Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Funniest snake oil theories
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th February 2018, 09:03 PM   #13901
VenusFly is offline VenusFly  Australia
diyAudio Member

They are molluscs/gastropods. But yes according to wikipedia (where I source all of my information) they are considered to be animals.

Last edited by VenusFly; 13th February 2018 at 09:05 PM.
Old 13th February 2018, 09:07 PM   #13902
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

That's a very sexy looking snail
Old 14th February 2018, 01:37 AM   #13903
nezbleu is offline nezbleu  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by poynton View Post
Are snails not animals ???
Just try talking to one. Indistinguishable from a vegetable.
Old 14th February 2018, 04:20 AM   #13904
MITsound is offline MITsound  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezbleu View Post
Just try talking to one. Indistinguishable from a vegetable.
Maybe you're listening too fast?
Old 14th February 2018, 07:24 AM   #13905
poynton is offline poynton  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I eat vegetables.

I also eat snails.

Old 14th February 2018, 07:34 AM   #13906
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

I hope the snails are dead when you eat them unlike some vegetables
Old 14th February 2018, 08:39 AM   #13907
poynton is offline poynton  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I've never asked them
Old 14th February 2018, 11:05 PM   #13908
billshurv is offline billshurv  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Not your normal snake oil, but amusing how reviewers will park expectations or analysis when faced with 'shiny'. This at least does something, although 'hifi' it ain't.
Apple HomePod review | What Hi-Fi?
Now the horn/waveguide array is very clever as is the monitoring of reflections to get the most out of a pint pot, but the review seems to ignore several things.

Quote:
Wherever you place the speaker, it is constantly analysing the music you play and dynamically tuning the sound, from bass to treble, to deliver the track as intended. Or, at least, as the HomePod thinks itís intended.
So it's a variable tone control over which you have no control.

Quote:
this is an expressive bottom end - which is essential to getting the most out of the deep brass and deep vocal on the track.
. The DSP actively limits excusion and uses some careful pyschoacoustics to make you think you are hearing deep bass. But bass dat shakes da place it ain't!

Quote:
What's more, you donít need to pump up the volume in order to get the HomePod singing.Even at low volumes the core excitement is retained, with more bass weight and punch than rivals can muster when similarly quiet
So you can't defeat the built in loudness controls

Quote:
Even when the HomePod is placed close to a back wall, the sound around the room is pretty consistent right until youíre essentially standing at a right-angle to it. This is our preferred positioning of the speaker, as the reflection of ambient effects on the surface behind creates a slightly bigger, more spacious and more three-dimensional presentation.
It's mono FFS.

I am sure the end effect is pleasant but this is no more something I would have in the house than a cable lifter or bybee.
Old 15th February 2018, 01:36 AM   #13909
spaceistheplace is offline spaceistheplace
diyAudio Member

Default Funniest snake oil theories

Shine can be nice. Of course, performance should be contained within it.

Ideally, Iíd like something that has both. I donít think itís wrong to enjoy something designed to be visually pleasing. I also donít think god-ugly and 300kilos should be a requirement for excellent performance. The Devialet comes to mind as being a welcome exception to this rule, but I havenít heard them myself or looked into them deeply. As someone who appreciates visual and functional art I wish engineers would not sneer so much at efforts to make something attractive (to their demographic, in their own vision).

I think itís a clever solution by Apple and presently the best of its kind alongside google and amazons offerings by a decent margin.

Obviously the armchair fanboys will wax poetic- itís easy to poke holes here but imho itís too easy... a cheap shot. Who in the normal universe wants to listen to an EE review the HomePod in deep technical detail? That would be brutal for 99.9% of the population.

What do you all consider the highest quality small Bluetooth / wireless speaker option for ďaround the houseĒ noncritical, portable listening? Donít say Kiiís with a wireless adapter lol.

I have a Tivoli bedside clock radio which is ok, but I felt the reviews were more than a bit glorified in retrospect.

I wish there were better options.
Old 15th February 2018, 03:13 AM   #13910
MITsound is offline MITsound  Canada
diyAudio Member

I've got my tube amp based system wired as the l/r of a home theatre system, with a refurbished Arcam AVP700 doing decoding.
Lately, its been occasional fun to use it for stereo music, with "music" selected for DSP effects. Someone did some good research for pleasant sounding distortion!
And my old Yamaha Natural Sound integrated was the best I could afford as a 17 year old putting myself through highschool- its variable loudness control was the deal closer for me, and I wish some of my no bells or whistles gear had this feature. So simple and useful.

Funniest snake oil theoriesHide this!Advertise here!