The Weather

"3RS" doesn't exactly ring a bell

3RS = third rock from the sun = earth.

Where on that rock????

I'd rather have *dry* 45ºC than humid 35ºC

Thats the deal here in the summer. I live on the edge of the Florida Everglades, too far from the ocean to benefit from the ocean breeze. From mid June to September it is 90 to 104F with humidity in the 90 to 100% range and no air movement. It sucks.

It is now mid winter. So far we have had 2 days that were NOT above 80F. At least the humidity is in the 60 to 70% range. Every 10 years or so we will get a week around freezing which kills off the citrus and strawberry crops. It's been about 5 years since that has happened. It has snowed in Ft. Lauderdale exactly once in recorded history, and I slept through it (1977).

I've been to the Everglades and that's no human territory.
stock-photo-group-of-american-alligators-alligator-mississippiensis-basking-in-the-sun-in-the-florida-39819463.jpg

They FULLY agree with you. :p

And have preceded us by at least 1 Million years, so I guess the Right is on their side :D

When I was much younger and dumber, I used to go camping out there with some friends. Let's see, teenagers, alcohol, other mind numbing substances, several loaded guns, and some general stupidity, recipe for disaster?????

An alligator will generally leave a human alone, UNLESS you go near a nesting female. Hunting dogs are a different story. To a gator, they are a tasty meal. You row the canoe down a canal and the gators will quietly slide into the water and go under. It is spooky to be out there on a dark night. You shine a light along a canal bank and you see what looks like pairs of red LED's spaced a few inches apart. Those are gator eyes! They're watching you......

Wild boar are agressive and will charge a human. Not too common in the swampy area we used to go to. Fresh water crocodiles are agressive, and are starting to be a problem, but I never saw one when I used to go out there. Several species of large non native snakes like pythons are becoming a new problem.

The real human repellent are the mosquitoes. There can be millions per acre and the each need to draw mammal blood (a protein meal) in order to reproduce. Humans have thin skin and mosquitoes have CO2 sensors! They will target you like a laser guided drilling machine!

According to school rules in Siberia, when it was below -35 we could stay home.

A friend of mine was doing his military service in Siberia. They were camping. If, in the night they had to go to the toilet (in the bushes of course) they had to wake a friend to go with them. The friend was to take a branch off a bush and use it to beat the exposed bottom of the person going to the toilet so that the biting insects would not settle on.... sensitive parts. And it was cold too.

Well, we're expecting a bit of a storm in our place tonight and tomorrow....

many nice winter pictures from russia -

7%2838%29.jpg

Âåñåëûå âûõîäíûå â äûðêå îò áóáëèêà

Ôîòîàëüáîìû UralWeb

Oymyakon, the coldest village on earth:

read an article about Oymyakon in readers digest in the 70's.

said when one exhales on can see their breath of course.

and one can hear the cracking noise, as the moisture freezes in mid air .

and they don't put anti-freeze in the cars,

as they don't leave them outdoors when not running .

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
60cm of snow here in 12hrs or less, no power for 24hrs, when power was restored last night it was a balmy -12C (10F)

Rewired our gas fired steam boiler to run off of one of my UPS, run time was about an hour, and this was just enough with our gas stove to keep the house at roughly 14 - 15 degrees C..

I'll post some pictures later..

Tomorrow they're saying rain.. I'm sure that will make things quite treacherous.