proton alignment. This product may very well be the most economical and effective system/room treatment device on the market.

How it Works: The QSE affects the polarity of all electrons and protons within it’s magnetic field, affecting their oscillation by making them more aligned with each other. This reaction creates an affect the makes the transfer or sharing of electrons more streamline and efficient. The results are a stunningly enhanced purity and energy of the signal. This device, when placed under/over components, speaker wire, interconnects and power cords reduces noise and hash to dramatically improve the components’, and speakers’ efficiency. The results are improved resolution, soundstage, dynamics, and overall musicality. The QSE works even with heavily shielded audio cables designed to withstand RFI/EMF noise from the electrical grid.

Last edited:
Scott, please do not be offended by my references to you in the third person.

No problem, remember I never listen to any music at high SPL and if you can claim listening to AC/DC so loud the kids come over from across the way carefully hones ones perceptions fine with me.

If you will go back you will see that my main thrust was the claim that it will "dramatically" improve the image on ANY monitor. It didn't. The claims are very specific and stated in writing with each device.

Has anyone tried these ?

BYBEE – ACTIVE ROOM NEUTRALIZERS (Crystal)

Introduced to the Bybee product line in 2017, these Active Room Neutralizers are a compliment to owners of the passive Room Neutralizers; or they can be tried on their own with great results. Each ARN is engineered withARNs Bybee proprietary Crystal Technology and have a 2-prong US plug attached to 10 feet of cord. They can be plugged into any electrical outlet. EU users can use a plug adapter on the units without problems, as the units do not draw a current. They are designed to activate the internal Crystal Technology with energy rather than current, thus creating both an electric and magnetic field. When activated the units effect the air molecules in the room, rendering them compliant to sound waves. The results are astounding, with improved resolution, sound stage and overall musicality. Listening room issues prior to installation of the ARNs are nearly obsolete. Recommended placement of 2 ARNs is 4′ – 5′ from ground directly behind speakers. They can be hidden behind curtains, artwork, furniture, etc, without effecting their performance. Each listening room and system is unique, therefore users should experiment with placements to discover best positioning of the ARNs. Each position change of the ARNs produces changes to sound.

I was surprised by the statement that as they draw no power, they can be plugged into a european socket using an adapter.

Surely, if they draw no power, they cannot be considered as 'active'.

Secondly, surely a device promising such claims should have decent cable and plug as standard and not be plugged in using an adapter?

Attachments

• ARNs-300x263.jpg
    ARNs-300x263.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:
Some of what has been said in the last few posts is not entirely rational or logical. It's more like a bunch of junior high school bullies ganging up on somebody they don't like.

Some of the items in the long list of points associated with fake products also apply to legitimate products. Taking one item out of context could apply to lots of things incorrectly.

Magical thinking is not a recognized cognitive bias, it is a term to often used denigrate and insult, as it is here. Which, by the way is against rule #1.

In addition, it's not funny. Bullying is never funny.
Thank you Mark for saying what needs to be said, and so eloquently.

I have for the past seven weeks at work been the subject of escalating bullying in a number of public (and sly) forms from a 25yo wet behind the ears, know it all, blowhard dumbass sociopath, and no it is not funny.

My walkaway, say nothing, give no fuel to his inner fire, peace loving hippy response has been interpreted as weakness, and to be exploited.
Little does he realise that now brought to mere microns below the surface is a fire breathing viking, loaded, cocked, safety off and murderous.

Tomorrow will be an interesting lunch out with one of middle management where all of his actions, exaggerations and outright lies will be laid bare....by late tomorrow afternoon I expect he will be calling me Sir or he is out the door, my demand, his choice and either way a life lesson.

I have been the subject of derision and bullying on this forum as expressed by Mark, in particular most recently by those who have essentially no idea of what I am exploring.
I have expressed some seemingly far out observations, and I have also stated that all of these observations are confirmed by others and this is true.

To put all of you into the picture, I am distilling knowledge/experience from a wide variety of fields and for the the long term benefit of all, and this means me and you, my sons and your sons.
This has been a lifetime study actually, aided by keen observation, serendipity and counter intuitively some very bad experiences.

We are all bathing in and affected and effected by fields and radiations from space, from the earth, and man made.
These fields and radiations are anything but static, and convey subtle energies and modulations physiologically beneficial, neutral or deleterious.
My endeavours are in rendering man made radiations subtle modulations to be neutral, which I find to be optimal long term.
I can further cause subtle modulations of radiations to be distinctly disturbing if not toxic, and also the converse.

There are direct and immediate applications of this understanding in the likes of audio, video, lighting and electric power reticulation, and a thousand others.
When it is time all will be revealed to all and for all, in the meantime I am still seeking deep physics explanation be it quantum or otherwise for what is extension of observation traceable back to the ancients.

Patent and licence an effect of physics ?....why not, and indeed necessary to propagate and also to prevent deliberate or ignorant misapplication of my methodology.
Perhaps into the future I will be lauded for my efforts, in the meantime I get to enjoy audio and video pleasingly different to what is the current normal.

There is much more to say, but that is sufficient for now.

Dan.

It is, in turn, on JC to prove the validity of his claims.

It would be nice if he did take some measurements that show some change with and without the devices. But, nobody here is obligated to prove they heard this or that, whatever it might be. Even if he did take some measurements, some people might question if they were accurate. Also, many people here are not equipped to take low level distortion measurements, although JC might be able to.

Presumably, if measurements showed Bybees doing anything, it would probably just amount to added distortion. Whether the distortion sounds good or bad would would be next question.

There is always THIS. Crystal Formula Power Cables that start at $16,000/m. I can't stop watching & laughing at this.

Yes. Some of what goes on is about at the same level as a Nigerian scam, IMHO. Unfortunately, there are not a lot of complaints from audiophiles that they were duped, so it's hard motivate LE to prosecute false advertisers and other frauds, again in my opinion. Also, the overall harm to society caused by the sale of snake oil products is apparently not deemed sufficient to warrant action. For the most part children aren't going hungry because dad spent his paycheck on new cables, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.