Anyone from Sweden? Need some general information.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hah, thanks for that link, DEFINITELY something to be wary of :)

I guess letting people know my situation would help. I'm 21 (well, in 5 days will be!), and I was hoping to do this by the time i'm 25-26, but maybe a year or two later if it doesn't go as planned. Also, it would be me with my girlfriend (or by then wife) that would be moving. No kids because I want to be settled first to make life easier for the kid.

As far as profession goes, I'm gonna major in computer science in a couple years (3rd year now), and my gf will have a degree for working with children (a full early childhood degree), so I don't think there'll be THAT much difficulty in finding a job (although I'm sure it won't land in our laps). It is a bonus that we'll both be very young, so we won't be retiring anytime soon.

As far as moving back to Canada goes, that's ALWAYS a door I'd keep open, thus I'd have dual citizenship, plus both of us would have family here, so we're always welcome back if anything should happen.

Thank you once again for all the input!

And yeah, I know I wouldn't learn much from a short visit, but it would be a good idea to do it anyways instead of moving to place you've never seen, so yeah.

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
Elizard:

For curiosity's sake, which European nation did you grow up in? The Wizard :wiz: gazes into the swirling mists of his crystal ball and discerns....(drum roll).... former Soviet bloc!

Attachments

• eastern europe map.gif
    eastern europe map.gif
    65.3 KB · Views: 111
Another question.

How is housing in Sweden? Like how many houses are on the market? What's the typicall price of a 2br house?
What about apartments? Typicall price of a 2bedroom apartment?

I know it varies greatly depending on the area, etc, but what's typicall .. like not in the slums, but not in the richest part either.

I know that in a lot of Europe, if you want a house you basically have to build it because they get passed on down the generations, and basically there's barely ever one for sale (compared to here where there's thousands for sale each year in a city like Winnpieg). Apartments are of course easier to get from my experience, but even those are scarce. That's just from my experience though.

What is it like in Sweden, and the prices is the important. I've NO conception of it unfortunately :(

Check www.notar.se for the stockholm area

bostadsrätter=co-op flats
villor=houses

The prices are starting bids, add 30% to get the "real" price.

To get an normal rental apartment in the central areas you have to be in a housing queue for minimum 15 years

I'm doing all to get away form this country. Wanna trade citzenship with me? :cool:

checking out those websites, and trying to make out the swedish best as i can (i got the basic idea of how many rooms/floors/area/price .. heh!) there seems to be quite the abundance of houses in the country (like country side)
that's kind of the goal i'm after :)

and there's those that look very nice, at not too high of a price .. most seem to run around 500,000-800,000, which is around $90,000-$130,000 CAD .. that's about what the houses run here for
except those house i've seen have a HUGE yard .. BIG bonus! :)

so far, i've heard a lot of good things, and some bad of course .. no country is perfect naturally .. but from what i've heard it is easily at least at canada's level, and exceeds it in a great number of things

some other questions that come to mind .. when you go to a store, and say want to buy something, the price that it says on the item, is that what you pay at the cashier? or do they charge you tax (i.e. is there tax .. and is it included in the price automatically, or do they calculate it only when you go to pay for everything?)
if its included that's a lot more convenient .. here you see a chocolate bar for $1.00 but you pay $1.14 for it .. very annoying if you're not used to it!

also, what is the tax rate for buying stuff? (not earning money, i got an idea of what that tax rate is, and it ain't pretty!) .. we pay 14% here ..

also, when you buy a house or a car, how are the banks in terms of giving you a loan? is it really hard to get one? easy to get one?

what about jobs in the computer industry?
i keep reading that sweden is a very hi-tech country, and getting more so every day .. that would mean there SHOULD be a lot of jobs in the industry, but i haven't been able to find out (i'll have a degree in computer science upon moving there ..)
also, how well (or not so well) are they paid?
The city i'm living in now has a serious lack of jobs of any sort, and all are seriously underpaid!
there's people with computer science education (i call them coding monkeys!) that actually are willing to work for $10-$15/hour ....
the standard in the industry is $25 and up .. they're willing to settle for half of that .. that's the problem w/ this city!!!! and nobody of course wants to pay you more, because they know there's a hundred happy code monkeys waiting to take your job for less and less pay!!!! grrr .. very annoying

anyway, all help that was given so far (especially the last 2 links!!!) has been very useful, and i appreciate it all!!!
but, as i said at the beginning, the questions will keep coming .. and hopefully so will the answers! :)

thanks guys

the biggest problem moving to sweden i'll have is that i'll probably have an aleph 5 built (looking to finish it next year), but it will weigh close to 65-70kg (150lb) .. NOT something i'd like to carry with myself, unless i can get it transported on the plane for cheap (with the plitron transformers it shouldn't be too hard to convert them to 240V if i remember right from the last project!)

Hi again.

I'm sorry to say that the "new economy" business is dead here in Sweden. Even senior technichians are unemployed now. Ericsson and other companies have been mass fiering engineers and techinicians for a couple of years now.
Unexperienced and nu grad. like me doesn't have chance to get a job.

Normal salery is about 16000 to 35000 SEK/month. Upon that you pay about 32% income tax.
Sales tax is 25% and is always included.

Check amv for jobs
http://platsbanken.ams.se/yrke/170000.html
data=computer

Worth checking out:
http://www.sweden.se/
http://www2.du.se/eng/

By the way, how is the crime? (murders, break-ins, stolen cars, roberries, etc?)
Also which cities are bad for it and which are not so, or are good as far as lack of it goes?

Is it bad to live outside of the cities (of course personal preference plays a huge part), but do you get high speed internet, tv, etc out there?

i'm just about a post *****, but ..

i'm trying to get something straight ..
is this information correct?

local tax at a rate of 26-35 percent (depending on the municipality),
national income tax of 20 percent on annual taxable earnings of between SEK 252,000 and 390,400 and 25 percent for income above SEK 390,400 (year 2001).

that's for monthly/yearly salary ..

what happens if you make lses than SEK 252,000

also, when you buy a house, do you pay any taxes? I'm thinking its 30% (from the above website), but I'm not too sure.

edit: actually reading the site its 30% that you pay if you sell a house, not buy .. right?

Thanks again

Wow, I just found out something interesting after doing some calculations.

When earning around CAD$60,000, the difference of tax you pay each year (income tax, and other deductions) in Canada is miniscule compared to the difference you pay in Sweden .. when I say miniscule, I mean its around 2.5%. At $70,000 and over that widens to 7.5% extra Sweden pays.

That's ... not much difference (7.5% is a little more, but 2.5% is NOTHING compared to the extra things you guys seem to get that Canada doesn't)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.