How to deal with migraines?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
Don't have migraines but have come across reports that magnesium supplements can be surprisingly effective.

Magnesium glycinate seems to be the best absorbed, available at health food stores or on internet.

Magnesium oxide, the type sold in supermarkets or mass drug stores, is least absorbed.

Magnesium citrate is usually available in supermarkets or large drug stores, better absorbed than the oxide, not quite as good as the glycinate.

Good luck! :)

you are being rude, if you don't want a headache then don't read my posts. :mad:

living here is giving me a headache

Apparently, your sense of humor is only present when you are doing the joking.

Petrol and diesel still are dirt cheap in Oz, less than 2/3d of Euro rates.

Attachments

• Petrol april-2012.jpg
    Petrol april-2012.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 51
Why did freax post that self-applaudatory post regarding his non-partaking of drink, tobacco and drugs - word for word - on the Pass Pub thread? I suspect that he wants as many people as possible to know something.........

Unfortunately he won't be able to read and answer this as I am already on his 'ignore' list due to a small bit of previous leg-pulling.

Yes Jacco, I agree with you.

And some get sensitive over small things.

The higher is stress level, the more we repeat automated responses instead of smart things. It is the result of tension caused by stress. Natural stress is caused by external factors. First phase is tension, second phase is relaxation. But we people keep stress going when we are cycled in our thoughts. We need to learn to relax. Some use alcohol, some use sleeping pills, but the best method is meditation.

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
We need to learn to relax. Some use alcohol, some use sleeping pills, but the best method is meditation.
I'm not sure about that. For starters my mind cannot meditate if my body is not relaxed. I don't do physical labor so if I don't do some kind of exercise there's no way for my body to get relaxed. Just like today, stayed all day at home, no exercise, only a five minute walk, and now I'm all jumpy and can't sleep. Also, some people weren't born to meditate.

There are all kinds of people, really. Some people don't need to learn to relax, on the contrary, they are way too relaxed and, instead, need constant stimuli to get going. To extrapolate one's vision into others is a common mistake. What works for you doesn't necessarily works for me.

Sex always relaxes me. Mind and body. It's a winner. All that yoga stuff....never been interested.

Apparently, your sense of humor is only present when you are doing the joking.

Petrol and diesel still are dirt cheap in Oz, less than 2/3d of Euro rates.

I am not getting the joke because I had already forgotten what I wrote, and what I wrote was indeed "living here is giving me a headache".

I thought you were offended at what I wrote and thought it was wrong and dumb.

But no mind, never matter, mind matter no mind.

Why did freax post that self-applaudatory post regarding his non-partaking of drink, tobacco and drugs - word for word - on the Pass Pub thread? I suspect that he wants as many people as possible to know something.........

Unfortunately he won't be able to read and answer this as I am already on his 'ignore' list due to a small bit of previous leg-pulling.

Yes Jacco, I agree with you.
Please see this post:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/lounge/224499-how-deal-migraines-10.html#post3285330

nah I took you off because you had some good info to share.

And some get sensitive over small things.

maybe with enough practice on worldwide forums people will learn to get along better. Without causing any migraines.

It would be nice if people could quote me more, if I get quoted when I'm being joked at then I will respond accordingly otherwise I have no idea what they are talking about.

And yeah its pretty difficult working without any emoticons for support, But I'm sure I will get the jist of it, I just hope I do before I shoot myself in the foot and scream in the ear of an unapolagetic moderator saurus rex.

The higher is stress level, the more we repeat automated responses instead of smart things. It is the result of tension caused by stress. Natural stress is caused by external factors. First phase is tension, second phase is relaxation. But we people keep stress going when we are cycled in our thoughts. We need to learn to relax. Some use alcohol, some use sleeping pills, but the best method is meditation.

I've got pretty high stress levels and I do get headaches from it.

Sometimes I wish the whole world would just foff sometimes.

I used to meditate a lot when I was a teenager, so much that I was doing it practically all the time, all because of my stupid bogan father not knowing any better and trying to push a square geek/nerd into a tradesmans/bogan school and saying "you'll like it cause I say you'll like it!"

I hate this country because there are no comicons, there are no geek shows or festivities, there are no geek social groups, 99% of the time its simply bogans in geek drag (pretending to be geeks)

Yeah that gives me stress... its giving me a headache right now.

Not getting any sleep because australians like to mow at 6am-12noon in the morning on a saturday is no fun neither. I also have dsps, delayed sleep phase syndrome, which in short words makes me sleep during the day, for as long as 12 hours per day (but i like to get 11 hours), which really isn't that high stress unless it clashes with what a bogan is doing (re: mowing the lawn, arguing about something). Its now 2:11pm in the afternoon and I went to sleep at 3-4 am last night.. every single day without fail. whats normal for me is a sleep pattern that has me sleeping at 9am and awake by 6pm, but good luck getting that during the summertime here haha...:D

Vitamin D3 helps a lot because it means I don't have to sleep during the night with drugs to help me go to sleep anymore if I don't want to. :)

I used to use it to my advantage, when I was a teenager I used to stargaze for 6-8 hours per night, that really calmed me down, a lot, I recommend it to anyone, but just make sure you have a laptop that can have a red screen theme or it will get pretty boring.:eek:

Or have a fight and throw beer bottles at my front door, or do burnouts, or go down my street at 150km/h (93mp/h), and the cops care none, now repeat this bogan behaviour ad infinitum all across the country, most of them would call it freedom and probably glass you in the face for even considering it as bad, I just call it a bad night and try and find my earplugs, thats unless of course I need to call the cops because someone is screaming outside.

