The Weather

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
500 miles north of Jack's PRNJ, we have "83" for a high on the thermometer behind the chicken shack, but I think there's a couple degrees of solar-heat in that. Certainly mid-70s mid-afternoon. Still just above freezing in the ditches, and I suspect I still have frost in one drain.

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Got ourselves some nice wild weather moving up from the southern coast then its expected to clear up for the next 4 days at least.

Attachments

• 010-diyaudio.jpg
    010-diyaudio.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
16C = 61F today and great sunshine. That's the worst thing about the UK. If you like the weather we get is like long hair flapping in the wind. We always are at the hair's end. It means nothing is for certain and we can completely miss a summer if the Jet Stream ( not Gulf ) moves 100 miles down. Give me 61F and sun rather than higher when overcast. France and Germany seem not to get this weather as the land mass fights back. Equally, I've seen rivers frozen solid in Belgium whilist 30 miles away in UK they are not. The Bain Marie that is the sea. That's why NZ might resist climate change best.

As I get older I don't seem to react so much to my 16/61 to 28/82 weather ideal. Below or above is not so good. I mostly react to sun. We had 5C the other day yet the sun was burning. Very weird. In Sri Lanka I found it much better than I imagined. OK it was hot, it wasn't overpowering and I didn't get sunburnt! No good saying it was winter as it is perpetual summer there. BTW. It's a lovely place. I had gout and was told off by a lady my age for not wearing shoes as if my mother. That was on a long return rail journey for about 70C US on the 5 foot 6 inch railway 2nd class. The Brits gave India etc the railway we should have had. Not the 5'3" of Russia or Spain. Nor the 7' 0.5" of the GWR. To my mind 5'6" is the best. 4' 8.5" is Roman. Stephenson worked in a mine that had the Roman gauge. I have photo's from the south of France ( near Lunel ) from a Roman town under the motorway. The grooves the chariots made exactly 4' 8.5". It was due to the Roman regulations saying all should be the same. I suspect a Roman Mile is 1000 chariots width ( not the wheel width ). Some say 2000 paces. That is not logical.

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
I'm already pretty close to NZ so I'm good. Others might be willing to move there. But the natives are pretty feral/criminal I've heard.

I wouldn't move to NZ I would go to Aus if I am overseas and were to relocate. Much more breathing room available.

As for climate I'm not sure we should be so concerned, I would be more concerned where I'm going to be getting my scone mix and jam and tea and bikkies. Any sort of climate change is going to be constricting the sources of our food.

As was said Lithium is hard to recycle as it is highly reactive. On the other hand it might be possible to recycle the compounds of lithium. This is a bit like recycling aircraft alloys. Best to convert them into ingots of that alloy. I am on a project right now to do that. We actually want that alloy for a project unrelated to aircraft. I don't need it certificated so stand to get a good price. If anyone tried to make pure aluminium from this alloy they would be wasting their time.

The future of automotive lithium-ion battery recycling: Charting a sustainable course - ScienceDirect

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Melbourne, Sydney weather: Cold front to bring wild, ‘freezing’ conditions

Sydneysiders can expected a frosty Friday with forecasts predicting the coolest day since November 2017. Temperatures are currently about five degrees above the averages for May, sitting at 25C.
While Sydney will be spared heavy rain during the chill, Melbourne is facing a month’s worth in three days — the wettest period so far this year.
Today and tomorrow’s expected 13C maximum for Melbourne will also be the coldest two days this early in autumn since 1978.
The heaviest of the rain is predicated for tomorrow when at least 20mm is expected to fall on the state.
The Bureau of Meteorology has issued a severe weather warning for large parts of Victoria, including for Melbourne, which is bracing for heavy rainfall.

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Howling wind and a cold front from the arctic, Fun.

Just wish it was even colder. I was expecting a foot of snow and expecting to go rescue my son from the library in new york because of global warming but all I'm getting is intermittent rainfall and howling wind, what gives?

Still the temps are hovering around 12-14 degrees C outside in the wind. Impressive for this time of year.

I was kind of hoping Australia would turn into a winter wonderland, that way I can store my ginger beer outside. Maybe I just need to wait 3 more months for winter to be "officially" here.

Last edited:
I actually had to turn the heating system back on! Low 40's F last night and not much warmer for a few days.

As the heating system is hot water sharing the potable water heater I shut down the valves to the pump systems as some heat circulates even with the pumps off. Very old hot water heating systems just used gravity and the heat rises concept for circulation so it actually was noticable if the valves were left open even with the pumps off. Raised the temperature by about 10 degrees F.