Funniest snake oil theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
soongsc said:
If you just consider the transformer, the rectifier, and the filtering caps, I wonder what other design options you have? Perhaps you have a specific reference design which you consider not so sensitive?
It does not need a "reference design" to avoid basic errors. Just avoid 'audiophile design', because some of that is not sufficiently well-informed by physics.

scottjoplin said:
Does it matter if the current drawn from the mains varies with the signal?
Only if you have a peculiar 'audiophile' mains cable. Some of these have rather thin conductors.

Max Headroom said:
The final power cord from the source power (wall socket/power strip) will have variable LCR values (and other parasitic values) according to materials and construction....it is to be expected that these values will interact with the primary circuit, and through reflection the secondary circuit and according to reactivity/damping of both these two circuits.
Any non ideal cable will vary the instantaneous voltage, current and phase values according to changing current demand for a non resistive load.
All these reactive load parameters will set up excitations that may pass audibly through to the speakers.
If you are saying that cables have impedances then this is not news. They are small compared to the impedances in the transformer and the PSU. You are creating FUD.

I am quite curious about the transformer impedance, what kind of specs to you actually look at that manufacturers provide? Or is this a guess-buy miss thing?
Same as every transformer, it has a winding ratio that, in case of a mains transformer, can be calculated from the given primary/secondary voltage. The winding ratio then lets you calculate the reflected impedances.
Further info like winding DCR and inductance is provided by serious manufacturers when you give them a call.

I found this gem on Facebook...

Holographic realism? Really?

The included Q&A is quite good:

Frequently asked questions.

Q: Are fuses directional?
A: Yes, fuses are directional. Electricity should flow from the left to the right when you view the fuse. If you do not know
the direction of flow you should listen to the fuse inserted in both directions. One direction will sound more detailed. This
is the correct way.
Q: Do fuses have a burn in period?
A: Yes, most products have a settling in period. The first 200-300 hours of use are the most crucial.

It does not need a "reference design" to avoid basic errors. Just avoid 'audiophile design', because some of that is not sufficiently well-informed by physics.
So just what is 'audiophile design' compared to standard PSU design ?.
IME, 'standard' designs from the mainstream manufacturers can exhibit audible changes according to AC cable.

Only if you have a peculiar 'audiophile' mains cable. Some of these have rather thin conductors.
So which of these 'audiophile' cables in particular have 'rather thin conductors.'....makes and models please, proofs instead of generalisations and hand waving.

If you are saying that cables have impedances then this is not news. They are small compared to the impedances in the transformer and the PSU. You are creating FUD.
Agreed that at 50/60Hz power cable impedances are low, but what about at RF ?.

Dan.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
The man who never has any evidence beyond anecdote asks of evidence. That's a bit rich ? I assume you have full measurements from your audible changes swapping ac cables?

As for RF, there are many documented and engineered methods for dealing with that in a design. I've not seen a book on EMC show pics of flooby audio power cables. Std 3 core mains cable has the conductors close together and twisted. Does the job nicely. Nothing more advanced needed and you can concentrate on the important stuff like loop areas and cable dressing.

Same as every transformer, it has a winding ratio that, in case of a mains transformer, can be calculated from the given primary/secondary voltage. The winding ratio then lets you calculate the reflected impedances.
Further info like winding DCR and inductance is provided by serious manufacturers when you give them a call.

Does not make sense, once you have a fixed voltage ratio, the winding ratio should be fixed regardless where you source a transformer.
DCR and inductance are an issue, but normal DIYers do not have this info. Lots of transformers can be sourced from different suppliers. Even speaker drivers specs are “subject to change without notice”.

The man who never has any evidence beyond anecdote asks of evidence. That's a bit rich ? I assume you have full measurements from your audible changes swapping ac cables?
As for RF, there are many documented and engineered methods for dealing with that in a design.
Please keep your judgments to yourself Bill, goes against the spirit of the forum.
The point of the question of cable makes/models is to research reviews and see what is said about such cables.

Take a look inside old 'mid-fi' gear and you will find scant EMC filtering, just a standard Tx/Rect/Caps PSU.
Modern gear may have 'proper' filtering, but these designs still exhibit 'AC power source' sensitivity.

When you have done the experimenting and auditioning of the range of gear and designs that the likes of JC, RNM and others have done, through practice and trusting one's ears you will recognise these kinds of 'minor' changes.

I've not seen a book on EMC show pics of flooby audio power cables. Std 3 core mains cable has the conductors close together and twisted. Does the job nicely. Nothing more advanced needed and you can concentrate on the important stuff like loop areas and cable dressing.
I'm not arguing about validity of standard 3 wire power cables.
However, I do note that such 'standard' cables can sound different.

One case in point, my neighbour and I were experimenting with his Fender tube guitar combo amp.
The amp was powered from an old 'grey' 5m 10A extension lead.
I swapped the cable for a modern 'white' 5m 10A extension lead and the sound changed quite markedly such that my neighbour exclaimed..."I had no idea that a power cable could make that much difference !".
One cable sounded quite pleasant, the other downright 'nasty'.
I measured all six conductors with a Fluke 77 and could not find significant differences.

So, these extension cables were standard issue, similar if not same copper weight and cable geometry.....the only real differences are in the wire insulation and cable sheath materials.

Dan.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
The spirit of the forum fully allows me to call out weapons grade bull droppings when I see them. You may have missed my post recently where I pointed out there are a number of things than can be done with real measurable effects that do not require magic cable. You have all this experience but not one actual measurement to back things up. All you have is anecdote to back up your outrageous claims.

So just what is 'audiophile design' compared to standard PSU design ?.
IME, 'standard' designs from the mainstream manufacturers can exhibit audible changes according to AC cable.

sayeth the master of generalisations and hand waving.

So which of these 'audiophile' cables in particular have 'rather thin conductors.'....makes and models please, proofs instead of generalisations and hand waving.

sayeth the master of generalisations and hand waving.

As if you ever had proved anything.
Can't you see how insulting your constant proposals to accept $**** is to
any thinking human? Just based on your not so humble IME, see above?
(if it exists at all and is not just made up for trolling)
The tooth fairy delivers at least some compelling evidence to her audience.

Agreed that at 50/60Hz power cable impedances are low, but what about at RF ?.

There is nothing that could be better than high impedance at RF, but I question
you would ever understand why. I suppose RF chokes are above your
technology expertise.

I've been on a heavy metal festival this week end to provide some pleasure
to a certain teeny. The wording used THERE would be more appropriate here.

I have never seen so many prime Gibson LesPaul and Fenders abused
so much below value. But there were a few exceptions, so the weekend
was not a loss.

Gerhard

Last edited:
The spirit of the forum fully allows me to call out weapons grade bull droppings when I see them. You may have missed my post recently where I pointed out there are a number of things than can be done with real measurable effects that do not require magic cable. You have all this experience but not one actual measurement to back things up. All you have is anecdote to back up your outrageous claims.

So what kind of measurements are you expecting? To what performance levels do you expect such measured data to represent good performance?

Status
Not open for further replies.