The Weather

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
kevin - it'll be a couple of months before our back yard is not too soggy to cut the grass (we're at the bottom of a slope with a small spring in back corner of the yard), but eventually we're gonna be in the market to replace our 10yr old Toro, What brand / size 'lectric did you to go for?

Hi Chris,
We got one of these: Shop Greenworks Pro 60-volt Brushless Lithium Ion 21-in Deck Width Cordless Electric Lawn Mower with Mulching Capability (Battery Included) at Lowes.com

We're very pleased with it so far... We have a pretty small lawn, if you can do it all in an hour or so a single battery should suffice, otherwise you might need two or a bigger mower.

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Saying that small engines smog more than cars is become a weak statement.

Fair enough.

My generators are propane so no gasoline-spills. (The new sno-blo is gas-sloppy.)
I would love to see what kit you used or how you manage to mod that. I'm considering getting a 2.4kW Ryobi generator but would love to modify it so it runs on propane just so I can use it as a dual fuel. So a mod involving no destruction of the factory fuel delivery system would be ok.

Ryobi 2400W Portable 4 Stroke Petrol Generator | Bunnings Warehouse

To use during a lengthened power outage (longer than 12 hours)

Gas-station pumps no longer spill gas (hardly-ever). I wish the gas-engine and gas-can makers would come together and develop a standard filler that will NOT slop.
Doing that might require more work than its worth, expending energy to fix a widespread problem usually produces little benefits. I just use plastic jerry cans now with a plastic filler spout/neck to fill up my brothers whipper snipper and the lawnmower whenever its needing topping off, they are superior to the old metal jerry can spouts of old as long as you don't lose the rubber nozzle gasket. They taper down to a smaller exit at the end aswell but the best part is that you can tip it over on a longer arch and control the flow a lot easier than you can on a metal jerry can spout. See attached pic for the spout.

Some years back I gushed gasoline all over my snow-suit in freezing weather. It BURNS. It can be quite serious.
Funny how that goes in cold weather environments, here even if its on your clothes it evaporates within a few minutes in the sun but leaves behind an oily residue which only comes out with furious scrubbing with laundry soap and water.

Attachments

• diyaudio-216.jpg
    diyaudio-216.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
"Its cold today"

And it is only +2C here on the English Riviera, but my b****y gas central heating boiler has just switched itself off. Terminally! So, A cold night.

Fortunately I have a contract with British Gas and the internet has allowed me to book a priority callout for tomorrow morning.

We awoke to 40-some F one day when our heater went out. We all slept really well. It was the waking up that was brutal :D. Good luck!

I would love to see what kit you used or how you manage to mod that. I'm considering getting a 2.4kW Ryobi generator but would love to modify it so it runs on propane just so I can use it as a dual fuel. So a mod involving no destruction of the factory fuel delivery system would be ok.

My 91y.o. father lives in a remote part of NH and has a propane generator (to go with propane heat and stove). It is designed as a propane unit. The generator will provide plenty of power for key needs including furnace startup and water well. It will start automatically when power goes out, and even starts up once a week on a schedule to test itself. They lose power A LOT and it tends to be out for long periods (there's a long line from the street to the house through woods), and at his age and our winter temperatures, it's pretty important. I live a 1.5 hour drive away in the best weather, so am not able to be much help on short notice.

[melt]

verb (used without object), melted, melted or molten, melting.
to become liquefied by warmth or heat, as ice, snow, butter, or metal.
to become liquid; dissolve:
Let the cough drop melt in your mouth.
to pass, dwindle, or fade gradually (often followed by away):
His fortune slowly melted away.
Explore Dictiona

Are you still speaking Gaelic up there? :D

Hi Chris,
We got one of these: Shop Greenworks Pro 60-volt Brushless Lithium Ion 21-in Deck Width Cordless Electric Lawn Mower with Mulching Capability (Battery Included) at Lowes.com

We're very pleased with it so far... We have a pretty small lawn, if you can do it all in an hour or so a single battery should suffice, otherwise you might need two or a bigger mower.

Thanks, Kevin - the Canadian Lowes' house brand are labelled Kobalt, but I'd like to assume they're close enough. Price for basic mower is reasonable enough - I think our last gas mower was almost the same about 10yrs ago. Extra batteries are available as well.

Chet - back to you for the regularly schedule weather reports