Anyone from Sweden? Need some general information.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I need someone from Sweden to offer some support for me.

I'm interested in the type of prices you guys have for some basic things, like bread, drinks, beer (of course!), gas, electronics, etc. Basically anything you guys can think of that I can compare with how much stuff costs here (Canada).

I'm interested in basically how much Canadian dollar would buy me in Sweden (I'm VERY interested in moving there in a few years, but its just wishful thinking and research right now).

Thank You all :)

I was staying in Sweden for 6 months 2 years ago. From what I remember food prices were about the same, clothing too, electronics and sporting goods were about 30% more and gas was almost doubled. It seemed like a nice country to be in. At that time they still didn't decide on Euro and that brought the Kronor down, as the prices seemed to be lower than I expected, 10 SEK=1USD then. It's different now, I guess. I spent most of the time in Stokholm and Uppsala.

well that's pretty decent, thanks peter

that's what i thought of .. very appealing country for me :)

i'm hoping that within 5 years i'll be gone from this damned city .. winnipeg is the biggest dump in canada (besides regina possibly) .. there's nothing here, no jobs, a degrading economy, murder rate on the rise .. all the goodies :(

any other input from swedes would be more than appreciated :)

that's ok
winnipeg is like 8-5 during winter anyway, so i'm used to it

also, surprisingly, their winter temperatures are what we get during the "fall" (or the not-quite-yet winter as we like to call it ..)

the 4 seasons of winnipeg: almost winter, winter, still winter, construction

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
elizard:

It is up to you, of course, but isn't it a little drastic to move across an ocean just because you don't like one city in a country?

If the weather gets to you, I could point out that southern British Columbia has some pretty nice temperatures-more moderate then Connecticut, which is not especially cold, (except for last winter, which was exceptional).

I understand you even have orange groves in BC. Last time I looked, Sweden-while ranked very high as a place to live-was decidedly citrusless.

Its more than one city getting to me. Its more like the whole country getting to me, actually all of North America getting to me.

Its not THAT drastic, I've done it before, so I have some experience.
I'm just thinking for what'll be best for my future, and more importantly for the future of my kids (who aren't even in plan yet, hell i'm not even married yet, but that's ok!).

I'm not gonna have a good, satisfied life here. Too much stuff that I don't enjoy, and although Canada is a good country, it lacks in too many things for my tastes. But of course that's a different discussion that I'd rather not get into.

Bottom line is this is something that I've decided on with my girlfriend, and we've support from both our families. Of course, right now its wishful thinking, there'll still be at least 4-5 years before any moving is considered, but its in planning stages, the idea is implemented in my mind.

elizard said:
I need someone from Sweden to offer some support for me.
Hi!

If you don't are pleased with Winnipeg why move to Sweden of all places? Why not Norway, Iceland, Ireland, Denmark, or USA the best country in the world?

When we talk climate, check where Sweden is. North of Sweden is above the artic cirle and the temperature can get down to -50 deg C! but -40 deg C is not unsual. Also, the sun is up all the time in the summer. Even Stockholm and Uppsala have bright nights.

south sweden, judging by the type of weather you have now and by some history, gets nowhere near as cold as winnipeg does .. and south sweden is what i'd be aiming for
judging by the average temperatures you guys get around -10 to -15 degree weather .. while december, january, and february are between -25 and -35 for us, and march and april are -10 to -25 ..
only in may does the frost thaw, and we still have snowfalls in may :(
north sweden i'm sure is much colder though

as far as USA being the best country in the world, i'm moving away from north america because i don't like the way of life here ..
i originally grew up in Europe, and i've the european way of life instilled in me
and after some research, sweden, followed by norway, finland and denmark, seems to be the best places as far as way of life goes ..

as far as the sun up being all summer, doesn't bother me at all :)
we have sunshine from 5am till 10pm here normally in the summer .. and i've had many days where i've slept during the day, so i'm not bothered by that

it just seems like a more attractive country to live in, that's all ..

btw, weatherwise, to make a connection
tonight it'll get down to -23, plus with the winds it'll feel like -30 or worse!
stockholm, on another hand, seems to be well above the 0 mark .. +4 .. i'll take that ANY day over -23!

also i just checked some seasonal averages right now on www.weatherunderground.com
stockhold average for december, january, february, march is -3, -5, -5, -3
for winnipeg its -19, -24, -21, -12

although i'm not THAT bothered by winter here, i would like a milder winter, and a gentler (non 35 degree weather for 7 days straight like this year) summers ..

Joined 2001
planet10 said:
We just went thru a real cold snap -- it actually got cold enuff some nights to freeze water ... dave

(Gasp!!) That low? :bigeyes: :bigeyes:

The average low temperature in January in Vancouver, BC is 0º Centigrade-freezing. Of course, it warms up during the day.

That means for perhaps five nights in January, water can actually freeze over for a few hours before thawing shortly after dawn.

Such hardy souls. How do you BC types survive? ;)

Attachments

• bc temperatures.gif
    bc temperatures.gif
    5.2 KB · Views: 135
Joined 2001
elizard said:
i originally grew up in Europe, and i've the european way of life instilled in me
and after some research, sweden, followed by norway, finland and denmark, seems to be the best places as far as way of life goes ..

It sounds like you might not even have visited Sweden.

I would think there are substantial differences in culture and way of life between different European countries. While Canada might not be your cup of tea, it is considered by most to be a pretty good country to live in so you might wish to look carefully before you leap.

Here is an article that contains a list of the top Tech countries, and also a list of the countries the UN has judged to the best places to live.
http://cooltech.iafrica.com/technews/514559.htm

Just for the heck of it, here is the list of best places to live. As you can see, you will be moving from a place that is ranked pretty high:

Norway
Australia
Canada
Sweden
Belgium
United States
Iceland
Netherlands
Japan
Finland
Switzerland
Luxembourg
France
UK
Denmark
Austria
Germany
Ireland
New Zealand
Italy

Whatever your decision, good luck! :)

I don't know what sort of standards UN used to rank them, but I wouldn't put canada up there. And I live here.

Too many people here are contempt with too little, that's why we get too little, and that's why the country is like it is.

You're right, I haven't visited Sweden, but I do plan to before I make a real decision to move there, or to move anywhere for that matter.

As I said, there's still a long time before any of this will happen, I was just looking at information.

I say go for it -- what've you got to lose? You're not going to learn much from a short visit anyway. Sweden is a beautiful country, and I'd say chances are very good you'll like it at first sight. But, it'll take a few years to find out what life there is really all about and if it's for you. If it turns out it's not, you can always move back to Canada, or try your luck someplace else. I've always wanted to spent a few years in Hong Kong...

The only reasons I can think of to hesitate are: if you have kids, repeatedly changing continents could be very hard on them; if you're old enough to think about retirement, changing countries can screw up your pension; and, unless you've got dual Canadian/EU citizenship, sorting out the immigration legalities might be tricky.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.