List of audio "VIPs" and commercial affiliations?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The UK has very strict libel laws, very expensive lawyers and rather ignorant judges. That is why rich people from all over the world come to London if they feel someone has slighted them. Proving that the statement was true may win your case, but it won't stop the case being brought. In civil law, being rich usually beats being right as you can just wear your opponent down and use up all his money. By contrast, English criminal law is usually excellent and fair.

DF96,
True enough even here, but that is why I said if you use the statement in my opinion this usually discounts any possibility of a lawsuit for libel or slander. I am very glad that we though kicked England out with the revolution we did in fact adopt your system of laws. We have all been better for that all these years.

I think that what an individual discloses should be up to them alone.

There is one *very well known* person in the audio field who I have tried to get to participate here, even as an anonymous login, who absolutely REFUSES due to the way that he gets treated IF someone knows who he is. On one hand he becomes a one person "help desk" and on the other a "punching bag" for others. He will not do it.

I think if ur on here for a while you can pick up on who many people might be, if you participate and read. Some make no secret of it. Others prefer to remain quiet about it.

This is a real *benefit* to this forum, that well known people can mingle with everyone from the noobie up through the expert and peers without much to be worried or concerned about.

Let's not roast the goose that has laid our golden egg.

This is a real *benefit* to this forum, that well known people can mingle with everyone from the noobie up through the expert and peers without much to be worried or concerned about.

Very well put. One close friend of mine, who is very highly esteemed in the tube world, participated anonymously for that very reason- he didn't want anyone to take what he said as somehow "truer" because of his reputation, he wanted his ideas to be accepted strictly on their merits, and for people to not be intimidated about correcting him or arguing with him.

Wow. This has been done on other forums without as much suspicion. The site simply requires individuals, when they register, to say whether they are manufacturers, designers, retailers or reviewers (all of which refer only to the relevant sphere of interest). No one has to present credentials but if/when it becomes apparent the representation is false, the person is warned and/or dropped.

But let me point out that I was not the one who brought this up and I can easily live without any such labels or lists.

Members are and should continue to be free to either declare their professional audio affiliations - or not, and to either highlight these credentials or to participate as anonymously as the rest of us. I see no benefit to changing the status quo and the potential downside of infringing on the right of so-called "VIPs" to enjoy themselves here unencumbered by the trappings of their day-jobs.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.