Funniest snake oil theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dowsing explained
Bill, try learning dowsing, or at least spend some time with an experienced dowser.
Even better if you can find a map dowser.
There's nothing majical about it, just a case of shutting out thoughts and opening your senses.....rods/sticks etc are just indicators and are not required.
Try going near to or holding a piece of uranium ore....once you understand the 'vibe' of such radioactive stuff you won't forget it.

Dan.

How microphonic?, at what levels does vibration have an effect?
Automotive, military, aerospace kit all undergoes vibration testing, from what I have seen for domestic electronics I would hope that the vibration levels kit endures to be mild, and as long as resonances don't build up it shouldn't be a problem. Record decks are mechanical so different rules apply so need to be isolated from all external forces where possible.

Forgot about tubes after reading further, got a tube mono-blocks and over the years they have been mounted on a variety of surfaces from a proper Hi-Fi rack, paving slabs, Argos chipboard TV stand to the floor, now I think about it I have never really noticed any difference, my problem is enjoying the music and singing along! stops me from hearing my system most of the time...

:tongue: I sometimes have that same problem (drowning out my system)!

As for microphonics, though, it's not so simple. Try a 3S4 line stage ala the Bottlehead Quickie. Very nice sound but if I put my hands close to the tubes they start ringing.

Dowsing explained
Bill, try learning dowsing, or at least spend some time with an experienced dowser.
Even better if you can find a map dowser.
There's nothing majical about it, just a case of shutting out thoughts and opening your senses.....rods/sticks etc are just indicators and are not required.
Try going near to or holding a piece of uranium ore....once you understand the 'vibe' of such radioactive stuff you won't forget it.

Dan.

Dan, you're not helping your cause for any sort of authority or legitimacy.

For every positive dowsing story there's a negative one, but of course the negative ones always have an "agenda" and are ignored. We use a piece of pitchblende to test Geiger counters I don't feel its vibe, sorry. Which reminds me time to get mine out and make sure it's working.

One of my Dad's friends was a geologist, and after we built the cabin on a hobby ranch, he finally listened to my 6 year old whining.
"Dad, why is the cabin a 1/4 mile from the creek?"
His geologist pal couldn't find a well location, after half a dozen failed digs.
A retired logger neighbour dropped by, to visit, and asked what all the holes were for.
Within twenty minutes, he found some branch he liked, and dowsed a well location.
We only had to dig down ten feet, and best of all, it was only thirty feet from the cabin.
Random chance? I wouldn't bet on that.
But just because I can't dowse, or understand the process, doesn't mean it doesn't work.
I wish the old guy had lived longer.
He had the coolest stories about life in small towns, and working outdoors.

Last edited:
Electromagnetic sensitively might be part of what we are reacting to.
Some have it, some don't, same as some will never be dowsers.

Dan.

I have long believed that people have very different hearing sensitivities (probably many are better than me in lots of spectra) and that explains why some people can hear differences in systems that I can't. I don't generally hear cable differences (though I once did and much preferred copper to silver...) but a lot of people claim to.

Sensitivity to different spectra might possibly be the explanation if you guys hear something with Bybees, so I try to remain open-minded. But where are the double-blind (or even blind) studies showing a real audible effect? In particular, I'd love to see some people who claim to hear a difference be the subjects of such studies. Perhaps the reason so many blind tests fail to show an effect is that they aren't including the right people (those with the relevant sensitivities).

That said, I'd expect electromagnetic sensitivity in humans would have been identified by now (IIRC it HAS been demonstrated in birds). In fact, the opposite seems to be likely - some studies HAVE been done on general EMF sensitivity in those self-proclaimed hypersensitive individuals (WHO | Electromagnetic fields and public health). Similarly, given the explanations I have heard so far about Bybees (which, other than Dan, hasn't included EMF as a mechanism), it just seems to fail the straight-face test.

I sure hope Dan and John can understand the rational skepticism being presented here. Sure looks like snake oil to me...

The use of dowsers was pretty widespread throughout the farming communities i spent my childhood in , normally to detect underground springs when once located a bore hole was made to provide a convenient ' on site ' supply for the animals without the need to constantly bring water daily.
I seem to remember them being pretty successful and they didn't charge for it although the landowners would ' gift ' them a side of beef etc for their time.

Last edited:
I have long believed that people have very different hearing sensitivities (probably many are better than me in lots of spectra) and that explains why some people can hear differences in systems that I can't. I don't generally hear cable differences (though I once did and much preferred copper to silver...) but a lot of people claim to...................
Of course different people have different sensitivity to different parts of sound, recordings and music. But that sensitivity doesn't cease to function during blind tests.

Dowsers were used to locate places of worship.
In a cathedral in Switzerland I accidentally noticed a very strong 'healing spot' at the end of the central walkway that every worshipper walked over coming into and exiting this church.
I subsequently dowsed two strong lines (ley lines ?) intersecting at this healing spot.

Dan.

Dan, I have had a number of experiences similar to your brick directional effect over the decades. Some of Jack's latest 'bricks' do amazing things, beyond my understanding, in front of several witnesses at a time. Been there, experienced that, but as we know, we get laughed at if we tell certain people about it. Still others, lurking in the background, might learn something new, or to at least trust their ears. '-)

The emperor has no clothes on, dosn't matter how you present this stuff its still scamming people...

Of course different people have different sensitivity to different parts of sound, recordings and music. But that sensitivity doesn't cease to function during blind tests.

It might cease with some blind tests, but not others.

Earl Geddes suggested we would need to develop new tests if we wanted to research the hearing abilities of the top 5% of the population. According to my understanding of Geddes, we have a pretty good understanding of what about 95% of the population can hear, and he thinks we know how to test that 95% pretty well.

My own suspicion is that we started developing new blind tests more optimized for the top 5%, we might find a few surprises relating to people in the other 95%.

However, it would apparently be expensive to find out and so far nobody has come forth to fund more expanded hearing research.

Maybe you ought to look up perception...

It's actually amazing how out mind works. We see and
hear less than we realize and our mind fills in the rest.

I'm a Amateur radio operator and I can listen to a signal and
it can drop into the noise and I can follow it down to barely
perceivable and still make out what they were saying (though with
effort and close listening) because my mind is filling in the gaps.

Conversely, I've heard reports of guys hearing signals that were not there
and they even believed they were communicating with the other station.
Though upon comparing logs the other station wasn't even on the air at that time.

The mind plays games on us

Attachments

• 1BA3BDFA-7594-4C08-9494-55194B684932.JPG
    1BA3BDFA-7594-4C08-9494-55194B684932.JPG
    831.1 KB · Views: 181
  • EBA123F0-B52F-449B-A6F6-0B1ABD4DB268.JPG
    EBA123F0-B52F-449B-A6F6-0B1ABD4DB268.JPG
    840.4 KB · Views: 168
Joined 2016
Paid Member
Conversely, I've heard reports of guys hearing signals that were not there

Exactly.
The brain is effectively a massive correlator, always trying to extract signal from noise. If you listen to noise long enough, you will hear voices - as that is what the brain is trying to do. There are many many records of this from radio operators over the years.
The slightly more interesting aspect is that you can be taught, or learn through practice, to hear this error more frequently. This is the danger in teaching people to hear differences - you can be taught to hear what is not there.

Status
Not open for further replies.