Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Funniest snake oil theories
Funniest snake oil theories
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Today, 10:46 AM   #10851
traderbam is online now traderbam  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
Something I have discovered on this forum is that people can have sufficient understanding of technical terms to hold a false opinion about them, but hopelessly insufficient knowledge to follow and accept a reasoned refutation of that opinion. Being unable to understand the counterargument, they then declare that their false opinion must be true because nobody has successfully convinced them otherwise (thus adding a logical error to their technical confusion).
That is soooo true and is my own recurring experience in this forum.
Old Today, 12:07 PM   #10852
traderbam is online now traderbam  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by traderbam View Post
That is soooo true and is my own recurring experience in this forum.
I just want to qualify that by saying I have experienced only a few people in DIY Audio who behave like this. And I should also add they have a strong, vested interest in their ideas in some way and will sometimes defend them to the point of being absurd. Amateurs don't tend to behave like this.
Old Today, 03:10 PM   #10853
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Some amateurs do, but in my experience dogged persistence in holding a false technical view is a likely flag for commercial interest. What is unclear is why so many people with weak technical skills decide to make money from them, rather than choosing something else where their skills are greater.
Old Today, 04:06 PM   #10854
GoatGuy is offline GoatGuy  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Some amateurs do, but in my experience dogged persistence in holding a false technical view is a likely flag for commercial interest. What is unclear is why so many people with weak technical skills decide to make money from them, rather than choosing something else where their skills are greater.
My own experience is somewhat more frustrating: long term amnesia regarding opinions errant. I might post a competent rebuttal to a mistaken or mis-attributed idea, seeming to clear the air of the malodorous whiff. Then, in a matter of days to months, the same poster(s) are trotting forth the same gassy fish, replete with bow, sparkles and a monkey on a squeezebox.

Maybe this is why this is the SNAKEOIL themed sub-forum. It is the persistence of the oleaginous residue that makes bunkum so darn vexing.

GoatGuy
Old Today, 04:08 PM   #10855
soongsc is offline soongsc  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Perhaps selling anything is a skill.
Old Today, 04:11 PM   #10856
Evenharmonics is offline Evenharmonics  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by soongsc View Post
Perhaps selling anything is a skill.
It doesn't take much to sell to suckers and there is one born every minute.

Funniest snake oil theoriesHide this!Advertise here!