The Weather

I was working with a guy from Ireland. It was a cold, windy, dark, rainy afternoon; just awful. In jest I asked him if this weather made him homesick. He actually got a little teary eyed and started sniffling. I asked him if the weather was like this every day in Ireland and he said "No, not every day; just 350 days a year."

I'm not sure if you're joking, but it DOES get a bit tedious! Mind you, not enough to come back (my family moved here from Scotland in 1967). But a bit more rain...
I waasn't quite joking but have to admit I don't blame you for not returning to blighty.
I lived in Argyll for about 10years, near Lochgilphead and summer was a couple of weeks in May until recently when it's an additional two weeks in June too.
In 2019 I returned to the North Easct England coast and had forgotten how much drier, brighter and warmer it was. I still pine for the Argyll scenery and as we had a few hots days last month (26c in Argyll), I hired a camper for a few days.. Not many tourists about that time of year so plenty of wild camping spots.

Severe Storm conditions over Scotland!

Storm Babet. The second one of the season after Storm Agnes called chaos and flooding recently.

It's blowin' a near gusting 100 mph Hoolie in Aberdeen! Rainfall an inch an hour. Trees blowin' down.

Scotland 19 Oct 2023.jpg

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-scotland-67146840

Why do people not listen to Red Weather warnings?

NO, they just think they should carry on as normal.

Conditions a bit better near Southampton and Portsmouth UK. But I know when to stay in and batten down the hatches.

Attachments

• Storm Babet.jpg
    Storm Babet.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 46
Reactions: 1 user
I live near the NE coast of England and the wind is picking up again and peaking tomorrow 7am, with heavy rain from midnight, all Friday and most of Saturday. I expect flooding, though thankfully, not near me but I could be cut off.

My biggest concern is a power outage as I am all electric and my 700w genny isn't going to be a lot of use. (note to self, get some petrol for it just in case)
I do have a multifuel stove but it's decommissioned - maybe a good idea to get back in working order in case we have a really severe winter.....

We had the highest daily rainfall since 2003 at our closest weather station.
It is a high quality home one and is locally well respected.
The rainfall records are a short scroll down from the temperatures.
https://www.sheffieldweather.net/record.htm
We went to the supermarket and had to divert to another one due to waste deep water in the road.
The water was below the axles on our second attempt and we had no problem with that.

We should get used to such weather happening more often.

Good for sales of SUVs with higher ground clearance, and bad news for some EV owners and low slung sport cars.

I wonder how many of these are at the dealer waiting for major repairs. (I pity them because parts are scarce and insurance for them is already 70% more than a year ago and will rise even more)

I woke up this morning at about 6:15 AM. My phone said that it was snowing. I doubted it, but looked outside, and for once it was right. I put on a pair of pants and went outside. It wasn't snowing much, and the strong wind made it go sideways. I saw a neat colorful display of snowflakes in a spider web that was being illuminated from the back side by a big "100 watt" LED floodlight that lights up my front yard at night. I went inside to fetch my camera but by the time I had returned the wind and the increasing weight of the snow had ripped the web off the rain gutter.....no pictures.

I put the term 100 watt in quotations because this light uses some kind of special magic power. It is a "100 watt" floodlight that only consumes about 75 watts from the AC line.

It's a flippin' Hurricane in the Channel Isles! It could be 1987 all over again. It will be blowin' right up our street in Portsmouth, Hampshire on the south coast.

Hurricane 2 Nov 2023.png

We too are expecting peak 100 km/h in Hampshire where Hurricanes hardly ever happen, as the song in "My Fair Lady" goes. My plum tree is already leaning sideways even at 60km, it's looking dodgy.

I have shut all windows. Stocked up with food. Have located candles and torches. Expecting bangs and crashes in the night. Oh well, Keep Calm and Carry On.