Funniest snake oil theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
Snake oil salesmen sold silicone based products of varying sizes to help with cone sag and extension, some of them had to demonstrate the science and explain the risks involved to the courts quite recently. I think they now use a water based gel but it's one area I don't get to explore as often as I used to ;)

Last edited:
Do cones sag?

With age, everything sags :crazy:.

But honestly, I literally have hundreds of drivers, from different makes and eras, and there is aging. For example, surrounds crumble or get flattened when stored the wrong way. But, I can't remember having seen spiders fall apart or become assymetrical. Conceivably it happens, but I haven't seen it. And, since most of the centering forces in a driver come from the spider, I don't think it is a serious problem.

It is something else that all cones sag somewhat when the driver is placed horizontally. The cone has a weight, the suspension has compliance, so it would violate the laws of nature if it didn't.

As wrought out in another thread, yes they do sag...Does that make them un-useable?? Don't know.
I had two identical drivers bought about 2002, Radio Shack 40-1350A, Sub-woofer, DVC, 12".........One I took out of the box & built an experimental enclosure. After a couple weeks of use, I removed it..since the original box was thrown out, it was bandied about, exposed to indoor elements, stored cone up(Horizontal). The second driver remained NIB, stored (vertically).
Comparing & measuring the two, I found the horizontally stored driver had "sagged" appx. 2.5 mm. Quite obvious when the two are put side by side.

____________________________________________________Rick.........

Well I wasn't disappointed :p

http://www.stereophile.com/content/synergistic-research's-hft-and-feq-transform-bose-wave-radio

I am always amazed how easily Jason Serinus can be fooled by the charlatan Ted Denney. No matter how outrageous or stupid a claim Denney makes, Serinus gets drawn in hook, line and sinker.

"Denney demonstrated the cumulative effects of his tiny aluminum passive HFTs (High Frequency Transducers, $299/5 pack), active FEQ (Frequency Equalizer, $750), and Tranquility Bases"

It's a good thing those HFTs are "only" $299 for 5, I mean what an audio bargain.....well they would be IF they did anything that is and the FEQ. Frequency Equalizer (what a catchy name and true only if it DID alter the frequencies. The Tranquility Bases are some voodoo hoodoo snake oil also.
Does he make anything that isn't though?:rolleyes:

What a load of crap. No wonder Serinus is regarded by all serious audio fans as a joke of a reviewer.

So will Stereophile do a serious test of these "new" amazing products? of course not. Have they ever done so in the past with Ted's products? Nope but they sure like to heap praise on his questionable gadgets so you will consider buying his snake oil.

Just read the rest of what Serinous had to say yourselves.If these things are so fantastic( as all of his past products have been described) then why is it that only Denney comes up with these and no one else uses his snake oil like recording studios or live performance revenues? Perhaps I should give Ted the benefit of the doubt, he could be an audio genius I suppose.........nahhhhhh he's a genius at marketing to the gullible, that is all.

Oh and keep in mind that although he didn't mention this in print I can promise you that Denney turned off the music each time he removed one of his wonder gadgets, then turned it back on. That's a well known tactic he has used in the past when giving his demos. What else he may have added to the presentation is of course known only to Denney but it sure wasn't anything BUT snake oil.

Last edited:
One wonders why anyone ever purchases Stereophile in the first place... I used to occasionally, back when it was a small format every other month or so with J Gordon... to read about things like the Infinity Servo Statik I, etc. that I couldn't afford back then.

Even then, I knew most of what they published was BS. I could easily afford anything they talk about, now that I'm retired independently wealthy, but why would I want any of it???

reminds me of all the mediums of past and future who are SO good they can't even predict their own demise... :)

John L.

In reality, I am not sure any of the boutique reviews are much worse that the purely technical reviews on audio sometimes done by Consumers Union. They do everything BUT listen. These are the same folks who claimed the Checker Marathon was the best automotive value for years and claimed front wheel drive was unsafe because they did not know how to drive.

The best service they can provide is to let us know what is out there, what features it has, and if we can afford it. It would be nice to confirm published specifications where applicable. For consumer low-fi, that is enough. For us, we have to listen ourselves anyway. I won't take someone's word for something that costs much more than $10.

In reality, I am not sure any of the boutique reviews are much worse that the purely technical reviews on audio sometimes done by Consumers Union. .

I am not familiar with how they test but if they are at least making an effort to get some valid numbers down on paper then they ARE much better then the boutique reviewers who give us pretty much nothing. Reading how these boutique reviewers go about "listening" can be cringe worthy. If I wanted to find the most gullible person to sell my snake oil to, then it would be to some of those reviewers who act like they don't have a clue (then again maybe it's not acting;))

With his modus operandi, how surprising.

At least from reading the comments below Mr Serinus' "review", it appears that no one is buying into the snake oil Mr Denney is pedaling this go around. :D

He needs to sail back to China and find himself another "winner" like those Acoustic Art bowls he tried to hawk online in the forums a few years back. Talk about pure :crazy:

Oh look who thinks anyone that doesn't like Ted Denney's snake oil is just being a troll :rolleyes:

"An unexpected benefit of Stereophile's reporting on Ted Denney's products at shows is that it attracts all the trolls to one place so they don't contaminate the rest of our show coverage :)
John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile"

Well that's not a surprise coming from the head of that rag.:p

I like the measurements in stereophile and the occasional verbal gymnastics to smooth over horrific results.

Complete edutainment for the discerning nerd.

100% agreed. The dance at the end is immensely entertaining, and the measurements are often quite useful and usually well-performed. I do wish they'd do PowerCube measurements on power amps, though.

I wonder if anyone has ever considered the color of the magic smoke they put inside all the different components and wires in a system?

Maybe that's what causes all the different "colorations" observed by the subjectivist camp, eh?? :)

Be difficult to test in a non destructive manner, tho...

John L.

Status
Not open for further replies.