The Weather

I make a point about not complaining about the heat, we have so little of that, usually.
But I can state a fact: It's been very hot this year.

Finally it seems the rain has come to water the forest. It is too late for the dried up blueberries, the dead spruce and pine trees, the cloudberries are also dry and the season was too short to collect any... I am hoping there will be a few mushrooms to pick maybe this weekend if I am very lucky.

I have a big problem: What on earth should I use to make wine this year?
Have been oogling the berries on my hawthorn bushes, maybe I can mix them with apples...?

Finally and hopefully a full day of rain. Hope it is raining further north of us too, north of Perry Sound area where there is a huge forest fire burning for over a week now. They say it was started by lightning. Poor BC interior, California and Portugal, wish they could get some rain too.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2017
burrrr

Attachments

• 155-diyaudio.jpg
    155-diyaudio.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
It's colder now, 5c this morning, feels nice. More rain too, but there's no hope for mushroom season, maybe there will be some traktkantarell/Cantharellus tubaeformis (yellow foot for US citizens) later on, but everything else: no hope.

I found out I was just too late to get sour cherries at a local farm *facepalm*. Still oogling the hawthorn bushes...

When you say hawthorn, do you mean the dark blue stonehard berries growing on 'thorny' bushes:
SLÅNBÄR
or the sour yellow berries growing on yet more 'thorny' bushes:
HAVTORN.

We have a few litres of liqueur of the yellow berries - Havtorn, in Swedish, but would appreciate a small bucket of the black ones to make a batch of sloe gin.

Today, temperatures are normal Summer temperatures, but I see people dressed in Winter coats ...:boggled:

None of the above.
She blue ones we call Slåpebær, those you call Havtorn are called Tindved here (Hippophae rhamnoides). We call it Tindved because the branches where good for making Rive/Rake with, the wood is strong and somewhat resilient, and well suited to make "rive tinder" (the pointy bits on the end). Rake (tool - Wikipedia)

Hagtorn is what we have in our garden, here is a link with a short description in Swedish:
Hagtorn — Dags Att Plocka

Here's a page that lists what you can make with Hawthorn in English:
what can I do with hawthorn berries? | wild*crafty

Hagtorn/Hawthorn has a lot of benefits related to heart rate, blood flow and strength of the heart contractions.
If there is one thing the Hagtorn is absolutely no-good for, it's the huge thorns that have gone right through my shoes at several ocassions...
Edit:
(Yes, I wear shoes when going to that part of the garden, being barefoot is a risk sport there.)

Last edited:
Last days here in Foz do Iguaçu are cold, also (4 to 8°C minimum last days)
Some days with maximum being less than 11°C!
Inside my apartment was 16°C at 18:00PM these days, and windows points to West...
Uncommon in August here, to have various colder days in the row. Here winter comes early, but also ends earlier than the east part of this State (Paraná), due to continental dry hot air influence. Not this year...
Even after some hot days last month earlier.
Only yesterday the maximum was > 20°C (22.5°C) and my longe have 21°C inside.
For next days, minimum will be >11°C and maximum >25°C (good)

It has been raining all day here too.
It looks like our hot dry summer has now ended.
It was nothing like the end of the last very dry summer we had back in 1976. The government appointed a minister for the drought.
It proved to be the best rain dance ever.
The next day it went dark in the middle of the day and then lit up electric blue and flooded roads and railways.
The thunder was howling and making all of those funny noises you only hear on the odd rare occasion.

Winter to me is the Sun is truely gone by 8PM. I dislike the Equator for this reason.

An interesting factoid to put with others ( I say factoid as it's hard for me to prove them ). The Sun is technically over the horizon when we can just about still see all of it. That is said to be due to the light bending power of the atmosphere. It's similar to the fact that the Sun and the Moon have similar sizes as perspective. If at 10 metres from average sea level a green flash can be seen as the Sun sinks, the sea being more ideal to see it. I seem to remember 10 metres is optimum.