The Weather

Waxx,

Been through three earthquakes, my experience is a flood is way worse. Still waiting for the fire, for the trifecta.

I expect the losses to be even higher than you mentioned.

I am waiting to see where to send my donation.

If you want to donate for Belgium; info is found here on the (french language) site of the Red Cross (Croix Rouge) Belgium: Je donne a la Croix-Rouge

The Red Cross manages all help on demand of and in coöperation with the national gouverment and the local gouverments down here. Site is in french as that is the language of the region (or at least a dialect of french, called Wallon).

There is also a dutch language site as the north of Belgium speaks dutch dialects called (grouped) Flemish: Hoe kan je helpen? | Rode Kruis

Jack,

That is a $50 tool! What is your life worth? What are the odds you will be caught in a rising flood?

I can see how keeping the weight down in a tool kit is important.

A purpose made stinger hammer is $15. Seems to me they will make great Christmas gifts from a weird uncle! Of course if anyone ever uses it!!!!

Ed,

Starret is the "gold standard" brand. Starret is in my tool box at the shop.

you can buy the cheep ones for $15.

Thanks DT

The idea is you break a side window to let in enough water you can open the door.

Cal, the prior comment was the the New Jersey paramedics carried Starret automatic center punches.

So does anyone here keep emergency supplies in their car?

I have been known to keep a sleeping bag, food, tools and a first aid kit.

Next we could talk about food and water kept at home.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Cal: whilst I have friends with expedition grade vehicles (one drove to the artic circle from UK one xmas just for lolz) I am lulled into a false sense of security by never actually going more than a couple of miles from the nearest house, what with being on a small island and all. Where you are there is a lot of **** end of beyond to get stuck in!

Ed: Looks like disasters follow you around. I'll be safe as long as I stay at least 500 miles from you :p

I’m amazed at the level of response to major hurricanes here in FL, just about 3 yrs ago we took a direct hit from a cat 5 (Michael)……. fema and national guard was here directly with search and rescue, food/water. hats off to duke energy…..power restored in 10 days (of course it was a year b4 it was fully repaired).
I suppose when you do it over n over every year you get it streamlined.

The storm surge was 18’ devastating the the small fishing village style towns here, luckily my house is 11’ above sea level and then on 10’ pilings.
Biggest problem I’ve had (I know this is petty but psychologically it’s rough)is the devastation to the trees…..not just the wind damage but the salt water infiltration is still killing 80% of the two and three hundred year old longleaf and loblolly pines that made this place so special. Now it’s a woodpecker/carpenter bee/termite paradise!

There’s a reason why the pros carry starrett and everyone should take a cue from it…….the cheap $5 spring loaded punch’s don’t work after awhile (even from just sitting in the toolbox,believe me I know)……..I depend on my tools to make a living and learned many years ago that it’s best to bite the bullet and buy the highest quality you can afford.

There’s a reason why the pros carry starrett and everyone should take a cue from it…….
For my home workbench I do.
the cheap $5 spring loaded punch’s don’t work after awhile (even from just sitting in the toolbox,believe me I know)
I unscrew them and soak them in silicone lubricant before placing in the portable tool box. Works like a charm. The cheap ones fail after repeated use but that's not what happens with the emergency one.
……..I depend on my tools to make a living and learned many years ago that it’s best to bite the bullet and buy the highest quality you can afford.
For years my living depended on what was in my tool belt and box, you are preaching to the converted. I find this is a different situation.

Yet another week of warm and sunny. No rain in site. Not a good thing.

First aid kit is a legal requirement in much of Europe so I always carry one.

And gilet jaune

Food is a given as you need to keep throwing that at small children to keep them quiet. Does a folding kite and a frisbee count as survival gear as I always keep those in the car?

The grand-kids will eat french fries when they are stone-cold.

This tool was sold as a fund-raiser for one of the Westchester NY Volunteer Fire Departments:

Attachments

• IMG_5904.JPG
    IMG_5904.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 102