Funniest snake oil theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
what assumption?

what idea?

what do you know about reality?

what are you on about?

short term memory loss? or denial?

couldnt help what? you have as yet supplied nothing, not even a theory, so yes 'improving' something above 'not suitable for anything at all' doesnt really seem much of a discovery.

either your measurement system, or base level crappier than thou performance are masking everything and you are being all illusive about its magical performances/attributes, despite not having a shred of evidence.

so yes; to me, banging your head against a brick wall seems a fair use of your time by comparison.

Last edited:
I don't like music,

I just listen to the HIFI...:D

Dither..

Shall I use polypropylene or paper in sugar water?
Will a piece of fools gold glued to a PCB absorb RFI???
Ahhh but if it has a diamond stylus..will it sound better than a sapphire :D
Hang on we can reflect for a moment...it must be the sap in the wood..
I'll give it a shake...it will sound better...

Regards
M. Gregg
wait for graphene membranes ! :joker:

John, both analogue stages and clocking is pretty well sorted, or do you insist that better than 200-500fs at 1-10ppm long term stability is not stable enough for audio, when the wow and flutter (analogue equivalent of close in phase noise) of even the best turntables is orders of magnitude higher?

You have it backwards, the world needs a study on adding the right spectra of frequency wander to more closely mimic the LP experience.

3. Computers were widely used for decades before PCs, including high quality graphics.
amiga comes to mind:)

5. Other electronic systems were used very successfuly to do jobs which nowadays we do on a PC.
i remember quite well philips hifi stereos where it could burn a cd-r-w
a bit expensive job back few fears, even on pc

today nobody burns cd´s..almost :eek:

its cool John, its not my actual name so I dont find it offensive. We have covered it before a few times in your thread though ... You arent the only one who does it, but it is strange what the brain does. lots of people see another invisible vowel there and like you, make up another 'name' that also doesnt have an English meaning.

there are far more complex usernames on here, i'm just missing an invisible vowel; but it really seems to mess with people's heads ;)

Last edited:
admc007 said:
I haven't invented any theory, and even if I had, it's merely a theory!

I thought scientists didn't venerate Gods, but maybe they make an exception for Einstein.
OK, I take it you don't actually understand what a theory is.

Saying that Einstein is a genius is not veneration. I could have used other names (e.g. Feynman, Dirac), but non-scientists have probably heard of Einstein.

Now one or two have basically jumped at the chance to accuse me of snake oil theory! So well done there!
No. I said it might be snake oil. I said it might be a brilliant theory. It can't be both. However, you have told us that it is not a theory so you have invented something but you have no idea how it works. We can't say much more than expressing doubt because you have not told us enough.

You have made two claims:
1. small speedup in a CPU - probably within the bounds of experimental error
2. small reduction in 'distortion' - but both before and after figures look wrong.
We have no reason to assume that either are well-founded.

No. I said it might be snake oil. I said it might be a brilliant theory. It can't be both.

Oh but maybe it can!

images1_zps1938e168.jpg

It's a Floorwax AND a Dessert topping!!

admc007, as I said earlier, adding anything such as you show to a digital line in going to change the lines characteristic impedance and create some discontinuity with its return path. At the high speeds the memory interfaces work both for the PC and the graphics memory, adding anything to the board can upset things. PC and graphics card layout is critical, as is impedance control is critical.
Without any explanation of the circuitry you have created, just claims how can we comment in a more refined fashion. I would also be curious how you determine your graphic card runs 4x faster.
I would hazard a guess that your device is some sort of filter, either using a ferrite bead or an inductor and some capacitance, and maybe a resistive element of some sort, that is placed in the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.