The Weather

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yeah, there have been a lot of snow storms this winter, I think this entirely makes up for last year's very mild and short winter. Certainly no shortage of white stuff in these parts. Hopefully this means local water supplies will be a bit more robust this year. I'm expecting we'll have another hurricane this summer based on recent precedent.. :D

I'm fortunate to have several roller rinks less than an hour away with truly excellent week night adult sessions. I've been skating continuously for 30yrs, and have some friends that span that entire time frame.. :geezer: :D

Decent snow New Years day, then another 13" (33cm) yesterday; -5F (-21C) temp now with wind chill at -29F (-34C) and low tonight -11F (-24C) with wind chill -40F (-40C). Pretty astute to rechristen global warming as climate change. These are the days when being retired is the sweetest - get half awoke to the sound of snow-blowers and spinning tires about 6AM then back to sleep until the sun is up and the coffee is brewing. Pretty sure we'll put more gas into the snow-blower than the car this week.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Has been pretty mild here today - up to 60 F (15C) and monsoon rain.. The 13" (33cm) of snow we got Thursday night is all gone as of today, yesterday it was quite present. The lowest temps here about -6F ( -21C) on Saturday morning early. It has dropped 25 degrees F (14 degrees C) in the past 3 hours, and is headed for the single digits again, and snow tonight. Tomorrow will be quite cold in the high teens (maybe -10C or so). Quite the meteorological roller coaster, but honestly this is not all that unusual for New England. There has been quite a lot of talk about the Arctic Vortex, but umm are we wussing out? Midwest, yeah it is dangerous, milder here, and not far from what we are used to theoretically. Guess the media has to have their fun..

Decent snow New Years day, then another 13" (33cm) yesterday; -5F (-21C) temp now with wind chill at -29F (-34C) and low tonight -11F (-24C) with wind chill -40F (-40C). . . .
Those conditions help keep the riff-raff away. At least that's what we said when I lived in the State of Superior (about 550 miles northwest of you: http://www.pasty.com/snow/index.html and http://www.mtu.edu/webcams/mid-campus/ ).

St Louis (MO - not MI) area got about 10" yesterday, and they say temps around -10F are the coldest we've seen in over 15 years.

Wife & I spent a couple hours clearing porch and driveway around mid day, then showered with my steady, and then we . . . ummm . . . did something else.

Dale

At least that's what we said when I lived in the State of Superior (about 550 miles northwest of you: The Keweenaw Snow Thermometer and Mid-Campus Cam Still Image | Webcams | Michigan Technological University ).

In our younger days when sleeping on the ground was tolerable my wife and I used to love camping in the U.P. in general and on the Keweenaw peninsula in particular. It always impressed me as the best land getaway this side of the Mississippi. Nowadays I prefer a boat to a tent and the eastern shore of Georgian Bay.