Making LPs with a 3D Printer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was so tempted to post this in "Analog Source" but the audio is digitized and then printed. And no, it's not on a (relatively cheap) reprap or Makerbot, these are printed on a high-end, high-resolution printer. The video is a must-see (and maybe hear):
3D Printed Record

What's truly dissapointing is how the sampling rate and resolution are compared to MP3 instead of CD. <facepalm>

Even though this seems like a fruitless experiment, it is a model that is most useful to push the technology. IBM did not build Watson to play Jeopardy, they used that as a way to get people excited. We did not go to the moon for science, we went to win the cold war.

I have used 3D printers recently to produce replica parts for making flight simulators but have never used anything 3d printed to such a high resolution.
One possible DIYAudio application I have considered is 3D printing wave guides for line array HF drivers.

Just thinking here. There are several dozen totally different technologies for 3D printing. Mostly either making solid from a liquid or some sort of thermal deposit. What if one of these were combined with a machining tool? Mechanical, electron, laser. Then the ability to add shapes generated from other technologies, such as a metallic shapes. I was also thinking about printing a metallic power with a binder that could then be fired to produce sintered parts.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.