Put the kitchen in the basement

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
There's a place in my house dedicated to making things. It has nice smooth work tops that are always kept clean. There are storage cupboards with most of the materials needed. There's even a temperature controlled storage unit for those things that have to be kept there. A sink for doing wet stuff. One or more heating units including a temperature chamber for baking out. Also included is a fan to extract fumes. Small tools are kept in drawers where they are easy to find and larger power tools in storage cupboards. It's well lit and easy to access. My wife insisted on such lavish facilities when we bought the house.

No, it's not my hobby space, it's our kitchen.

Something is wrong here. Why is my hobby space a corner of the basement where it's usually a mess, nothing can be found when needed, tools have no place on the bench top. I started to realize that things are not in balance here. The messiest guey work projects have all the benefits of a fancy kitchen, but my neat and clean electronics hobby is stuck in the basement.

(photo shows my current workspace)

Attachments

• workbench Mar 2013.JPG
    workbench Mar 2013.JPG
    355.2 KB · Views: 154
Disabled Account
Joined 2004
(photo shows my current workspace)

So unispiring...so unartistic. :)

Some photos of my basement/workshop/torture chamber....just to freak out some people. And yes I do drugs but I'm not a hippie....nor a gentleman. Actually it looks pretty bad, not proud of that...it will get better. It's a work in progress. DIY spirit all over. :)

Attachments

• DSCN1411.jpg
    DSCN1411.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 116
  • DSCN1414.jpg
    DSCN1414.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 110
  • DSCN1415.jpg
    DSCN1415.jpg
    333.1 KB · Views: 106
  • DSCN1412.jpg
    DSCN1412.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 107
Disabled Account
Joined 2004
Cassiel - the art of the workshop, you may inspire me...

Don't get the wrong 'inspiration', it may damage your lungs. BTW the' thing' on the table is a Fisher receiver. One channel sounds softer with less bass and it's driving me crazy. The sucker it's too old. All those ceramic caps, one must be guilty but which one? Am I supposed to replaced them all? Ahh DIY is fun, fixing old crap is not.

Don't get the wrong 'inspiration', it may damage your lungs. BTW the' thing' on the table is a Fisher receiver. One channel sounds softer with less bass and it's driving me crazy. The sucker it's too old. All those ceramic caps, one must be guilty but which one? Am I supposed to replaced them all? Ahh DIY is fun, fixing old crap is not.

Ceramic caps are usually in the picrofarad range and are unlikely to cause a lack of bass. I would be more concerned about electrolytic caps.

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
You'll see a Fisher receiver in my photo too - can you spot it ?

No, but there are various suspects.

Ceramic caps are usually in the picrofarad range and are unlikely to cause a lack of bass. I would be more concerned about electrolytic caps.
The electrolytic caps are all new. BTW I could play maracas with the old ones, they have this sound when you shake them. Anyway, it's fixed. The problem was in the tone section, I couldn't be bothered to replace every part so I bypassed it.

Even a three year old lytic is by far more useful than a three week old cucumber.
Some people like the taste of aged cucumbers.

Thundercrack! (1975) - IMDb

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.