Funniest snake oil theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined 2014
Paid Member
For the DIY'er they don't have to be a fact of life though. I'm going to be free of them in a year (only MC preamp left). And the only unbalanced input will be the headphone amp.

For me it's a simple set of tradeoffs that I want to experiment with. I don't expect any veils to be lifted though :)

For the DIY'er they don't have to be a fact of life though. I'm going to be free of them in a year (only MC preamp left). And the only unbalanced input will be the headphone amp.

For me it's a simple set of tradeoffs that I want to experiment with. I don't expect any veils to be lifted though :)

Right now my phono is going through some repurposed headphone 3.5mm minijacks, I'm using a stereo pair for each channel for balanced input. $2.99@ but they are gold plated. Of course ALL the veils are lifted.

I mentioned thah I made a Stax phone with integrated DAC. He screamed, "you are a fool? All audio systems need a cable to tune in!"
OUCH

It is a remarkable coincidence that the things that are often deemed the most critical in audio are those that a non-technical consumer can (usually) replace and swap around without starting a fire. Everyone gets to be a guru system tuning expert!

Right now my phono is going through some repurposed headphone 3.5mm minijacks, I'm using a stereo pair for each channel for balanced input. $2.99@ but they are gold plated. Of course ALL the veils are lifted.

Not fair, I know you have them suspended on those $5,000/pc. myrtle blocks.

Attachments

• myrtle.jpg
    myrtle.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
I'm mostly saying that internal wiring directions need to be the same for both channels.
Stereo 'symmetrical' pcb layout as practiced in many items is a mistake.

Dan.

Evidence? Even a theory that would be recognized as such by a normal person of average intelligence and education? I suppose your justification for this statement is more of your "experiments" which fail to meet even the broadest definition of that word, and which could only be published in the Journal of Irreproducible Results.

Max Headroom said:
Stereo 'symmetrical' pcb layout as practiced in many items is a mistake.
Yes. It would be OK if you could purchase 'mirror image' semiconductors so that the whole circuit layout was simple a reflection of the other channel. As you cannot do this, the only way to get two identical channels is to build two identical channels. This at least ensures the same stray capacitance etc. on both sides. In many cases it won't make any signficant difference, but as it should be fairly easy to do it seems sensible to do it.

I normally stay out of these sort of discussions but I feel the skeptics here have missed a possibility.
Onnes' research into unexpected deviations from normal conductivity lead to his Nobel Prize.
Josephson predicted even more obscure and tiny deviations from expected conductivity and scored a Nobel too.
Now any unknown physical effect that is sufficient to product audible effects but has somehow been unnoticed in over a hundred years of research into conductivity must be a Nobel for sure!
So if any of the proponents of cable directivity would like to provide some evidence that meets the usual standards of science then I will be happy to finish off the research and split the $1,000,000 prize money.
What the hell, I always wanted a Nobel, you can have ALL the money.
It's an easy $Million if what you say is true, I just need a few clues for a research proposal.

Best wishes
David

Last edited:
To stick with a scientific approach: let's say there is an audible difference in cable direction for some people in some systems. If we rule out the possibility of that sensation to be a change in the listener, psychological or physiological, what possibilities are there for a change in circuit behaviour?
So far we had oxidation of the plug and socket that gets scratched off when changing direction. What else can we think of?

I normally stay out of these sort of discussions but I feel the skeptics here have missed a possibility.
Onnes' research into unexpected deviations from normal conductivity lead to his Nobel Prize.
Josephson predicted even more obscure and tiny deviations from expected conductivity and scored a Nobel too.
Now any unknown physical effect that is sufficient to product audible effects but has somehow been unnoticed in over a hundred years of research into conductivity must be a Nobel for sure!
So if any of the proponents of cable directivity would like to provide some evidence that meets the usual standards of science then I will be happy to finish off the research and split the $1,000,000 prize money.
What the hell, I always wanted a Nobel, you can have ALL the money.
It's an easy $Million if what you say is true, I just need a few clues for a research proposal.

Best wishes
David
Hello David.
Ok, I have a wide ranging and interesting bunch of observations that do not completely accord with conventional theory as I and others understand it, and not all of which I am willing to divulge to the 'pitchfork wielding villagers' present here.

So, the deal is (and not unlike Bybee/BQP) I have a particular mix of compounds that reliably and consistently changes the fine properties of electrical, electronic, optical, magnetic and mechanical systems through (close or contact) proximity effect, IOW the mix does not need to be 'in circuit' in the cases of electrical and electronic systems.

The form factor can be exactly like standard removable split core cable filters except that the magnetic ferrite blocks are replaced with an identical moulding of said non magnetic mixture, or moulded to any other custom shape for existing system retrofit or inclusion in OEM production.
Other custom shapes includes sheet form, pottting componds, cable dielectrics and sheathings, sprayable coatings and more.

The system fine factors that are changed are to do with noise, and includes
system noise level, system noise spectrum and system noise dynamic behaviors and consequential system dynamic behaviors.

These fine factor changes are robust enough to perfectly pass blind testing protocols, and with universal preference indicated.

The point is that it is perfectly possible to alter the behavior of systems at a distance, the question is why.

Dan.

Last edited:
Some plugs (or poss the socket) seem to have a coating on then them.
I've had plugs that I ave plugged in and they make poor contact,
I would take a piece of emery-cloth wrap it around the pin and twist
then plug it in an out a couple of time and the issue was fixed.

Other issues could be:

The Plug not seated well
(I had the happen recently, I was moving stuff around and one Chanel came a bit loose).

Poor Solder connection
A strand of wire making a short (or semi short)

From what I would deem as proper trouble shooting (I do this kind of stuff for a living)

One should start with the simple things First:
Is it plugged in?
Are the connections secure in their sockets?
Etc

Recently I experienced a intermittent connectivity issue at work.
The cure was to simple unplug the connection and plug it back in.
(That's a very common fix for a number of connectivity issues)

It basically refreshes the connection ensuring it's seated and the friction
scrapes off some of the oxidation so it makes a better connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.