Funniest snake oil theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
some more quantum

You guys seem to have little to do right now. Try this site (has both 'snakes' and 'quantum' devices). For fun read the 'Overview' for each product category.
Some questionable links:
- To start here he's 'quantum tunneling' the air and not the cable since most of the voltage drop...
- Another goodie in cheerful 'quantum pink'

Personally I recommend the Quantum Ground Lifter (only 35$). Last time I checked these cost less than 1$ at surplus stores. (btw, on the unit pictured I see some staple marks on the bottom -some stores use to attach the price tag using this method....maybe?)

Sad part is that this is legit business with "almost credible reviews" :confused: and even a price catalogue.

Can I get him to Quantum tunnel my pole transformer and lines coming into my house along with all associated wiring? If hie does and he Quantum tunnels the ground wire from the pole transformer it will complete the transformation since the transformer isolates me from the rest of the grid.

Sad part is that this is legit business with "almost credible reviews" :confused: and even a price catalogue.

Ugh not THAT company again :rolleyes: you will have noticed that all the "credible reviews" are of the shadier review sites or Jason Serinus of Stereophile fame gushing over how great all their products are so yeah it is questionable or just downright false. That anyone falls for their quantum BS is sad.

Just adding this link as of today Stereophile posted an interview of Ted Denney. Talk about near to useless drivel.:rolleyes: This was posted way back in 1995 too and he's still in business. Go figure, I guess the public will buy anything.

Ted Denney's Excellent Adventure | Stereophile.com

Hmm, I was sceptical until I reached the bit about his book - that's not a title to encourage further reading, in my opinion :D

First rule of advertising: Take your worst attribute and advertise it.
If your quality is terrible, advertise how great it is. ( "Quality is job...")
If your performance is terrible, advertise it as the best performing thing ever.
Etc.

Then buy the full color back page in the review publication so you will get rave reviews about the equipment that have more discussion of a CD and what esoteric cables were used that any useful discussion of performance and usability. I can count the times on one finger that a reviewer gave a truly bad product a truly bad review. Shame, as it degenerates the truly fine products.

I am pretty sure my experience is not universal, but right now I would say Audessey is totally snake oil, as it cant even lubricate a snake, let along help my room eq. Others experience may vary.

What I love in snake oil adds is where they pick up a perfectly valid fine point of physics, then ascribe magical powers to it. Cable testing comes to mind where valid physics that may matter in the LHC are applied to high power audio frequencies.

Every now and again I see a perfectly valid and useful product, but it is being sold as some over the top magical product. I just don't understand that thinking.

About once a week, I seem to have "won" some fully paid vacation I did not enter.

About twice a week "Microsoft" calls me to tell me they detected a problem with my computer, all I need to do is give them remote access. These folks are not very bright as I called them out and they keep calling. Instead of spear phishing, they are just chumming.

About twice a week "Microsoft" calls me to tell me they detected a problem with my computer, all I need to do is give them remote access. These folks are not very bright as I called them out and they keep calling. Instead of spear phishing, they are just chumming.

I got those calls too.
Usually I let them talk for a while, agree with everything they say (to an extent) and just when they feel safe that they finally found a sucker I tell them that I use an Apple Mac. They wordlessly hung up then and I haven't had one of those calls for ages.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
people say, what cant be precisely measured, is just personal opinions,fallacies,prejudices....

Not the people I know. You are mixing up a few things.
It is very well possible to get broad acceptance, also from the 'sceptics', that things exist that cannot be measured. Just do a statistically relevant controlled test to show an effect, and it will be accepted, whether it can be measured or not.

But yeah, make an anecdotal statement not based on any factual or testing backup, often accompanied by a clear ignorance about perception, and people probably call it 'just personal opinions,fallacies,prejudices....'

jan

Status
Not open for further replies.