Yeah I'd call that high stress.

The only guy I don't find annoying is the postman when he wakes me up with a package :p

Last edited:
I'm not sure about that. For starters my mind cannot meditate if my body is not relaxed.

It is the common mistake, when people try to meditate suppressing thoughts. The proper method is first to relax the body, and the mind will follow. Start from feet that feel the ground. Go up slowly, feeling your legs, gradually up to the tip of the head. When you discover that had been distracted by thoughts, find the dominant emotion in this thought, then say in your internal voice, "[dominant emotion], let it go" and switch back to the feeling of that part of the body from which the thought distracted your attention. If there is no emotion in the thought, just say, "Not hear and now, let it go". I.e. concentrate on your calming down body, feeling how it's getting relaxed, heavier, warmer, how you breath through the nose, slowly and fully, by diaphragm, relaxing the chest on each exhale; it is kinestetic feeling, but when distracted by visual images that cause emotions switch to internal dialogue turning the emotion down, and go back to kinestetic feeling of relaxation. It trains automatic reaction that turns each negative emotion into relaxation.
K->V->ID->K cycle ten programs as a pattern, and some time later you don't need to pay attention. You read something nasty on form, it creates bad feelings, but instead of getting pissed off you relax i few seconds and laugh. That means, meditation works not only during the meditation, but in ordinary life as well creating new strategy.

I don't do physical labor so if I don't do some kind of exercise there's no way for my body to get relaxed. Just like today, stayed all day at home, no exercise, only a five minute walk, and now I'm all jumpy and can't sleep. Also, some people weren't born to meditate.

It is called limiting belief. All people from birth know how to come back to "here and now" from thoughts that cause emotions. Recalling emotionally charged past creates artificial stress. The lower brain can't tell the difference between real danger and remembered one. Nor between real danger and fear of something in the future, so it causes increase of adrenaline level when it is not needed. Then the upper brain starts searching for causes of the stress and finds them in something that would not cause the stress at all if you were not tense already.
Learning to live in society we loose this ability, each one to own degree. I lost it almost completely as the result of many stresses in my life that happened against my will, and learning to relax using alcohol, but later I myself created stresses by own thoughts only. It has to be changed, and it is more and more changed while I change my style of life re-learning the ability to relax and live here and now, thanks to meditations. And I know if I continue to learn, meditating every day no matter what happens, I will never have migraines anymore. I did not have them almost 2 years, then slowly returned back to former life stopping meditations, "I am too busy to meditate". The result was, enormous tension, fear to loose the job, fear to loose the house, fear of news in Internet, fear to not finish projects, fear that project are not perfect, and so on, then headaches every day, then pain in legs, then migraine.

There are all kinds of people, really. Some people don't need to learn to relax, on the contrary, they are way too relaxed and, instead, need constant stimuli to get going. To extrapolate one's vision into others is a common mistake. What works for you doesn't necessarily works for me.

Yes, some people have "thick skin" and it is hard to **** them off. That mans, they did not loose the ability to relax.

Sex always relaxes me. Mind and body. It's a winner. All that yoga stuff....never been interested.

Yes, sex relaxes. You may laugh, but when people lost natural ability to relax and got stuck in own negative thoughts they can be addicted to sex, like to alcohol or narcotics. And they go to doctors asking for help.

I'm not sure about that. For starters my mind cannot meditate if my body is not relaxed. I don't do physical labor so if I don't do some kind of exercise there's no way for my body to get relaxed. Just like today, stayed all day at home, no exercise, only a five minute walk, and now I'm all jumpy and can't sleep. Also, some people weren't born to meditate.

I don't exercise either, at all, and I used to do it a lot as recently as last year, one thing that gives me high stress and anxiety is sugar and caffeine, I would have to agree that it does lower stress levels.

agreed, trying to get other people to understand a viewpoint is both one of the most difficult things someone can do and one of the most annoying for the person receiving the idea, but sometimes it does chime in and work.

Yes sex works for both sexes, females on their period will find relief from it and males will too, but not always.

Last edited:
I don't think we have members here with lack of motivation. Rather, over-motivated. And "all or nothing" audiophile approach is typical for addicts. ;)

amen sister!!

I was doing level 10 for 30-45 minutes in 2 sessions a day..

level 10 is 300 calories burnt in 15 minutes if you keep it at 15mph.

Then I was punching bags for 10 minutes.

Then I was doing weightlifting with whatever else I had left.

At the end of the day I decided I'd rather not be viewed as a brute and scare away all of the girls, it tends to get you locked up in prison on accusation alone.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.