Funniest snake oil theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suppose I could go to my local Home Depot & roll out some 3/8ths cable they have....but soldering the cable onto that relatively small banana plug will be kinda silly. I could use a torch for sure but I'd wind up melting the banana plug into a little puddle of metal....

___________________________________________________Rick.........

"Bargains" dCS Vivaldi digital playback system | Stereophile.com

Didn't even bother reading what Fremer had to say about them but the comment below was the main thing that made me shake my head and laugh.

"Hello Michael, many thanks for the excellent review....highly informative. Would it be possible for you to expand on the differences between the Vivaldi and the MSB Diamond system in terms of rhythm and pace, microdynamics, intrumental timbres and soundstage perspective (is one row 10 and the other row 30 for example). Look forward to hearing your thoughts. Many thanks, Ash"

Belden is still happy to manufacture and sell directional cables to enthusiasts. They make up a long length of cable, cut it in segments, identify the ends of the segments so they know how it came off the spool (length A->B, length B->C, length C->D, etc), and then let the customer identify by careful listening which direction is "better". Over thousands of cables sold, the chosen "best" signal flow is random, for segments cut from the same spool!

OK; now that's funny. I'm sure the "directional" cable costs a premium. A fool & his money, and all that.

Whoa, what a monster of thread I have created!

As it's more than obvious, I don't post here much anymore. And I also don't visit ANY audio-related forum, blog, magazine etc anymore. And what a relief! I feel cleansed.

I'm still subscribed to a newsletter and I don't unsubscribe intentionally, because it's my last thin connection with "audio on the web". I read maybe one of 20 emails. Just the other day I read an article on TOSLink cables. I was amused (note: NOT irritated) by the fact that it was written as if it's a God-given that TOSLink cables are awful. What a joy to press CTRL+W without thinking "what's wrong with these guys?". I don't think anymore about the amount of energy wasted on that stuff. Who knows, maybe one day one of these guys will discover time travel by accident, while experimenting with a new insulation material based on banana peel. It's a strange world, maybe strangeness has a place in it. On a larger scale I guess nothing serious is affected in the great scheme of things.
And why am I telling you all this? LOL I don't know. No reason I guess.

:)

I think (and hope) that meanwhile I have come to accept that I'm simply the type of person who believes that everything has an explanation (many times simple), hearing has clearly defined limits and the Universe is fundamentally causal. Other simply believe the opposite. Any blog, forum etc discussion will change maybe 1% of readers' opinions. Right or wrong, facts or fiction, humans are what they are. I just don't care anymore, I just try to focus on things that suit my natural inclinations. Life is short, I am what I am, there's nothing more to it.
On the quality scale of human activities, for me audio gets a low ranking these days.
This is my confession :)

:)

I think (and hope) that meanwhile I have come to accept that I'm simply the type of person who believes that everything has an explanation (many times simple), hearing has clearly defined limits and the Universe is fundamentally causal. Other simply believe the opposite. Any blog, forum etc discussion will change maybe 1% of readers' opinions. Right or wrong, facts or fiction, humans are what they are. I just don't care anymore, I just try to focus on things that suit my natural inclinations. Life is short, I am what I am, there's nothing more to it.
On the quality scale of human activities, for me audio gets a low ranking these days.
This is my confession :)

I too see this and other forums as just a means for a continuing circle jerk of opinions with little fact presented. People would rather type on the computer than build anything. Have fun doing what you want. I plan on doing the same.

I too see this and other forums as just a means for a continuing circle jerk of opinions with little fact presented. People would rather type on the computer than build anything. Have fun doing what you want. I plan on doing the same.

Sorry things went sour for you. I find plenty of useful (to me) information in these forums: starting points to calculate line level filters, baffle size/ frequency support, saw a zigmahornet? design that I guess adds resonant harmonics to a signal to enhance bass to about 35 hz, baffle step attenuator starting points, others' experiences with same drivers I'm now trying out... And of course I allowed myself to get drawn into some internet hissy fits.
But still, there's plenty here to assist with builds.
Even the name drops are helpful... Heard of Stig Carlsson here first and his designs gave my creative and aesthetic juices a good boost just by trying to understand what he was trying to achieve.
... Anyways, hope things are good for you.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
A regular troll here seems to waste a lot of time simply saying that - over and over and over and over again, not only on this thread but also on others.

Warning people about snake oil claims isn't trolling or wasting time by any means,I see it as a concerned member who wants to put it out there to warn others.Good on yer mate,I'm right with you.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.