Funniest snake oil theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe it's worth revisiting that idea and thinking about where crossover points hurt what you are after the least and then pick or construct drivers accordingly.

This is just a personal preference and anecdotal but I have good experiences doing things like using a 10" mid driver that starts rolling off gently at 5k and giving it a 6dB low pass that turns into a 12dB combined with that rolloff.

Currently I am focusing on 6.5” rolling off at 10KHz while being well behaved up to 8KHz. This seems best for smaller rooms. The reason also being that I have experienced good organ low frequency experience in a small room with this size. This sort of brings higher SPL at the lower frequencies than the three inch I have now which does quite impressive work from 40Hz to 20Khz in a small room while taking advantage of being against a wall. But after listing over time, extending lower and higher SPL seems desirable. So I am learning from smaller systems and gradually expanding.

Currently I am focusing on 6.5” rolling off at 10KHz while being well behaved up to 8KHz. This seems best for smaller rooms. The reason also being that I have experienced good organ low frequency experience in a small room with this size.

Hm, to each their own. I have never heard a direct radiator smaller than 10" that I could live with. Too much colouration and a sense of sound getting "squeezed out of the speakers" for lack of a better idea of how to describe something subjective.

Could be. The perception of getting squeezed out generally can be from lack of low frequency, and there are trade offs. For serious low frequency, I would go for at least two 12” drivers. But I guess I have to go step by step to get a better feeling. There are also other factors that can effect liveliness as well which I am also exploring. Basically I am suspecting the effects of compliance and BL linearity.

Apple has nothing to do with MQA AFAIK it's the philosophy of parting (fleecing) folks from their money that they have pioneered. If you don't share my view of Apple as Satan fair enough we will all move on in any case.

Apple was Satan FIRST (version 6.0 of course, new packaging). Import distinction. They had the foresight to see that the way of Satan was the way of the future.

Now everyone else is either jealous / attempting to mimic or extremely wary of procreating

Side question: anyone else notice that when the new iPhones get released all of a sudden your old one starts choking?

An inherent problem of almost all speakers with horns or large waveguides is that the center to center distance between the drivers is too large. This shows up in the vertical polar and in the power response. Also the M2 appears to suffer from it, judging from the power response information provided by Harman.

The result is a very narrow vertical listening window (on top of the rather constrained horizontal listening window). This is acknowledged by JBL in its M2 brochure.

This topology is thus far removed from being a point source, so I can understand where Soongsc is coming from with his remarks about imaging.

Are you aware of (or have you heard) Danley Unity or Synergy horns? All center-centers within 1/4 wavelength, and polars to die for. Not made for the hifi market though (the company prefers to cater to a more sane market).

Hi Bwaslo, I am well aware of the Synergy horn, but my only listening experience unfortunately was on YouTube, where they picked up the sound of a Unity horn with a microphone from perhaps 50 yards away, and it sounded impressively clear.

I completely dig the theory behind it too. However, they are not horns in the true sense of the word; directivity and impedance transformation end much higher than the lowest frequencies the beast produces. But saying so is semantic and pedantic.

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
I recently upgraded my ipad 3 from 6.0 ios to the latest and I didn't notice any detrimental battery life reduction. Then again the battery is huge in these things but its still the original battery so its doing pretty good considering. (I bought it in 2012)

And yes I was disappointed that I wasn't getting 4G: iPad (3rd generation) - Wikipedia

Criticism followed the news that in markets outside the US, the tablet cannot communicate with LTE due to its use of 700 MHz and 700/2,100 MHz frequencies, respectively, versus 800 MHz, 1.8 GHz and 2.6 GHz used elsewhere.[77][78] Soon after the launch, the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) took Apple to court for breaking four provisions of Australian consumer law. They alleged that Apple's promotion of the tablet in Australia as the 'iPad Wi-Fi + 4G' misled customers, as the name indicates that it would work on Australia's then-current 4G network.[79][80] Apple responded to this by offering a full refund to all customers in Australia who purchased the Wi-Fi + Cellular model (when it was previously named "Wi-Fi + 4G") of the iPad.[10]

I think the poster is just experiencing battery life degradation, after 1 year the battery in any phone will start to reduce in capacity.

I'm not standing up for apple here, I think they make hideous cheap nasty products which are crippled just to be nasty and cheap. No microsd slot? COME ON! I also think its ridiculously stupid to have to load up itunes just to transfer a pdf.

For the DRM and disappearing features in their software I think Apple is a cancer and plague on the earth and must be wiped out and I'm a fan of Louis Rossman on Youtube so I also know that their hardware is rubbish too.

I own an android phone and when the ipad 3 finally becomes useless I'll replace that with an android tablet too.

But even then I still think the poster is experiencing lithium ion battery ageing and considering its an apple product without a user replaceable battery you are out of luck!

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
FWIW, I have heard the entire Danley line more than once, and the SH50 alone in a separate demo. Don Keele had his CBTat the same demo. I think the SH50 would make a killer Hi-Fi speaker, in a large room. I was trying to get a home demo at one point, to compare them to my Altec A5 system, but it didn't happen.

The Altec A5 with its large multicell horn and short horn loaded 15" woofer does not suffer the problems that Vacuphile claims for most horn systems. Perhaps the similar size and shape of the 2 horn mouths helps.

For the DRM and disappearing features in their software I think Apple is a cancer and plague on the earth and must be wiped out and I'm a fan of Louis Rossman on Youtube so I also know that their hardware is rubbish too.

The DRM on itunes is only there because the record companies insisted on it. Without it there would be no itunes.

No idea about disappearing software features since the Apple software I use is 12 years old. Hardware wise I've been bought a Mac G3 in '95 which was stolen in 2006 at which point my insurance replaced it with a Mac mini tower (intel) and I've been using that ever since. Between them in daily usage one hard drive failed.

FWIW, I have heard the entire Danley line more than once, and the SH50 alone in a separate demo. Don Keele had his CBTat the same demo. I think the SH50 would make a killer Hi-Fi speaker, in a large room. I was trying to get a home demo at one point, to compare them to my Altec A5 system, but it didn't happen.

The Altec A5 with its large multicell horn and short horn loaded 15" woofer does not suffer the problems that Vacuphile claims for most horn systems. Perhaps the similar size and shape of the 2 horn mouths helps.

Altec made some brilliant speakers. The A5 crosses over pretty low, so that helps a lot.

Last edited:
This is scarily like useful discussion! I must admit looking at some of the synergy designs I wonder where for domestic use the point of diminishing returns comes. Bill probably knows this better than most having done 2 and 3 way synergy-likes.

I may be finding that point of diminishing returns in a few months. Decided I'm gonna make some 50" x 30" synergy (Unity, really) horns, not because I have room for them (I don't) but just because I want to build them. Size limited by what can go through the door to the basement. So far, the largest one I've done does sound a bit better than the smaller ones. But it also looks a lot nicer, and I'm sure that affects how it sounds!

...However, they are not horns in the true sense of the word; directivity and impedance transformation end much higher than the lowest frequencies the beast produces. But saying so is semantic and pedantic.

Don't most bass horns operate below their lowest directivity and transformation limits? And directivity becomes kind of meaninless in a room when you get down to where the wavelengths more than the dimensions of the room.

Pyramid Power, whee!

Back in the '70s I had a buddy who built a big one out of PVC pipe, right smack in the middle of the living room of his "Party Central" rental house. I remember some of the female visitors were intrigued, sitting cross-legged on the floor beneath it. Good times... :hypno2::cool::hypno2: Even Edgar Winter was singing about "Pyramid secrets that we're just now learnin'..."

Edgar Winter's White Trash: "Puttin' It Back"

Last edited:
Pyramid Power, whee!

Back in the '70s I had a buddy who built a big one out of PVC pipe, right smack in the middle of the living room of his "Party Central" rental house. I remember some of the female visitors were intrigued, sitting cross-legged on the floor beneath it. Good times... :hypno2::cool::hypno2: Even Edgar Winter was singing about "Pyramid secrets that we're just now learnin'..."

Edgar Winter's White Trash: "Puttin' It Back"

Cool. Did it enhance the female visitors? Pyramid power was hugely popular, back in the day.
Credited with improving seed germination, prolonging battery life, and sharpening razor blades.

Status
Not open for further replies.